The 2007 St. Louis Cardinals- strangest season I've ever see - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The 2007 St. Louis Cardinals- strangest season I've ever see

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

The 2007 St. Louis Cardinals- strangest season I've ever see

Postby sportsaddict » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:14 am

I cannot comprehend how the Cards are now 3.5 games out of first after tonight's big win. Just to think that I was once so frustrated that I could barely get myself to watch the games... now I'm into it again, watching every pitch, because somehow, we are back in the race.

How in the world did this happen? Some notable events/notes highlighting the oddness of this season:

-a player tragically pass away
-the manager got a DUI
-a player went into rehab
-Rolen and Edmonds basically disappeared until recently (that's why this streak got started- those two), we -haven't been over .500 since early April
-Tony's lost his mind and is batting the pitcher 8th, and he won't play Duncan aganist lefties
-After playing ourselves back into the race with 3 straight over the Brew Crew, the Cards proceed to go 1-5 vs. the Pirates and Nationals, then somehow rebound to win 7 of last 9 games
-Called up a converted pitcher who lost everything in 2000 to play the outfield, and he proceeds to hit 3 homers in 3 games
-We've used about 10 different starting pitchers
-Anthony Reyes has 11 losses yet he gets no run support (should be about 5-7 or so, not good but he's not this bad)
-Kip Wells is actually good now after being absolutely terrible before
- Juan Encarnacion and Tony La Russa are feuding because TLR won't play him and Juan is making snide remarks in the Post Dispatch about him
-Edmonds and La Russa got into a heated argument about playing time a week or so ago (don't know if anyone knows this)
-Chris Carpenter pitched 1 game and then was lost for the season (and most of next season)
-Mark Mulder never took the mound
-The most reliable SP this season is last season's closer in Adam Wainwright
-Last in the NL in starters ERA and in the cellar in most of the offensive categories

And through all of this... the Cardinals are 3.5 games out of first in the NL Central (a joke of a division). We all know what happened last year... get in to the playoffs and you never know... What a weird season.
"Oh, that Lankford and McGee, the trio of 'em. They're a one-man wrecking crew."

-Mike Shannon
sportsaddict
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: The 2007 St. Louis Cardinals- strangest season I've ever see

Postby Scooter1027 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:00 am

Yeah, watching these last two games have clearly been frustrating from my perspective, obviously the Cardinals have crawled back into this thing. I still believe them to be the least talented of the top 3 teams, but they have the most experiece in these situations and the best in-game manager (despite hitting the pitcher 8th, although that did burn us with Kip Wells hitting yesterday). The Cards and Brewers are actually in somewhat similar situations in my view. Both are missing their ace and as such have lackluster starting staffs. As such, they need a good amount of offensive support. For awhile, they were only getting it from Pujols and Duncan. When guys like Rolen and Edmonds are hitting (as they are now), the lineup is much more balanced and produces. The Brewers were much more successful when guys like Hardy, Hart, and Hall were hitting. Now they're not, and it's been all Fielder and Braun lately. That's just not enough offense to compensate for an underacheving starting staff.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby SirDunkALot » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:23 am

It's amazing.

I honestly thought StL sucks but that's why you play the games.

No offense Cardinals fans. I, like most people, thought that this team was dead in the water. If somehow Edmonds and Rolen keep this up, could they actually STEAL the NL Central crown? That would be amazing.
SirDunkALot
College Coach
College Coach

Re:

Postby Snakes Gould » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:31 am

SirDunkALot wrote:It's amazing.

No offense Cardinals fans. I, like most people, thought that this team was dead in the water. If somehow Edmonds and Rolen keep this up, could they actually STEAL the NL Central crown? That would be amazing.

they still do suck. no way pineiro and kip pitch like this down the stretch.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Bwanna » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:37 am

No offense taken. I thought they were dead in the water as well, and was getting ready to put small paper bags over the 2006 player bobbleheads in my office at work.

Never underestimate the Big Mo. And the Big Mo is on the move in St Louis Mo.
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st], '13, [1st/2nd], '14, [1st/1st]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 247)

Re: Re:

Postby SirDunkALot » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:41 am

Snakes Gould wrote:

That would be true but JEFF WEAVER pitched good in the WS for this very same Cardinals team. Same with Jeff Suppan. Maybe the Cardinals just have "it".

It'd be one helluva story though if they get back.. I could only hope then that Rick Ankiel avenges himself on the big stage. :).
SirDunkALot
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Pokeyouindaeye » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:44 am

SirDunkALot wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:

That would be true but JEFF WEAVER pitched good in the WS for this very same Cardinals team. Same with Jeff Suppan. Maybe the Cardinals just have "it".

It'd be one helluva story though if they get back.. I could only hope then that Rick Ankiel avenges himself on the big stage. :).

Heh, the site of him at bat scares the bejeezus out of the pitcher causing him to throw wild.

Because he knows Albert Pujols is next. (that is if Ankiel is still batting 2nd)
Yes, I was, uh... I was thinking about ordering the tape, the videotape... about the college girls and the... the wild... the wildness. They're going wild or something? Somebody told me... about going wild.
-Larry David
Pokeyouindaeye
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)

Postby sportsaddict » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:25 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:

Yeah, we are pretty bad. But Edmonds and Rolen keep hitting, pitching keeps it up, you never know.
"Oh, that Lankford and McGee, the trio of 'em. They're a one-man wrecking crew."

-Mike Shannon
sportsaddict
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:27 pm

I just don't see how the Cardinals will actually win the division though. That starting rotation is terrible, much worse than the cubs or brewers (even without sheets). The offense is only OK. The only great hitter they have is Pujols. Rolen, Edmonds, and Duncan are all good hitters. However, the 2B/SS/C/ are all gaping pathetic holes, making the lineup and rotation both much worse than the Cubs or Brewers. The one saving grace is the back end of that bullpen. Izzy/Springer/Franklin is a really good 7/8/9 combo (better, I believe, than the Brewers or Cubs back ends).

I still don't see how they beat out the Brewers, or the Cubs...
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby jealousblues » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:39 pm

"-Rolen and Edmonds basically disappeared until recently (that's why this streak got started- those two), we -haven't been over .500 since early April"

I agree with this whole thread but I also give a lot of credit to the starting pitching. I mean it seems like 2 runs is the maximum they have given up in a long time. I know thats not true but they have been pretty not cruddy anymore for a while now

"-Edmonds and La Russa got into a heated argument about playing time a week or so ago (don't know if anyone knows this)"

do you visit bernies pressbox?

also Rolen and TLR apprearently hate eachother still (though they havent talked about it in a while)

and eck seems like he hardly ever plays

and we cant over look Ludwick and Ryan either.

I would take Ryan/miles over Eck/kennedy (this year) anyday. Miles should just completely suck but he is just one of those guys who seem to come up with hits
JH32
jealousblues
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers