Poll question is Bonds on steroids?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Poll question is Bonds on steroids??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Do you think Barry Bonds numbers are steroid inflated?

yes
80%
no
20%

Total votes : 54

Postby lesgrant » Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:07 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:I don want to get all Clinton here but it depends on what is considered a steroid. Many legal sustances (supplements and "designer steriods") can have the same effects as illegal steriods.

Relative to Bonds, the grand jury is talking about illegal substances. There are many apologists in the media, like Peter Gammons, who have tried to classify steroids like Andro as nutritional supplements, thus confusing the general public.

It’s all a smoke screen to trivialize the impact of these substances and to further legitimize the HR records of Big Mac and Bonzo.

But we are not talking about eating raw eggs, taking protein supplements, creatine and multi-vitamins. At least I’m not. I’m talking about the stuff that will dramatically increase your muscle mass that you can’t get at your local GNC. The stuff your trainer has to go to Mexico to get. The stuff that, if everyone knew you were taking, would brand you as a cheater. The stuff that makes your testicles shrink up to the size of marbles. The stuff that makes a person prone to heart attacks and ‘roid rage. The stuff, if ingested over a long period of time, that will kill you. The stuff you’d never ever want your kids taking.

I think you know exactly what’s at stake here Mr. Clinton.
lesgrant
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:19 pm

lesgrant wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:I don want to get all Clinton here but it depends on what is considered a steroid. Many legal sustances (supplements and "designer steriods") can have the same effects as illegal steriods.

Relative to Bonds, the grand jury is talking about illegal substances. There are many apologists in the media, like Peter Gammons, who have tried to classify steroids like Andro as nutritional supplements, thus confusing the general public.

It’s all a smoke screen to trivialize the impact of these substances and to further legitimize the HR records of Big Mac and Bonzo.

But we are not talking about eating raw eggs, taking protein supplements, creatine and multi-vitamins. At least I’m not. I’m talking about the stuff that will dramatically increase your muscle mass that you can’t get at your local GNC. The stuff your trainer has to go to Mexico to get. The stuff that, if everyone knew you were taking, would brand you as a cheater. The stuff that makes your testicles shrink up to the size of marbles. The stuff that makes a person prone to heart attacks and ‘roid rage. The stuff, if ingested over a long period of time, that will kill you. The stuff you’d never ever want your kids taking.

Wonder where you classify Andro?
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Postby lesgrant » Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:21 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
lesgrant wrote:

Andro is classified by the medical community as an anabolic steroid.
lesgrant
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:29 pm

lesgrant wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:
lesgrant wrote:

Andro is classified by the medical community as an anabolic steroid.
Exactly and Andro is legal.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby lesgrant » Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:42 pm

I’m afraid I don’t get your point. Andro is not a supplement nor is it a designer steroid. It is a ‘roid that can be obtained legally which was used incorrectly. I only brought it up as a point of reference to show that there are a lot of people in the baseball establishment that try to downplay its danger.

Bonzo’s trainer was indicted for distributing illegal substances. And it’s not like Big Mac scored any points by admitting he was on the stuff, legal or not. He was never able to play a complete season after using that stuff.

Either way people that use that crap are scum.
lesgrant
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:57 pm

My point is that the legal definition of a steriod isn't the same as the medical definition of a steriod.

I think everyone can agree on this.
lesgrant wrote:Either way people that use that crap are scum.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby The Zot » Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:58 pm

This Just in From Major League Baseball....

From now on, all Fantasy baseball Forums can no longer use the name Barry Bonds. All references to Barry Bonds must use the term "OUTFIELDER-SF". failure to utilize this term could result in legal proceedings brought against the posting party. The name Barry bonds is now trademarked, and cannot be used without specific permission from MLB and the San Francisco Giants.

In addition, any references to Steroids, 'roids, juice, baseball candy, and any terms relating thereof in association with Barry Bonds are also prohibited.

Anyone wishing to use the name Barry Bonds should send $1 to The Zot....cash only please.

Back to you Jane.
Piss Poor planning on your part does not constitue an emergency on my part
The Zot
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby ironman » Thu Feb 12, 2004 6:32 pm

All I know is that when Bonds retires, the small town of Adair, Iowa has a job for him. ;-D

Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 97)

Postby ironman » Thu Feb 12, 2004 8:15 pm

Nothing? Nothing at all? I was hoping to get some response from that one. If the Cafe programmers are reading can we just go ahead and switch my title from "Minor League Mentor" to "Thread Killer"? I seem to be best at that. ;-)
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 97)

Postby SoxFanPJ » Fri Feb 13, 2004 12:11 am

Of course we don't have proof either way, but if I was a betting man I wouldn't nessecarily say its steroids.

My guess would by HGH, human growth hormone, thats what causes the increase in head size and facial growth.
SoxFanPJ
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers