Strategy -- employ Spot Starters? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Strategy -- employ Spot Starters?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Strategy -- employ Spot Starters?

Postby great gretzky » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:59 am

I've had a weird situation develop this year. I am 14 wins ahead, and 55 innings behind. i seem to be having a lot of relievers win, and not necessarily because a save was blown. Which actually stinks, because I need to make up ground in saves. But I also need to make up ground in K's. I lead the league in wins, era and whip, so I don't want to jeopardize ratios. 40ks nets me two points, 70 three, 78, four.

Is the risk of jeopardizing ratios worth throwing pitchers at the problem? One advantage is that I don't have to care if its a likely win or not...
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Strategy -- employ Spot Starters?

Postby nyrblue2 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:29 pm

I guess it depends on how close your ratio categories are. If you can find WW starters with ratios that aren't much worse than your team totals, have lots of K's, then go for it. Your ratios are so firmly planted by now this late in the season, that you could probably afford a couple rough starts here and there, so long as you get the K's you need. For instance, I had Gallardo for his 2.2 IP, 11ER performance, and my ERA only went up by about 0.01. 40 K's is a good chunk, but definitely attainable.

Unless your ratio categories are reeeeeeeally close, I'd say go for it. The quantitative categories are the ones you can really make up some ground in.
nyrblue2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Knights » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:37 pm

great gretzky wrote:40ks nets me two points, 70 three, 78, four.

You mention fairly specific numbers so I just wanna be sure you're taking this into account... is that how many Ks you need, assuming your competitors don't get any more for the rest of the season? Because remember, their pitchers will still be colleccting Ks the rest of the season as well.
Knights
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 61)

Postby great gretzky » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:43 pm

yea, sorry I thought that was understood. That's the ground I need to make up. 70s seems out of hand really, but there is a basically three-way run for the top. The leader is three points ahead of me, and I'm 2 points ahead of the next guy, and we have like three cats intertwined where we impact each other.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby BALCO All-Stars » Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:37 pm

You say you're 55 IP behind...what about the guys that are in front of you? If they're like 50 over, then you don't need a crazy K/9 rate to catch them...just food for thought.
BALCO All-Stars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby great gretzky » Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:48 pm

checked that out. The guy immediately ahead of me is like 15 below. But I have made some additions that I think will help me catch him. The next two are like 15-20 ahead, but they have a better k staff than me, realistically. I think I screwed up in sitting shields a couple of times in unfavorable matchups. maybe I jsut trot him out there more.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Rounders » Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:25 pm

You have 7 weeks left, I figure little less than 6 IP per start that you spot start. That means you only have to spot start around 10 pitchers over the next 7 weeks to make up your 55 innings. So, I would do it because you have the choice to be very choosy in your starts.
Rounders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Tavish » Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:28 pm

Rounders wrote:You have 7 weeks left, I figure little less than 6 IP per start that you spot start. That means you only have to spot start around 10 pitchers over the next 7 weeks to make up your 55 innings. So, I would do it because you have the choice to be very choosy in your starts.

Excellent advice. Don't go crazy and start guys just to catch up with the Innings Pace. You have plenty of time to do that later if need be, but for right now just snag the spot guys that are hot AND have good match-ups.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 34)

Postby Rounders » Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:32 pm

Something else I like to do is try to end up an inning or so under the limit with a few days to go in the season. Then you pick one day to pitch as many guys as you can. Even though you go over the innings limit pitched, it counts all the stats for the day you go over. So, if you pitch 5 or 6 guys, you could go 30+ innings over your limit, and you could easily gain 15+ Ks on guys that don't do this.
Rounders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby great gretzky » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:28 am

Thanks. I'm not SO worried about innings, and this is the first year that I'm not freaking out about my "hail mary." Just relatively wondering if the Ks can be made up, but I am guessing they can.

I have such a weird team/league this year. Almost everyone has a dog category that they aren't even punting per se, just doing poorly. I am dead last in RBI, But in second place on homers. And I am weirdly successful with wins to the point if they were a tradeable commodity, I would have moved them.

One "good thing" is that now I have a full slate of relievers (we start 4rp, 2P) PLUS as I got myers back and I have marmol. This is something I didn't have earlier as well.

10 over seven seems doable. Question is, do you take high K guys like willis or cabrera, or at this point (factoring in that my ratios are less solid because I'm under innings), can they not do too much harm?
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Return to Baseball Leftovers