Worth the time.......or let them sit? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Worth the time.......or let them sit?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Worth the time.......or let them sit?

Postby mktgteach » Mon May 13, 2002 5:24 pm

Since I study the waiver wire like Bill Gates does the Dow Jones, I have noticed some recent activity over the past week. I have my own opinions of these guys, but........this board is all about opinions. So. I would like to hear yours.

What do you think of........

1. Daryle Ward
2. Bob Wickman
3. Daryl Kile
4. Juan Uribe
5. Edgar Martinez
6. Jarrod Washburn

Thanks!

I'm out! ;-D
Go Hokies!
mktgteach
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby zpalm » Mon May 13, 2002 5:41 pm

Wickman is absolutely worth the time he is a starting closer on a decent team he shouldn't be on waivers.

Uribe is also a solid SS, he shouldn't be on waivers unless you have a real small league he will score lots of runs and plays in colorado.

D. Ward i don't like he could lose time with the addition of prospect J. Lane (he pounded the ball in the minors).

J. Washburn is a solid starter

Of this list the only guy i wouldn't want would be Ward the rest are decent and wickman is a grab ASAP.
zpalm
College Coach
College Coach

z

Postby cwebb » Mon May 13, 2002 6:33 pm

The z-man is right, get Uribe and Wickman!

Washburn and Kyle are solid and could be picked up if you manage to pull a 2 for 1 trade!

Wickman is a definite no-no at the wire, whoever dropped him had better have a good explanation!
cwebb
Bouncer
Bouncer

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Arlo » Mon May 13, 2002 7:07 pm

Two cents in a nutshell:

Ward: I like his potential, but I'm not sure the Astros do (see zpalm's point). If he's starting every day, he makes a solid of, everyday in deep leagues and possibly playing only at home in shallow ones.

Wickman: Stud. Ok, he's not Mariano, but Wickman will help whatever team he's on (with the exception of those h2h leagues that give virtually no value to closers).

Kile: I have to admit that his drop in k's is starting to worry me. He should bounce back, but I'd lower my expectations a bit.

Uribe: Stud. Could be the best NL ss for years to come.

Martinez: At this point, you can't assume he'll return at full strength for some time. When he's on top of his game, his bat can carry you, but health and age concerns, as well as that annoying dh-only eligibility would make me cautious.

Washburn: Decent, but overvalued by many. I don't see him joining the ranks of the elite sp's, but he should continue to post solid numbers.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mktgteach » Mon May 13, 2002 7:37 pm

Ok, I agree with Wickman. Problem is who would I drop to acquire Wickman?

Roster is

Piazza
Sexson
Alomar
Hinske
Batista
Dunn
Sheffield
Klesko
Kearns
Gonzalez (DL)
Burks
Nevin

Pitchers

Mussina
Livan Hernandez
Tomko
Odalis Perez
Percival
Fogg
Vazquez
Carlos Hernandez
Jorge Julio
Mark Prior (Yes, I have him! Supposed to come up later this week)

So, whatcha think?

I'm out! ;-D
Go Hokies!
mktgteach
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mktgteach » Mon May 13, 2002 7:38 pm

I need to clarify that this league that I just listed for Wickman is the league that Arlo helped me with last week, NOT the team that I just posted for some advice. Thanks!

I'm out! ;-D
Go Hokies!
mktgteach
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Arlo » Mon May 13, 2002 8:47 pm

Yow! Tough to drop anyone from that roster! I'd drop Burks or Kearns. My call would be Burks, ignoring the playing time issues surrounding Kearns, but drop Kearns if you want to play safe.

Others might suggest Julio - wouldn't be my choice, but I could understand arguments pointing to him.

Very tough. Any other opinions?
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Guest » Mon May 13, 2002 9:44 pm

I would consider possibly dropping Livan Hernandez. L's k's and wins are dropping faster than something that drops really fast (I have him in one of my leagues and if I thought I could get something for him I would) and you might benefit from having both closers (if you kept Julio).

One reason to go with Arlo and drop Burks is that there are more guys like him in the talent pool than there are guys like Wickman.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

novel approach

Postby timkell » Mon May 13, 2002 10:23 pm

Here's an approach that I use pretty often:
I know there's a guy on the wire that I want. So far no one's made a move, so I think I can risk waiting a day or two. What do I do? Pull an old two for one trade! Maybe package Kearns and a pitcher, touting Kearns' huge potential, for an upgraded outfielder. Or even do Klesko and a pitcher for a possible stud outfielder. Once the trade is done, you grab your man!

I'd say Hinske is your weakest link in the infield, so maybe you could combine him and a pitcher in a trade as well.

No sense waiving someone that you feel should be on someone's roster.

Pull this off, and you've upgraded two positions instead of one! ;-)
timkell
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mktgteach » Mon May 13, 2002 10:28 pm

You and I think that EXACT same way. I hardly ever do even trades. I use that strategy quite often. Problem with Wickman is that he was just dropped. So he is on waivers for 2 days. My dilemna is that I am #1 on the waiver list. Is Wickman worth using my #1 waiver status? Or do I hold tight and use that status for a potential bigger star being dropped? If I hold tight and wait, then I could possibly do that strategy. ;-D
Go Hokies!
mktgteach
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers