41 straight, Where is the Bobby Jenks love - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

41 straight, Where is the Bobby Jenks love

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 41 straight, Where is the Bobby Jenks love

Postby 5 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:54 pm

Yup, that is pretty impressive.

Meanwhile in Beantown, Gagne....
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Rounders » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:24 pm

So, what do people think about them putting him in in the 9th inning of a losing game against the bottom of the order just to get the record? I guess the pitching coach called the bullpen in the 6th inning to see if he wanted to do it, and Jenks said yes. It is nonetheless very impressive, but I was just wondering what everyone thought about Guillen, Cooper, and Jenks deciding to do it this way.
Personally, I'm actually okay with it since it gives the Sox fans something to cheer about in an otherwise disappointing season. Plus, this way he did it at home where it will be appreciated.
Rounders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:09 pm

Rounders wrote:So, what do people think about them putting him in in the 9th inning of a losing game against the bottom of the order just to get the record? I guess the pitching coach called the bullpen in the 6th inning to see if he wanted to do it, and Jenks said yes. It is nonetheless very impressive, but I was just wondering what everyone thought about Guillen, Cooper, and Jenks deciding to do it this way.
Personally, I'm actually okay with it since it gives the Sox fans something to cheer about in an otherwise disappointing season. Plus, this way he did it at home where it will be appreciated.
So, what do people think about them putting him in in the 9th inning of a losing game against the bottom of the order just to get the record? I guess the pitching coach called the bullpen in the 6th inning to see if he wanted to do it, and Jenks said yes. It is nonetheless very impressive, but I was just wondering what everyone thought about Guillen, Cooper, and Jenks deciding to do it this way.

I'm fine with it... Jenks hadn't pitched yet in the series, and it's fairly normal for a closer to comes in every 3-4 days just to get some work in and stay sharp. The White Sox don't play tonight either, so it's not like this is going to hamper him in any way. Completely legitimate and actually pretty normal (I mean him coming in with his team behind)...
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby slomo007 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:01 pm

Why would this be looked down upon? Who cares if he's doing it just for the record. The bottom line is that he got 3 outs so the outs were not cheap in anyway. Is it for health reasons that you questioned it? ie, never using your closer unless the game is on the line?
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby ChoneJohn » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:46 pm

Yep, they want about it in the right manner. Getting Jenks an inning of work here and there is probably going to be par for the course from here on out, 'cause the Sox sure don't look like they'll be in many games in which they'll be leading by three or fewer runs. I've liked Jenks since he came up with the Angels, and I've only been concerned about how he'd hold up with Crazy Ozzie as his manager. Seems that his hard-throwin', hard-drinkin' personality is exactly the kind that can put up with his manager's occasional crazy rants and ideas.
Go Tigers!
ChoneJohn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby SmartassBoiler » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:36 pm

ChoneJohn wrote:'cause the Sox sure don't look like they'll be in many games in which they'll be leading by three or fewer runs.

That must be why he's 4th in MLB in saves? :-?
SmartassBoiler
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ChoneJohn » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:31 pm

LOL...just making a point that the Sox have had a terrible year :-b . No offense against Jenks, who has been one of the few bright spots on a disappointing team.
Go Tigers!
ChoneJohn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Rounders » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:05 pm

slomo007 wrote:Why would this be looked down upon? Who cares if he's doing it just for the record. The bottom line is that he got 3 outs so the outs were not cheap in anyway. Is it for health reasons that you questioned it? ie, never using your closer unless the game is on the line?

I didn't necessarily question it. I was just wondering what people thought, because I've heard a couple people write or call into 670 The Score in Chicago that didn't agree with the method. Pretty much, they weren't going to use him, but Cooper called down to the bullpen and asked if he wanted to try to get the record. Jenks wanted to, so Ozzie gave him the ball. I heard a couple people complaining about it, so I was just wondering what people outside of the Chicago area thought.
Rounders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby JTWood » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:19 pm

Hey, you guys remember when he had that shaky spring?
Hey, you guys remember when he had that shaky spring last year?

I'm just sayin'... :-)
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Madison » Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:48 am

Rounders wrote:
slomo007 wrote:Why would this be looked down upon? Who cares if he's doing it just for the record. The bottom line is that he got 3 outs so the outs were not cheap in anyway. Is it for health reasons that you questioned it? ie, never using your closer unless the game is on the line?

I didn't necessarily question it. I was just wondering what people thought, because I've heard a couple people write or call into 670 The Score in Chicago that didn't agree with the method. Pretty much, they weren't going to use him, but Cooper called down to the bullpen and asked if he wanted to try to get the record. Jenks wanted to, so Ozzie gave him the ball. I heard a couple people complaining about it, so I was just wondering what people outside of the Chicago area thought.

I saw it as just an inning of work to stay sharp.

Granted, with the streak intact and going for the record, it wasn't "just an inning of work" and the streak is impressive ;-D , but it's not exactly unusual or anything for a closer to toss an inning here and there, and definitely not unusual before an off day. I don't see anything for anyone to grab hold of as far as trying to taint this or complain about a "method" or whatever. Very normal situation for a closer to get an inning of work after not pitching a few days and before an off day.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers