Shields and Kazmir - possible early shutdowns - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Shields and Kazmir - possible early shutdowns

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Shields and Kazmir - possible early shutdowns

Postby Danger » Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:09 pm

Aug 18 The Devil Rays will closely monitor Shields' pitch counts over the last six weeks of the season, the St. Petersburg Times reports.

Recommendation: Shields pitched 187.1 innings in 2006 between the Rays and Triple-A Durham; he's already at 170.2 innings after his last outing in Boston on Monday. Rays manager Joe Maddon said that, as a general rule, the organization doesn't want young pitchers to exceed more than 20 percent of the pitches they threw the season before. That implies the Rays will try to shave an inning off Shields' outings here and there, and perhaps shut him down early if he gets to 215 innings or so before the last week of the season.

Aug 18 The Devil Rays will closely monitor Kazmir's pitch counts over the last six weeks of the season, the St. Petersburg Times reports.

Recommendation: Kazmir has averaged just 100.5 pitches over his last six starts, leaving four of those outings after throwing just 98 pitches or less. Kazmir had been averaging over 107 pitches per start prior to that. Kazmir missed most of the second half of 2006 due to arm troubles, so he's already thrown 351 more pitches this year than he threw all of last year. Expect the Rays to limit Kazmir to about six innings per start the rest of the way, and the Rays could shut Kazmir down a week or so early, or even sooner should should the slightest owie surface.

With absolutely nothing to play for I guess this was a bit expected from the Rays. No need to risk injury to their future aces but of course not good news for fantasy owners, especially me since I have both %-6
Danger
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Shields and Kazmir - possible early shutdowns

Postby schmidty » Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:28 am

Well, I won't complain if they skip games @ Fenway and Yankee stadium. Unfortunately, I don't think it will work like that :-D
schmidty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Smileyman9 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:22 am

As a D-rays fan I'm happy to see them concerned with the future of two young arms that should help them have an +.500 season next year;

As a fantasy owner this hurts a bunch and makes you wonder at what point do they stop babying them? Shields is 25 (26 in the off-season) but in his first full MLB season. Kazmir is a tad younger *(23) and has had arm issues in the past. Is next year the season that they throw caution to the wind?
Smileyman9
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby damnitman » Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:09 pm

Where is this news from? Also would one be inclined to try and deal him off now..say for someone like B Upton?
damnitman
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Smileyman9 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:19 pm

Not sure of the trade value,; The information is from Yahoo's blurbs and notes;
Smileyman9
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby damnitman » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:20 pm

Any Devil Ray fans know anything bout this?
damnitman
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Pedros Little Friend » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:23 pm

espn's news blurbs reported that the rays'll go to a 6 man rotation in order to limit both of their innings. this is certainly better for fantasy owners than a complete shutdown but still hurts their values.
Pedros Little Friend
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Injuries & Player Updates