Wrigley Parking - stuff to do after - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Chicago Cubs

Wrigley Parking - stuff to do after

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Chicago native's advice

Postby drocto » Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:55 pm

Hi all,

New today to the forum. I live 6 blocks from Wrigley and take the red line to Skokie (and the Howard station) regularly.

The neighborhood near the Howard El stop is not the greatest, but if you park in the park & ride garage, you should be ok. To be on the safe side, though, my suggestion would be to leave nothing in the car to steal, put the club on the steering wheel and leave it unlocked. This is my practice everywhere in the city.

Your other option is to park in the neighborhood just north of Wrigleyville, Uptown (where I live). You can almost always find street parking somewhere within 6 to 8 blocks of the stadium if you're north of it. Some of the parking rates at pay lots aren't outrageous either. There are some places that you can park really close to the field for almost as cheap as 4 round trip el tickets. If you do park on the street, make sure you don't disobey any parking violations as most Chicago parking tickets are $50 +!

If you want to go to bars after the game, your busy options have been listed (as has Bernie's, where I've never been). I might reccomend a few other places, though.

Busy:
Cubby Bear - Just south of Addison on Sheffield (it's a huge sports bar for being a storefront joint)

Not busy:
Nisei Lounge - Between Cornelia and Newport (south of Addison) on Sheffield
Underground Lounge - On Newport (Two blocks south of Addison) Just west of Sheffield
Nick's Uptown - Sheridan (same street as Sheffield, just 3 blocks north of the stadium) and Irving Park (4 blocks north of Addison)

Food places:
Twist - Corner of Newport, Sheffield and Clark great Tapas - try the Jalepeno Gnocchi
Penny's - Just south of same corner, good, cheap noodle place
Cubby Dog - Just south of Addison on Clark, across the street from Slugger's, good Gyros
"... gas prices are headed through the roof, everyone in the Middle East hates us, Toronto and Seattle are in last place -- happy 1978, everybody!." - Bill Scheft, Sports Illustrated, April 26, 2004
drocto
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

rjboles

Postby rjboles » Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:58 pm

Dude, you're awesome! Thanks for the 411. I think what we've decided on is to drive to Winnetka and take the Purple to the Red at Howard, and not worry about having to leave the door unlocked and the Club on. :) We're going to the Green Mill to see some jazz that night, but didn't know where to go or what to do from the end of the game til we headed there, and that's a good 3 hours.

One more question popped into my head... Is it easy to find a cab at night in that part of Chicago around midnight (Broadway & Lawrence)? I'm no rube or anything, just never been to chicago, and don't know the neighborhoods in the slightest.

Thanks,
Rich
rjboles
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Los Angeles Cubs » Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:33 pm

isnt it weird that this is the most active topic?
Go Cubs!
Los Angeles Cubs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cab at the Green Mill... no prob

Postby drocto » Fri Mar 19, 2004 2:59 am

Late at night (starting around 11PM or so) there are cabs sitting on Broadway at the corner of Lawrence waiting for people who walk out of the Green Mill to get in. Also, if there's a concert at the Riviera or the Aragon (two venues within a block of the mill), there will be cabs honking at you to try to get you to get in. Have fun... hope this has all been helpful.
"... gas prices are headed through the roof, everyone in the Middle East hates us, Toronto and Seattle are in last place -- happy 1978, everybody!." - Bill Scheft, Sports Illustrated, April 26, 2004
drocto
College Coach
College Coach

Postby drocto » Fri Mar 19, 2004 3:03 am

Also, any other time, it's pretty easy to find a cab, but at the Green Mill, you're also less than a block away from a Red Line stop, if that helps.
drocto
College Coach
College Coach

!!!

Postby rjboles » Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:53 pm

You rock dude! I found a couple of tourism books in the bookstore about Chicago, since my previous post, and they pretty much confirmed what you said about cabs. I've known for a while where Green Mill was in relation to the El, but it's nice to have that confirmed.

You want to know what's frustrating for an out of towner about the CTA's website? They don't list the addresses, or even the intersections, for ANY of the El stations/stops. It was a real bitch finding out the cross streets for some of the stops. I still don't know EXACTLY where the Winnetka (end of purple line) one is, but I figure it can't be all that hard to find.

You rock dude, thanks!

Rich
rjboles
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby rjboles » Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:56 pm

You rock man! I was able to confirm what you said about the cabs from a Chicago tourism book at Waldnebooks, but it's still good to hear it from a local. I knew about the location of the El stop nearby, but it's not like the CTA website makes that information easy to figure out. There is nowhere on their site where they tell you the addresses or cross streets of their stops. Very frustrating. I was able to figure out the one by Green Mill at Lawrence, though, by surfing the web looking for Green Mill 411.

Thanks!
rjboles
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby rjboles » Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:59 pm

Los Angeles Cubs wrote:isnt it weird that this is the most active topic?

Not really. There are more out of towner Cub fans than there are for any other team in MLB, and not all of them have been to Wrigley before. A forum like this seems to be the natural place to ask seemingly obvious questions that manage to have hard to findanswers.

Rich
rjboles
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Previous

Return to Chicago Cubs