Buchholz to be called up Friday? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Buchholz to be called up Friday?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Buchholz to be called up Friday?

Postby ScrappyDoo » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:39 am

This is from CBS.

"The Red Sox reportedly will not use both Josh Beckett and Curt Schilling in the doubleheader Friday, which might mean a call-up of Clay Buchholz to start one of the games against the L.A. Angels. Schilling will pitch Saturday on six day's rest, followed by two-start pitcher Tim Wakefield on Sunday. Jon Lester, who could have pitched on regular rest Sunday, will not be a two-start pitcher now."

Anybody have any info on this. I have tickets Friday and it would be pretty cool to see Buchholz's first appearance in the bigs. I have the tickets for the night game. What are the chances that he starts that game?
ScrappyDoo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Buchholz to be called up Friday?

Postby Havok1517 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:45 am

Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 117)

Postby Havok1517 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:45 pm

Clay Buchholtz has been added to the Yahoo database in anticipation of his arrival later in the week. Also, he's listed as a SP and will likely pitch in relief most of the season earning him the valuable SP,RP eligibilty.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby Bwanna » Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:04 pm

How good is he and what are expectations?
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st], '13, [1st/2nd], '14, [1st/1st]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 257)

Postby zEli173 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:05 pm

At this point, he's one of the best pitching prospects in the minors. His numbers have been very good at every level, including a limited stint at AAA over the past few weeks. But if he's promoted, it'll be a little on the fast side and it can't be expected that he'll stay up for more than one start. He's been great this season, but he's not yet at that point where Lincecum and Gallardo were when they had proven everything they could and then some in the minors.

I've only seen a a brief glimpse of him in the Futures Game. His fastball is mid to low 90's with good location but it looked kind of straight to me. His slider is his best pitch, it is pretty nasty. Didn't see enough of the change up.
zEli173
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby baseballyes » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:43 pm

as mentioned above, Buchholz is certainly one of, if not the best, pitching prospect currently in the minors. He dominated AA with numbers extremely similar to Phillip Hughes, and a better era. He has 4 very good pitches (fastball, change, curve, and slider). A testmanent to the quality and command of his secondary pitches is the debate over which is the best. I've read many different sources claiming his change, his curve, and slider are his best pitch. He has a good fastball, he sits in the lower 90s but can get up to the mid 90s. However, his largest issue throughout his minor league career has been his struggles with fastball command.

He certainly profiles as a true ace, especially if he can improve his FB command.

AA era: 1.77 ip: 86.2 h: 55 r:18 er: 17 hr: 4 BB: 22 SO: 116 GO/AO: 0.95
AAA era" 3.26ip: 30.1 23 h: 13 r:11 er: 5 hr:5 BB:8 SO: 48 GO/AO: 1.65

If he has all his stuff working I think he's definitely succeed at the moment and be a force in the majors. He has fantastic stuff and command of his breaking pitches. If his FB command is shaky he may be prone to giving up a few HRs, but as you can see from his current AAA numbers, he doesn't allow many people on base in the first place, so the HRs wont hurt as much.

Anyway, I would read this break down of Buchholz (and Joba Chamberlain) to get a better understanding. http://minorleagueball.com/story/2007/8/14/13058/6308

Fantasy wise - i picked Buchholz up since he has the ability to be an immediate impact player. However, unless Lester continues to pitch poorly, there really isn't an opening in the rotation for Buchholz, other than this possible friday start.
baseballyes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Havok1517 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:02 pm

zEli173 wrote:At this point, he's one of the best pitching prospects in the minors. His numbers have been very good at every level, including a limited stint at AAA over the past few weeks. But if he's promoted, it'll be a little on the fast side and it can't be expected that he'll stay up for more than one start. He's been great this season, but he's not yet at that point where Lincecum and Gallardo were when they had proven everything they could and then some in the minors.

I've only seen a a brief glimpse of him in the Futures Game. His fastball is mid to low 90's with good location but it looked kind of straight to me. His slider is his best pitch, it is pretty nasty. Didn't see enough of the change up.

After he starts Friday, Buchholtz is reported to stick around and pitch in relief for the Red Sox.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:20 am

today's good outing by lester makes it less likely he'll have a spot in the rotation after his first.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Bloody Sox » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:35 am

Havok1517 wrote:
zEli173 wrote:At this point, he's one of the best pitching prospects in the minors. His numbers have been very good at every level, including a limited stint at AAA over the past few weeks. But if he's promoted, it'll be a little on the fast side and it can't be expected that he'll stay up for more than one start. He's been great this season, but he's not yet at that point where Lincecum and Gallardo were when they had proven everything they could and then some in the minors.

After he starts Friday, Buchholtz is reported to stick around and pitch in relief for the Red Sox.

That's not what I heard last night on WEEI... Sean McAdam said he thinks the Sox will either trade/designate/release Wily Mo to open a spot for Buchholz, then immediately send him down to bring up Bobby Kielty.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:54 pm

Why can't the Red Sox just let Julian Tavarez make the start? It seems kind of dumb to just let Wily Mo go so that we can let Buchholz make one measley start. Then we can just call up Kielty on Sept. 1 once the rosters expand to 40. I hate getting rid of Wily Mo so that we can get Kielty up here one week earlier, and I also don't like the idea of starting Buchholz's arbitration clock early so he can make one start... (I realize the Red Sox don't worry about these things, but 5 years down the road this could make a huge difference for us)
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Return to Baseball Leftovers