Jason Giambi...still hurting? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jason Giambi...still hurting?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jason Giambi...still hurting?

Postby djacks » Wed Feb 11, 2004 12:12 pm

Saw this on cbssportsline:

Jason Giambi, 1B NYY

News: A source familiar with Giambi's rehabilitation for November knee surgery told Newsday that the slugger might not be ready to play defense by opening day.

Analysis: Giambi's slow progress is the likely reason the Yankees are considering signing Travis Lee. While Giambi is a solid Fantasy player when he's in the lineup, remember that his knee did have an adverse effect on his performance in 2003. He's not the clear-cut elite Fantasy stud you might think, so bump his value down just a tad.
"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."-Ayn Rand
djacks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Feb 11, 2004 12:21 pm

thanks. that is certainly someone to keep an eye on this spring. Chances are, in these early drafts, someone will either overpay, or someone will get him as a steal. very interesting
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby trevisc » Wed Feb 11, 2004 12:47 pm

if that's the case and he has to play DH then what does that do to the Bernie Williams/Lofton controversy?

Who gets bumped?
Does Soriano Lead off again?

??????

:-?
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby djacks » Wed Feb 11, 2004 1:50 pm

Definitely creates a lot of different possibilities if Giambi has to DH...I would almost bet it would be a three-way platoon between Giambi, Bernie, and Lofton for DH and CF...

And it looks like that would open up the leadoff spot for Soriano...at least part of the time... :-?
"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."-Ayn Rand
djacks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby nsulham » Wed Feb 11, 2004 2:02 pm

Very interesting indeed.

How do they justify giving Lofton the money if he's just going to be a part-time player?
Do they sit Bernie lose his still capable bat?

Seems like no matter what they do it's going to take one steady bat out of the lineup thanks to Giambi's gimpy knee.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby kentx12 » Wed Feb 11, 2004 2:23 pm

Thanks for giving us the heads up.

There will come a day when Barry Bonds leaves baseball, and everything about the game will be the better for it.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby SoxFanPJ » Wed Feb 11, 2004 2:38 pm

How unfortunate for the Yankees, I really hope the Giambino's knee is ok for opening day. :-]

Time for a Buckner-eque defensive performance out of Giambi
SoxFanPJ
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby KULCAT » Wed Feb 11, 2004 3:31 pm

LOVE THE CAFE. Inmediate feedback. Try getting that from ESPN.
"Nothing is this world worth remembering was ever accomplished without Pasion"-Hegel
KULCAT
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1)

Postby sigtaulefty » Wed Feb 11, 2004 5:59 pm

If Giambi is DH'ing early - I can see Lofton riding the pine. I wonder if they'll experiment a little and try Lofton or Bernie at first. I doubt it, but it's a thought.
sigtaulefty
College Coach
College Coach

Yankee infield

Postby Spokes » Wed Feb 11, 2004 6:59 pm

Well, everyone knows that Giambi can't play first. And the longer he stayed out there, the sooner he'll inevitably land on the DL. Travis Lee is known for his fielding and I welcome him with open arms. Anything he does with the bat is a bonus. I mean, if Giambi is out there, how bad of a fielding infield would that be? Giambi, Soriano, Jeter and ??? That's why the Yanks are also looking to land Adrian Beltre. Like Lee, anything he does it with the bat is extra. All we need is his glove. As for the rest of the team, I see Bernie playing center 4-5 times week with Lofton coming off the bench once or twice a week to rest the suddenly 36 Williams (Remember when he was leading off?!?!). Either way, Giambi, Williams and Lofton are all guys I will be trying hard to avoid in my draft in a couple of weeks. This coming from a guy whose middle name is Munson.
The best lyric ever: "You shouldn't throw stones if you live in a glass house and if you gotta glass jaw you should watch your mouth...'cause I'll break yo face."
Spokes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers