Hey, Josh Fields is good! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Hey, Josh Fields is good!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Hey, Josh Fields is good!

Postby Inukchuk » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:39 am

I haven't heard much about him, but I've had him in my Util spot for the past month and he has been a very nice addition. 13 HR and 41 RBI's in 226 AB seem like they could be AL ROY numbers if voters shy away from Dice K like they did Hideki a few years back. Anyone else enjoying having the "other" rookie 3B on their team?

Also, he was a very good base stealer in AAA (44SB/9CS last year). Any chance he starts lighting up the basepaths?
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Re: Hey, Josh Fields is good!

Postby stepsinsc » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:54 am

I think you're confusing Fields with someone else. He only has 1 SB this year, and he's never stolen 44 bases at any level. He does have 10SB/year type speed and ability, though. He's likely to be a Crede-like hitter. I.E. .260, 20ish HRs, 70-80ish Rs and RBIs, except with the added steals. In other words, he should be an above-average 3B. Unless your league counts Ks in the batter's favor, in which case he'll be the #1 3B for years to come. :-)
stepsinsc
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:27 pm

Good power... abysmal against righties, though... needs to figure that out & if he does he'll be solid.
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Postby 5 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:36 pm

Fields is pretty good. Those 44 SB are too high...he did run some in the the minors though.
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Inukchuk » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:28 pm

Check out his steals in AAA in 2006: in 766 AB (obviously more than a full season, but still...) he has 44SB with 9CS

http://www.rotowire.com/baseball/player.htm?ID=8266
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

Postby clarkw267 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:59 pm

Inukchuk wrote:Check out his steals in AAA in 2006: in 766 AB (obviously more than a full season, but still...) he has 44SB with 9CS

Sorry dude... the highest SB total he had in a year was 26 in 2006.

Also through August 12 he has had 1 SB in 71 MLB games..

http://thebaseballcube.com/players/F/Josh-Fields-1.shtml
clarkw267
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 10)

Postby stepsinsc » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:25 pm

Inukchuk wrote:Check out his steals in AAA in 2006: in 766 AB (obviously more than a full season, but still...) he has 44SB with 9CS

There's a mistake in those stats. I don't know where the first 2006 stat line came from, but it doesn't belong in his numbers. If it did, he would have played in 202 games in 2006. I don't know exactly how many games they play in AAA, but I don't think it's any more than 162.

The second stat line for his 2006 Charlotte numbers is the correct one.
stepsinsc
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Inukchuk » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:31 am

stepsinsc wrote:

There's a mistake in those stats. I don't know where the first 2006 stat line came from, but it doesn't belong in his numbers. If it did, he would have played in 202 games in 2006. I don't know exactly how many games they play in AAA, but I don't think it's any more than 162.

Ah, so rotowire's been leading me on. Thanks for the explanation. I thought something was up when I got the 766 AB...

Back to the steals. Now, before I get bombarded with the whole "only 1 SB this year" line again, let me clarify. He's obviously shown the ability to run in the past (maybe not 44, but 26 is certainly a nice number, especially considering his power potential); my question is why Ozzie hasn't sent him much this year. Was 06 flukey for him, or is it more a problem of the White Sox not sending him? I'm just trying to figure out the reason for the sizeable drop in his SB...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

Postby StringerBell » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:38 pm

My concern with Fields is that he had a ridiculous amount of Strike Outs in the minors. While in AAA : 136 Strikeouts in 462 ABs. This year he`s got 80 Strikeouts in 232 ABs. Thats a .345 Strikeout average!

According to CBS Sportsline:
"Josh Fields gets Golden Sombrero. Josh Fields had a terrible game at Oakland in Thursday's game, finishing hitless in six at-bats with four strikeouts."
(Updated 08/17/2007).

that being said, Fields does have a lot of upside talent. Its just a question of when he`ll be consistent enough to trust in the line-ip long term.
.....ain't nobody got nothing to say about a 40-degree day. ...
StringerBell
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby stepsinsc » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:32 pm

Inukchuk wrote:
stepsinsc wrote:

Ah, so rotowire's been leading me on. Thanks for the explanation. I thought something was up when I got the 766 AB...

Back to the steals. Now, before I get bombarded with the whole "only 1 SB this year" line again, let me clarify. He's obviously shown the ability to run in the past (maybe not 44, but 26 is certainly a nice number, especially considering his power potential); my question is why Ozzie hasn't sent him much this year. Was 06 flukey for him, or is it more a problem of the White Sox not sending him? I'm just trying to figure out the reason for the sizeable drop in his SB...

Well, first off I didn't mean to bombard you so apologies if that's the case. Fields' ceiling for SB in the majors, IMO, is 20/year, but 15 is probably his realistic probable limit. While he has good speed, he's had hamstring problems this year, and I doubt his SB rate will increase anymore this year as a result. He's running tentatively. Apart from that, I think 26 SB in the minors can reasonably equal 15 SB in the majors without being an anomalous drop.
stepsinsc
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates