Mike Pelfrey - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Mike Pelfrey

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Mike Pelfrey

Postby MaudDib » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:27 pm

I know he got knocked around earlier this year but is he still a quality prospect? He is available in my 10 team Dynasty league and was thinking of picking him up. I have a roster spot available. Do you think he will get his stuff together and be apart of the Mets rotation next year?
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Mike Pelfrey

Postby jwhatti » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:35 pm

Thanks for the help.

Unfortunatly I do not know too much about Pelfrey to give you any reliable help here. Sorry
jwhatti
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Cards0540 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:36 am

Well it all depends on who else is available in your league, but Pelfrey does have a good chance of starting next season in the Mets rotation. If you look at their 5 starters now; El Duque, Oliver Perez, John Maine, Tom Glavine, Brian Lawrence and Pedro once he returns. But only Maine and Glavine are solid consitent guys IMO. Also Pelfrey got rushed to the bigs once he signed and didnt spend much time in the minors, that being said i still see him as the next Kris Benson. A good number 3 or 4 but not a front end of the rotation guy.
Cards0540
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby MaudDib » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:50 pm

Thanks. That is what I was looking for. From what I have read he has some good stuff but he hasn't produced in the majors. I was looking to stash him away while his stock is down. I will probably hang on to him unless something more attractive comes. It is always hard to find info on prospect players that come into the bigs and then aren't immediatly productive. Before the season Pelfrey was considered one of the top pitching prospects and now no one knows anything about him.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby kimchi_chigae » Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:10 am

MaudDib wrote:Before the season Pelfrey was considered one of the top pitching prospects and now no one knows anything about him.

That's because he is gonna need more than just an awesome Fastball to get people out at the Major League level. Unless he develops a good breaking pitch, I think he will continue to struggle.

Now, he still have value in a dynasty league. If you should pick him up or not, then it would depend on your roster and if there are more attractive options in the WW. Do you have a minor league system in the league?
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 200)

Postby MaudDib » Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:59 am

Yes we have a minor league roster as well as prospect keepers. But because of our rules, Pelfrey is only able to be kept on our regular major league roster. Their isn't much on the WW. Boof Bonser, Bronson Arroyo and Chad Gaudin are the best SP and Orlando Hudson and Frank Thomas are the best hitters. S really their isn't much. I am only looking at Pelfrey because he was such a prospect to start the season and is still young and unproven.

C - Brian McCann
1st - Albert Pujols, Casey Kotchman
2nd - Howie Kendrick
3rd - Alex Gordon
SS - Troy Tulowitzki, Jhonny Perlata
OF - Grady Sizemore, Billy Butler, Jermaine Dye, Nick Markikis, Corey Hart, Andruw Jones, Coco Crisp, Delmon Young

SP - Josh Becket, Felix Hernandez, Fausto Carmona, Dice-K, Homer Bailey, Daniel Cabrera, Anthony Reyes, Adam Wainwright, Ervin Santana, Kasson Gabbord, Scott Olsen, Mike Pelfrey

RP - Huston Street, BJ Ryan, Matt Capps

Minor/Prospect Keeper - Brandon Wood, Luke Hochevar, Jay Bruce plus other players that aren't ready for the majors for at least another year.

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby kimchi_chigae » Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:39 am

Because you have a minor league roster, most top prospects won't be available, therefore I think it's worth keeping Pelfrey on your roster. Heck, you have Ervin Santana and Scott Olsen in there, might as well keep Pelfrey. :-D
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 200)

Postby GabbyJay » Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:23 pm

In a league that deep Pelfrey is a good addition. At the very least he will win plenty with the Mets.
GabbyJay
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Minor League & College Baseball