russell martin tired? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

russell martin tired?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

russell martin tired?

Postby jimmyvegas » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:41 pm

i know he'll be a force for years to come, but he seems to have hit his offensive plateau for this year, which is to be expected of a young catcher. thoughts?
jimmyvegas
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: russell martin tired?

Postby Grounded Polo » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:51 pm

He never got rested at all throughout the year and now it's the stretch run and he's naturally worn out from overuse. If you can still trade, I'd consider dealing Martin for Posada/A position you need. Posada is just as productive for less value and doesn't get overused. Of course, if this is a keeper, don't deal him.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:09 am

I'd reckon so. This is his first full season in the Majors and Mike Lieberthal rarely starts in his place for one of the weekend games. Martin has become that essential to the Dodger offense it seems, but the offensive woes are also derived from the fact that the team as a whole has slumped. Pierre and Furcal have struggled to get on base as frequently as desired, Kent has been in and out with nagging injuries, Nomar's pop is down considerably, and it's still a learning experience for Ethier, Kemp, and Loney. It doesn't help matters when he takes the opportunity to steal bases and opposing teams are frequently testing his arm knowing that he's prone to making errant throws to 2B.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 674)

Postby RynMan » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:12 am

Yeah, I think everyone was getting a little excited about him when he was red hot. Realistically, that position is going to take a toll eventually. It's tough to steal bases at the clip he was heading for. My expectations for next season would be .280-.295, 20-25HR, 15 steals.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Danger » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:11 am

Yah the position takes a real toll on any player. He's got a few nagging injuries, nothing major but it's part of the factor of wear and tear by being a catcher.
Danger
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jimmyvegas » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:56 am

hey, maybe not so tired....
jimmyvegas
College Coach
College Coach

Postby willy-t » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:26 am

I would be careful investing in martin because of his steals next year. If I had to pick a player who had stolen plenty this year, and who wont get many next year, it might be martin. The position is so tough on the knees and now that he's established himself as the guy there, I dont think he'll top 10 SBs next year.
willy-t
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby superslugger616 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:26 pm

willy-t wrote:I would be careful investing in martin because of his steals next year. If I had to pick a player who had stolen plenty this year, and who wont get many next year, it might be martin. The position is so tough on the knees and now that he's established himself as the guy there, I dont think he'll top 10 SBs next year.

idk about that...he'll be 25 to start the year and has only one full season under his belt. I think the SB's should last for a few more years
superslugger616
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers