Royals Fans... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Royals Fans...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Royals Fans...

Postby Slow Pitch » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:22 pm

So for those of you who watch the club day in & day out, what is your take on Gordon & Butler as players?

Who are you more impressed with & who do you think has the brighter future?

Despite Gordon's under performing year, everyone seems to be generally high on him. Butler has done pretty well #'s wise.

Interested to hear some opinions on the two.
Slow Pitch
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Royals Fans...

Postby MaudDib » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:31 pm

That is tough. I probably like Gordon better. He is a five tool guy and has shown some flashes of what is to come. Butler though is a pure hitter. He is awful to watch run the base paths but since he will probably get to jog a lot because of his power it shouldn't be that big of a deal. I am a supporter of Gordon and see him as a David Wright type player.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 466)

Postby Slow Pitch » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:22 am

There has to be more than 1 Roylas fan........doesnt there??
8-o
Slow Pitch
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Cards07Champs » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:03 am

Cardinals fan, but I'm a KC native so I watch them quite a bit.

Butler's closest comparable I can come up with is Carlos Lee, but somehow even less athletic. I think he has legit 30 HR pop and .925 or so OPS skills.

Gordon...man I just cannot figure this kid out. I have no idea at all why he isn't hitting. His swing stays in the hitting zone for a long time, it's compact, it's powerful...it's just freakin' beautiful. Unfortunately, he seems to have no approach at the plate at all. He hasn't taken a plan to the plate with him all season. I think his hitting coach has done him a huge disservice by not instructing him on what it takes to be a ML hitter. He just gives ABs away because he goes up there looking for a mistake he can crush.

I think he'll be a Wright-type player as well, but his learning curve is probably 2 seasons behind where I hoped he'd be. If you're in a deep keeper league, he may be worth a look for 2009 (I keep 15, so he'll be one of mine), but I still don't expect anything out of him in 2008 either. He just hasn't progressed at all, outside of a hot June that really only made up for some very tough luck in the early part of the season.

He's earned that sparkling .720 OPS this season. The tools are there, but he's just not come that far this year.
Cards07Champs
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Surfs up » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:44 am

If things continue the way there are going Butler will be DH only next year. Our league requires at least 20 games at a position.He has more games in the outfield than first base but not looking like he will make either. Gordon qualifies at both first and third now.Gordon in my opinion has the most value because he also steals bases.KC is going to tough in a year or two.
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 273)

Postby J35J » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:08 am

Butler is a better hitter but with Gordon adding 15 to 20 sb in a good year and the fact he has a position equals things out a bit.

I can see Butler being a mini MCab/Manny as his ceiling... .320avg/30hr/120rbi type

I can see Gordon being a mini Wright as his ceiling (mini because I don't think he will hit for quite as high of an avg and won't steal quite as many bases)... .290avg/30hr/110rbi/15sb type

With that said, Butler is still young and it could still be a couple years before he reaches his power potential so don't grow impatient. I'm not sure who I would expect to end up being the better player, anything can happen. Gordon might have the best potential fantasy wise because of the speed and position but Butler is more likely to hit more consistantly throughout his career, IMO. Now if we can add Moose to that mix and I'll be even more happy!
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 621)

Postby Slow Pitch » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:02 am

Gordon has dissappointed this season. He was way over hyped coming in, but man I didnt see .240 coming.

He was projected to be a 320 type hitter in his prime, is that still a realistic possibility? He does seem to have all the tools & I fully agree with the Cards07 said about not having a clue or approach at the plate. I just hate to give one of these guys up next season in my keeper cause I have them both at very late rounds, but I have to give one of them up. :~(
Slow Pitch
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers