Only about 27 hours to go - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Tampa Bay Rays

Only about 27 hours to go

Moderators: hayseed, Baseball Moderators

Only about 27 hours to go

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:48 pm

before the deadline. We still have several guys unsigned from the 07 MLB Amateur draft. Most notably, first overall pick David Price(who is rumored to be signed, just not announced just yet), 4th round pick LHP Danny Newman, and CF DJ Jones. It will be intersting to see if we go over slot tomorrow on anybody besides Price.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Only about 27 hours to go

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:37 pm

Jim Callis with ESPN just said that it looked like Newmann will sign as both sides are very close to an agreement. ;-D ;-D
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:03 pm

Price has signed

8.25 Mill could be over 11 if he stays on the major league roster the whole time/

Thank god, lets go Rays ;-D
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:44 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:Price has signed

8.25 Mill could be over 11 if he stays on the major league roster the whole time/

I haven't had time to check with all of my sources, but one thing I have read is that the deal can go up 11.25 million if he remains in the majors the entire length of the contract. Does that really mean he is in the majors next month? :-o I surely hope not, but like I said, this is just preliminary stuff, I haven't quite gotten to the meat and potatoes of the contract just yet.
raiders_umpire

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:27 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:Price has signed

I haven't had time to check with all of my sources, but one thing I have read is that the deal can go up 11.25 million if he remains in the majors the entire length of the contract. Does that really mean he is in the majors next month? :-o I surely hope not, but like I said, this is just preliminary stuff, I haven't quite gotten to the meat and potatoes of the contract just yet.

Majors just means be on the 40 man roster the entire time, which they will make room for him now by either putting riggans on the 60 day DL or cuttign Corky
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:37 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:
Majors just means be on the 40 man roster the entire time, which they will make room for him now by either putting riggans on the 60 day DL or cuttign Corky

Ok, after a little more research and a few phone calls, it is on the 40 man roster, which he definitely will be. Heck Delmon was on our 40 man roster the entire time he was in the minors. Should be a pretty easily reached few million for Mr. Price. As far as the spot, it looks like Riggans will be put on the 60 day DL to make room for Price.

Now since we are spending a bit of money, how about signing Newmann and Jones, and then get ready to get a big time bat in the draft next year.(Smoak, Wietters, or even Alvarez) ;-D
raiders_umpire

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:58 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:

Ok, after a little more research and a few phone calls, it is on the 40 man roster, which he definitely will be. Heck Delmon was on our 40 man roster the entire time he was in the minors. Should be a pretty easily reached few million for Mr. Price. As far as the spot, it looks like Riggans will be put on the 60 day DL to make room for Price.

Now since we are spending a bit of money, how about signing Newmann and Jones, and then get ready to get a big time bat in the draft next year.(Smoak, Wietters, or even Alvarez) ;-D

They have shown they will pay for the talent. That is one of the biggest contracts ever. For those fans that give these owners grief abou spending money, they should look at how much over slot they paid to make sure they got this guy. They are willing to pay for talent, just not overy pay for crap, i like it. ;-D
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:23 pm

It looks like Newmann and Jones will both sign before the midnight deadline as well. I know it is still early, but this draft looks to be a team changer for the Devil Rays. We got the hopeful #2 SP that Price can become, along with several other pitchers that could very well be useful in a few years along with a few bats(Jones, Biell, and Sexton) that will definitely improve our depth in our farm system.
raiders_umpire

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:16 pm

Well it looks like Price won't throw a pitch this season. He is supposed to report to Hudson Valley, but he won't pitch. He will work out and go through bullpen sessions and get accustomed to baseball life.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to Tampa Bay Rays