Chris Young (Dbacks) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Chris Young (Dbacks)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Chris Young (Dbacks)

Postby mtxdevil » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:16 pm

He just jacked another HR, and has been on fire the past few games. Other than his horrible average, his stats are pretty impressive. 23 homers now and 19 SBs. He's got a bright future. ;-D
mtxdevil
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Chris Young (Dbacks)

Postby os_gamejunkie » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:32 pm

mtxdevil wrote:He just jacked another HR, and has been on fire the past few games. Other than his horrible average, his stats are pretty impressive. 23 homers now and 19 SBs. He's got a bright future. ;-D

He is Soriano-esque. If it wasn't for his horrbible BA, I'd go after him.
os_gamejunkie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:37 pm

I've had him stashed most of the season but have been playing him the last couple weeks. I'm loving his current resurgence. He's definitely a 30-30 type guy in the very near future. ;-D
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby pangbones » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:10 pm

Another good young player I was forced to drop a long time ago!! :-t Now he could really be helping me out!! He needs to become a little more patient at the plate, but he looks like he's gonna be a 30-30 guy, maybe as soon as this year!!
pangbones
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Athrun340 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:13 pm

holy crap .. i didnt even know that this guy is having a good year.

Thx to your thread ;-D
^^Ty Smoovethug^^
Athrun340
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:29 pm

There are a few homers out there who liken Chris Young to Carlos Beltran. Seems optimistic, but I think Young is a reasonable 20/20, 25/25 hitter in his future although his average is likely to fall in the .260-270 range, tops. He has the tools to achieve this, but like most prospects breaking into the majors for the first couple of years, he'll prove to be maddening with his plate discipline. Definitely worth the pickup given he's swinging a hot bat coupled with his upside.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby pat189 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:25 am

it's kinda funny he is on pace for about 30/30 but his average makes people stay away from him..

He has an OBP of .290, imagine how many steals he would have if he could get on base more often..
pat189
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:56 am

Yahoo wrote:Aug 20 Young established a National League milestone Sunday, becoming the first rookie to attain 20 homers and 20 steals in a season.
Recommendation: His steal of home Sunday represented his 20th theft of the season and catapulted him into the record books. He is only the eighth rookie in major league history to reach that plateau. Very impressive considering he has 37 games remaining to pad those numbers.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby J35J » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:24 am

Extremely talented but I think the .260-.270 Avg prediction is a bit optimistic.....I think he'll settle in to be a .250 hitter personally. And being a .250 hitter means he'll likely be very streaky so his value in H2H leagues drops just slightly.

With that said, he's obviously got value in what he can bring to the table just don't get carried away, IMHO.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 358)

Postby Pirates4Life » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:25 pm

While it's way too early to have a guess on where his BA will end up down the road, he's got a strong track record and came to the majors with a reputation for being able to make adjustments.

While his BA remained in the .260-.280 range in his last 3 stops in the minors, he was young for each level, reaching AAA at age 22. The thing that really stands out is the improvement he made each year in his K and BB rates.

2004, age 20, A - 145:66 K:BB ratio in 465 ABs
2005, age 21, AA - 129:70 in 466 ABs
2006, age 22, AAA - 71:52 in 402 ABs

While that success hasn't yet carried into the majors, he's only 23 and he's been a .266-320-.512 hitter out of the leadoff spot this year. I don't think the kid is peaking at age 23, and I think he's the type of talent that'll take this season and learn from it in a big way. His history says he will.

In July and August, he's walked once every 10.8 ABs (once every 20.1 ABs for the first 3 months). He's also been striking out more, hitting more HRs, and stealing more bases. I guess you win some and lose some. He's getting more comfortable, and when his BABIP comes up a bit (it's only about .250 right now), he's got a chance to be a true 5 category stud.
Pirates4Life
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers