Any news on Ben Sheets? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Any news on Ben Sheets?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Any news on Ben Sheets?

Postby baseballstud » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:17 pm

Looks like we may get Benny Boy back as soon as tomorrow:

CHICAGO -- The Milwaukee Brewers might have an ace up their sleeve.

A team official told ESPN's Peter Gammons on Tuesday night that the Brewers hope to start Ben Sheets against the Cubs on Wednesday.

Sheets, on the DL since July 16 with a sprained middle finger on his right hand, was to test his injury before Tuesday's game against Chicago. The Brewers' ace is 10-4 with a 3.39 ERA in 19 starts this season. He has missed 39 games and Milwaukee is 14-25 since he was put on the DL, falling out of first place in the NL Central.

"It provides a little stability for your club. Having your No. 1 guy back out there helps," manager Ned Yost said before the game.

"We'll see how Benny is and then we'll adjust the rotation from there. If Benny can pitch, then you know Benny might pitch [Wednesday]. We'll see how he feels."

Let's hope this is true so he's a 2 start next week for my playoff team ;-D ;-D

The Brewers already made a roster move, putting right-hander Claudio Vargas on the 15-day disabled list Tuesday with a strained lower back.

Vargas is 10-4 with a 5.13 ERA in 25 games, including 23 starts.
baseballstud
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 39)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby nyrblue2 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:55 am

Great news overall, but it sucks that I can't activate him for today's game because the player drop to make room for him isn't effective until tomorrow. I've always hated that aspect of Yahoo...
nyrblue2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Rounders » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:24 am

nyrblue2 wrote:Great news overall, but it sucks that I can't activate him for today's game because the player drop to make room for him isn't effective until tomorrow. I've always hated that aspect of Yahoo...

It's an adjustable setting if you're in a private league.
Rounders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby nyrblue2 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:56 am

I am, but it's probably too late in the season to ask the commish to make a settings change that is clearly driven on a personal basis.

Which setting are you referring to though? The only option I ever saw for daily roster changes is one where the changes are effective "tomorrow". Are you saying there is a "Daily-Today" option?
nyrblue2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby baseballstud » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:37 am

nyrblue2 wrote:I am, but it's probably too late in the season to ask the commish to make a settings change that is clearly driven on a personal basis.

Which setting are you referring to though? The only option I ever saw for daily roster changes is one where the changes are effective "tomorrow". Are you saying there is a "Daily-Today" option?

Yeah to the post 2 up, I'm also curious to see what the setting is. I've never seen anything for something like that, but I hate how it's set up, so please let us know.
baseballstud
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 39)

Postby Rounders » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:57 am

baseballstud wrote:
nyrblue2 wrote:I am, but it's probably too late in the season to ask the commish to make a settings change that is clearly driven on a personal basis.

Yeah to the post 2 up, I'm also curious to see what the setting is. I've never seen anything for something like that, but I hate how it's set up, so please let us know.

Yes, there is a Daily - Today option (I think it can only be changed up to the start of the season, and possibly only up to the draft). Our league used it last year, but we accidentally went back to the "tomorrow" option (someone else set up the league, and it was too late to change the option by the time I realized it). What I don't like about the "today" one is that if you have someone in your starting roster, and the game has started, you can't make a transaction with him until the next day (sucks if you want to drop a middle reliever for a guy that just became the closer - for example). This is one of the things I've put in as suggestions for change.
I prefer how Sporting News handles it. You can make moves up until the start of the game. Once the game starts, he is locked in. But you can still drop him, and it will be effective for tomorrow's roster.

Sorry for hijacking the Ben Sheets update.
Rounders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Slayer Rules » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:12 pm

I haven't heard any definitive word on what this means for Gallardo. I know they're sending Vargas to the DL - does this mean thay YG is unaffected?
Slayer Rules
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby nyrblue2 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:15 pm

No problem because I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who are upset they can't activate Sheets today and are wondering about the "Daily-Today" option.

I actually just messaged Fantasy Sports Genie (works for Yahoo) back and forth about this issue and he said the "Daily-Today" option is only available in PLUS leagues. Is that what you meant when you said "custom" leagues?

I agree that it would be rough not being able to make a roster move for the next day when a player's game has started. But couldn't you scroll ahead to "tomorrow" and do a "drop player"? Or does it just know that all "drop players" have to elegible to happen "today"? Yea, they should have a "Daily - Today/Tomorrow" option. Or just update the "Daily-Today" to have a day lag if the game already started...
nyrblue2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Rounders » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:25 pm

nyrblue2 wrote:No problem because I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who are upset they can't activate Sheets today and are wondering about the "Daily-Today" option.

I actually just messaged Fantasy Sports Genie (works for Yahoo) back and forth about this issue and he said the "Daily-Today" option is only available in PLUS leagues. Is that what you meant when you said "custom" leagues?

I agree that it would be rough not being able to make a roster move for the next day when a player's game has started. But couldn't you scroll ahead to "tomorrow" and do a "drop player"? Or does it just know that all "drop players" have to elegible to happen "today"? Yea, they should have a "Daily - Today/Tomorrow" option. Or just update the "Daily-Today" to have a day lag if the game already started...

Okay, didn't realize it was only PLUS leagues. That's all I play in, so I don't know all the specifics of free leagues.

I believe I've tried to scroll ahead to the next day and make transactions, but it didn't work. Hopefully this is something they'll look at changing for next year (obviously something they can't change mid season), or at least give the option of doing it the other way.
Rounders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates