Jose Offerman hits two players with a bat - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jose Offerman hits two players with a bat

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Jose Offerman hits two players with a bat

Postby Old_Style » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:10 pm

Bloody Sox wrote:
mrkrab2003 wrote:Did that thug Delmon Young get any type of legal action against him when he threw the bat at the ump?

Not to defend "that thug Delmon Young", but flipping a bat in the direction of an ump is quite different than swinging a bat at someone's head.

The reason Delmon didn't have any legal action brought against him is because the umpire didn't press charges against him.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Deuce » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:25 pm

It's about time someone has done something about pitchers throwing at you for hitting a homerun. This is also whY I am opposed to the DH. The pitcher can throw with no recourse to himself. If a few more guys retaliated, we'd see more balls over the plate. Especially in the NL. Too bad he hit them, but, I'd like to see more guys charge the mound. Just keep the hits to a minimum. I don't condone violence, but I do condone an eye for an eye. Pitchers have been getting away with assualt for far too long.

I'll take you replies offline. ;-7
The glass is neither half full nor half empty... It is simply a glass
Deuce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby nyrblue2 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:46 pm

It seems like the part about hitting the catcher in the head sounds worse than it was. Looks like he didn't hit him in the head on purpose, but on the backswing when he was going after the pitcher. I mean, who knows what would have happened if he got a free, full swing on the pitcher, but it definitely could have been scary.

Kinda reminds me of a situation in the NHL this past season, where Chris Simon of the New York Islanders swing his stick and intentionally hit Ryan Hollweg of the New York Rangers in the chin/throat after a clean, legal hit. I find it interesting though, that Offerman got arrested, but Simon just got kicked out of the game and suspended for 25 more...
nyrblue2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby raygunpunx » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:41 pm

nyrblue2 wrote:It seems like the part about hitting the catcher in the head sounds worse than it was. Looks like he didn't hit him in the head on purpose, but on the backswing when he was going after the pitcher. I mean, who knows what would have happened if he got a free, full swing on the pitcher, but it definitely could have been scary.

Kinda reminds me of a situation in the NHL this past season, where Chris Simon of the New York Islanders swing his stick and intentionally hit Ryan Hollweg of the New York Rangers in the chin/throat after a clean, legal hit. I find it interesting though, that Offerman got arrested, but Simon just got kicked out of the game and suspended for 25 more...

While I am not excusing what Simon did, Hollweg is a goon and even though no penalty was called that was far from a legal hit. He cross checked him from behind into the boards
raygunpunx
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:02 am

Deuce wrote:It's about time someone has done something about pitchers throwing at you for hitting a homerun. This is also whY I am opposed to the DH. The pitcher can throw with no recourse to himself. If a few more guys retaliated, we'd see more balls over the plate. Especially in the NL. Too bad he hit them, but, I'd like to see more guys charge the mound. Just keep the hits to a minimum. I don't condone violence, but I do condone an eye for an eye. Pitchers have been getting away with assualt for far too long.

I'll take you replies offline. ;-7

There might be an ounce of validity to your statement if it was proven that he was throwing at him. I don't see that here. He took him deep in his last AB. Nothing wrong with throwing inside either to move him off the plate, establish that part of the plate, plunk him, or all of the above. He also hit him in the thigh. Not like throwing at his head. Offerman was 100% in the wrong here. No defense at all.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby colt4523 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:48 am

Offerman's pitcher should drill a player from the other team....problem solved. That is how this situation should have been handled.
90% of my posts are from complaining about my team :)
colt4523
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 83)

Postby Morel Orel » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:43 am

BTW - I read that the catcher got a mild concussion and the pitcher broke a finger in his non-throwing hand.

Don't drop the soap Jose...
My sweet sigs got the boot...
Morel Orel
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby norton17 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:04 pm

I honestly don't see how it doesn't happen more often.

A pitcher wielding a baseball decides hurling it at your head at 95 MPH is a good idea, but its a problem if you use a weapon against him?

Maybe swinging at the pitcher is a good idea, but I can see hurling the bat at him
norton17
College Coach
College Coach

Postby cordscords » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:18 pm

Offerman said he never hit anybody with the bat.

Then how do you explain the concussion and broken fingers?
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 20)

Postby tinfoilxtouch » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:08 am

Wow. I hope he gets jail time and a lifetime ban from both minor league and major league ball.

Pitchers and hitters have been beaning/charging for a century. You get hit in the flipping leg and decide your the first beaned hitter in history with just cause to take the bat with you when you charge? If he gets THIS violent over something like that, I'd hate to be his in the shoes of his wife or kids.
tinfoilxtouch
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers