Quiet Monsters... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Quiet Monsters...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Quiet Monsters...

Postby markj11 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:01 am

Jeff Kent is putting up great 2B numbers.
.286AVG 16HR 64RBI 1SB 61R .851OPS
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Rounders » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:16 am

joshyboy72 wrote:Ha, still feel that way less than a week later, fellas? Not to mention Abreu in the top 30 in Y! game. And the number 2 ranked hitter over the last month, batting .352 over that time. Aside from the AVG, he is outproducing his numbers from last year and you know his average will be up to par by the end of the season. Nothing special..... !+)

He was taken in the top 3 rounds, so people expected him to be ranked in the top 30 overall. Just because a guy is playing to the expectations that people set for him going into the year doesn't mean he's putting up special numbers. That's like saying ARod is a quiet monster because he was taken #2 and is putting up #1 pick numbers.
Rounders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby joshyboy72 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:37 am

Rounders wrote:
joshyboy72 wrote:Ha, still feel that way less than a week later, fellas? Not to mention Abreu in the top 30 in Y! game. And the number 2 ranked hitter over the last month, batting .352 over that time. Aside from the AVG, he is outproducing his numbers from last year and you know his average will be up to par by the end of the season. Nothing special..... !+)

He was taken in the top 3 rounds, so people expected him to be ranked in the top 30 overall. Just because a guy is playing to the expectations that people set for him going into the year doesn't mean he's putting up special numbers. That's like saying ARod is a quiet monster because he was taken #2 and is putting up #1 pick numbers.

His numbers are special in the sense that they've all come in about the past 3 months. He was left for dead by the end of June and has since fallen completely under the radar and put up really great numbers.

I'm not sure what we're really arguing about anymore except the fact that Abreu has been a stud this season and I guess it's hard for those who haven't owned him to see. Because those who don't own him see he was a 3rd round pick and is putting up about 3rd round pick numbers. It's just really special that he's done it all quietly in only a couple months and been such a huge freaking fantasy force lately.
big ups to smoovethug on the sig
joshyboy72
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby TB13 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:51 pm

Three Rockies for me: Hawpe, Tulo & Matsui, especially the latter. Tulo is showing things I had no idea he could do. He could very well be a 25 HR guy at SS. If he can continue to bat in front of Holliday, his total numbers at year-end are going to surprise a lot of people.
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:38 pm

i don't own him in any teams but i think corey patterson is having quite a post all star season.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Melo255 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:55 pm

TB13 wrote:Three Rockies for me: Hawpe, Tulo & Matsui, especially the latter. Tulo is showing things I had no idea he could do. He could very well be a 25 HR guy at SS. If he can continue to bat in front of Holliday, his total numbers at year-end are going to surprise a lot of people.

Agreed. With all the attention on shortstops being given to the big three I think most people aren't aware of how good Tulowitzki has been so far. In his rookie season this year, after a 25 game cup of coffee last year, he has put up .291 16hr 66 rbi 69 runs and 6 steals and has been getting better and better as the season goes on. He is the 8th ranked shortstop for the season in the Yahoo game. He turns 23 in a couple of months and at 6'3 205 in Colorado has a lot of room to grow.

Matsui has been great especially as a platoon player, not just in Coors but anywhere against righties, and in 255 at bats vs righties has a 290 average, 58 runs, 2 home runs, 23 rbis and 25 steals. Those are great numbers for someone you picked off the wire for free.
Melo255
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby J35J » Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:55 pm

BitterDodgerFan wrote:i don't own him in any teams but i think corey patterson is having quite a post all star season.

Actually it was just July. His August has been just as bad as his pre all star months....aside from the SBs anyway. If he could ever put it all together... :-°
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 358)

Postby AdvRider » Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:14 pm

Tim Hudson .... ;-D

Who figured Huddy to be a 15-game winner by August 22? Especially after his off year last season. 20 Ws is within reach if he ends well (and Teixera helps there). His Ks aren't spectacular but the rest of the digits are way solid, strong enough to put him on the outer edge of the NL Cy Young conversation.

178.2 IP 15-5 110K 3.07 1.17 .251 BAA
Last edited by AdvRider on Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AdvRider
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)

Postby rainman23 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:30 pm

joshyboy72 wrote:His numbers are special in the sense that they've all come in about the past 3 months. He was left for dead by the end of June and has since fallen completely under the radar and put up really great numbers.

I'm not sure what we're really arguing about anymore except the fact that Abreu has been a stud this season and I guess it's hard for those who haven't owned him to see. Because those who don't own him see he was a 3rd round pick and is putting up about 3rd round pick numbers. It's just really special that he's done it all quietly in only a couple months and been such a huge freaking fantasy force lately.

I doubt there are many Abreu owners who would say he's been a stud this season. Most of us are sighing in relief that we finally got some serious payback from a top draft choice. It might be correct to say he's compiled decent 5-cat numbers quietly, because a few weeks ago they were anything but decent. I'll never refer to a season as studly where the guy had me ripping my hair out for 10 weeks.

To be fair, though -- Abreu's numbers may be more valuable compiling them the way he did. The first couple months he rode my bench, while I plugged someone in who had a chance to provide some value. Doing all his damage at once has increased my overall totals for his position. At the cost of clogging up my roster for a while, though.
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby George_Foreman » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:25 am

AdvRider wrote:Tim Hudson .... ;-D

Who figured Huddy to be a 15-game winner by August 22? Especially after his off year last season. 20 Ws is within reach if he ends well (and Teixera helps there). His Ks aren't spectacular but the rest of the digits are way solid, strong enough to put him on the outer edge of the NL Cy Young conversation.

178.2 IP 15-5 110K 3.07 1.17 .251 BAA

"outer edge"? I'd put him 3rd on my ballot, after Peavy and Webb. He's pitched a TON of innings for ATL this year and given the less-than-stellar infield defense he's had behind him, I'm really quite impressed at how well he's been able to do.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers