The official HanRam for NL MVP thread... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The official HanRam for NL MVP thread...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: The official HanRam for NL MVP thread...

Postby Yoda » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:38 am

Snakes Gould wrote:
Yoda wrote:Hanley > Reyes will ever be.

im pretty sure you havent always had that viewpoint ;-7

as for 40/40 potential someday? he already possesses that "potential" but the 40 knocks will be hard to come by.

hanley will not win the mvp no matter what. even if he somehow gets to 30/50, which he probably will not, the fact that he plays for the marlins eliminates him.

Before the season began I thought Hanley would be one of the hardest to fall. I was wrong and given that he is only getting better, I have to give credit when it is due.

Hanley's current season blows away anything Reyes ever did. Hanley is younger and he is already a much more disciplined hitter with power which I think he will always maintain over Reyes. Reyes is a very good player in a big market city. He's exciting and more flashy but Hanley is the better player.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RyanK » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:11 pm

Imagine if he was still a Red Sox... Beckett is doing great, and Lowell has been pretty solid as well, but I think they would benifit more from having Hanley.
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby Kingctb27 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:31 pm

Yoda wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:
Yoda wrote:Hanley > Reyes will ever be.

im pretty sure you havent always had that viewpoint ;-7

as for 40/40 potential someday? he already possesses that "potential" but the 40 knocks will be hard to come by.

hanley will not win the mvp no matter what. even if he somehow gets to 30/50, which he probably will not, the fact that he plays for the marlins eliminates him.

Before the season began I thought Hanley would be one of the hardest to fall. I was wrong and given that he is only getting better, I have to give credit when it is due.

Hanley's current season blows away anything Reyes ever did. Hanley is younger and he is already a much more disciplined hitter with power which I think he will always maintain over Reyes. Reyes is a very good player in a big market city. He's exciting and more flashy but Hanley is the better player.

Have you seen Hanley play in the field compared to Reyes? ;-7
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Champion

Postby djxskillz » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:26 pm

Why is Holliday not as good of a candidate as Hanley? Rockies as bad as they are, are actually in the playoff hunt thanks to him.
djxskillz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby George_Foreman » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:31 pm

Kingctb27 wrote:Have you seen Hanley play in the field compared to Reyes? ;-7
Have you seen the offensive numbers Reyes has put up compared to Ramirez? ;-7
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Yoda » Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:08 pm

George_Foreman wrote:
Kingctb27 wrote:Have you seen Hanley play in the field compared to Reyes? ;-7
Have you seen the offensive numbers Reyes has put up compared to Ramirez? ;-7

Yeah put Hanley in the Mutts lineup and no one would ever argue that he is better than Reyes.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby WharfRat » Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:34 pm

djxskillz wrote:Why is Holliday not as good of a candidate as Hanley? Rockies as bad as they are, are actually in the playoff hunt thanks to him.

Hanley is a little more productive offensively, and he's a shortstop playing at sea level, versus a corner outfielder playing on a mountain.
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby cordscords » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:30 pm

Yoda wrote:and he is already a much more disciplined hitter with power which I think he will always maintain over Reyes.

While H-Ram is an incredible hitter, and I think he should considered for the MVP award, him and Reyes arent that far apart. In fact Reyes is the more patient hitter:

Reyes- 10.5 BB%, 11.7 K%
Ramirez- 7.3 BB%, 15.5 K%

And while Ramirez has stepped it up in the power department this season, H-Ram had a 37.2 AB/HR ratio, while Reyes had a AB/HR ratio of 34.0. Not the biggest gap in the world but Reyes still out performed him. Yes Reyes had seen more major league pitching than he did at the time. I dont factor in age considering Reyes is older by 6 months.

The fact that H-Ram is putting up bigger power #'s this season doesnt mean he continues to build on his power stroke. I personally believe he will, but it's not a given. And people forget how young Reyes still his, he still has time to fill out. It wouldnt shock me if he turned into a 20-25 HR per season guy in the near future.

Bottom line is both these guys are fantastic young SS's, and it's going to be fun seeing who winds up with better career #'s.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby Yoda » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:56 pm

cordscords wrote:
Yoda wrote:and he is already a much more disciplined hitter with power which I think he will always maintain over Reyes.

While H-Ram is an incredible hitter, and I think he should considered for the MVP award, him and Reyes arent that far apart. In fact Reyes is the more patient hitter:

Reyes- 10.5 BB%, 11.7 K%

And while Ramirez has stepped it up in the power department this season, H-Ram had a 37.2 AB/HR ratio, while Reyes had a AB/HR ratio of 34.0. Not the biggest gap in the world but Reyes still out performed him. Yes Reyes had seen more major league pitching than he did at the time. I dont factor in age considering Reyes is older by 6 months.

The fact that H-Ram is putting up bigger power #'s this season doesnt mean he continues to build on his power stroke. I personally believe he will, but it's not a given. And people forget how young Reyes still his, he still has time to fill out. It wouldnt shock me if he turned into a 20-25 HR per season guy in the near future.

Bottom line is both these guys are fantastic young SS's, and it's going to be fun seeing who winds up with better career #'s.

Based on MLB experience/service time it is not even close right now. Hanley is blowing away Reyes in pretty much everything.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby pokerplaya » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:58 pm

cordscords wrote:

Reyes- 10.5 BB%, 11.7 K%

Agreed.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers