Holds question - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Holds question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Holds question

Postby triple3play » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:11 pm

Does a pitcher still get credit for a hold if the closer then goes on to blow the save?
triple3play
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Holds question

Postby Nooner » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:45 pm

Yes.
Nooner
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby JTWood » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:47 pm

Yes. Unlike the loss rule, a Hold is credited to the pitcher when he leaves the game. So even if he comes in with a 1-run lead and leaves with the bases loaded only to have the closer finish the collapse, the BS will go to the closer and the reliever will get a Hold.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Noggy » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:41 am

JTWood, because the go ahead run would be charged to the first pitcher in that scenario, he wouldn't get a hold but rather be in line to take the loss.

A pitcher can fail to record an out and still get a hold as long as the runner(s) he lets reach base don't end up being the tying or go ahead run.

I'm pretty sure that's how it works at least. Since holds aren't an official MLB stat, I think one major stat provider requires the reliever to record an out while another doesn't. I know Yahoo doesn't require an out.
Noggy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:48 am

Noggy wrote:JTWood, because the go ahead run would be charged to the first pitcher in that scenario, he wouldn't get a hold but rather be in line to take the loss.

Yeah, what I'm saying is that I think a guy can get a hold and a loss from the same appearance.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Noggy » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:56 am

StlSluggers wrote:
Noggy wrote:JTWood, because the go ahead run would be charged to the first pitcher in that scenario, he wouldn't get a hold but rather be in line to take the loss.

Yeah, what I'm saying is that I think a guy can get a hold and a loss from the same appearance.

I'm pretty sure that like a save, a pitcher can't get a hold if he is the pitcher of record. I've never seen a boxscore with a pitcher getting a hold and a loss.

EDIT: Although reading more about a hold on wiki, it sounds like I'm wrong about this. It's a pretty weird stat.
Noggy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby dclark0699 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:26 am

I'm pretty sure I've seen one this year where the pitcher got both a hold and a loss.
dclark0699
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:33 am

A pitcher can definitely get a hold and a loss in the same game. The original definition of a hold was that a pitcher had to enter the game in a save situation, record at least 1 out, and leave with the lead intact. Some time ago, it appears that they removed the "record an out" portion. How a pitcher can get a loss is if he leaves runners on base, the next pitcher allows them to score, and those runs are the runs of record.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Ursa » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:43 pm

Lofunzo wrote:A pitcher can definitely get a hold and a loss in the same game. The original definition of a hold was that a pitcher had to enter the game in a save situation, record at least 1 out, and leave with the lead intact. Some time ago, it appears that they removed the "record an out" portion. How a pitcher can get a loss is if he leaves runners on base, the next pitcher allows them to score, and those runs are the runs of record.

There are two schools of thought on this. In Yahoo, you definitely have to record an out to get a hold, even though the overnight stats may show a hold when no out has been recorded. This is the generally accepted version. There is another version where no out is required. Basically, I think it depends on which agency you're using.
Ursa
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Noggy » Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:47 pm

Ursa wrote:In Yahoo, you definitely have to record an out to get a hold, even though the overnight stats may show a hold when no out has been recorded.

Oh, is that how it is? I knew I've seen guys not record an out and get a hold in yahoo boxscores and that threw me off after reading more about the rules that yahoo's provider follows.

Why aren't a loss and a hold mutually exclusive? If a pitcher gets charged with the loss, he was obviously responsible for the lead not being held. I have a better understanding of the rule now, but not so much the logic behind it. I think I understand why holds aren't an official stat now.
Noggy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers