Wrigley Parking - stuff to do after - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Chicago Cubs

Wrigley Parking - stuff to do after

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Wrigley Parking - stuff to do after

Postby rjboles » Wed Feb 11, 2004 6:33 am

Hey guys. I'm new to the site. I'm a life long Cub fan who just moved to SE WI, within 80 miles or so of Wrigley. I haven't been there since 1985 when I was 12. I'm hoping someone can give me some good instructions on how awful parking is down there. I read through the website at cubs.com about parking and the CTA and stuff, but since I haven't been to chicago since I was 12, it's all greek to me. My girlfriend and I are going to the April 17 game v. Cincinnati, and are planning on going to the Green Mill (about 1.9 miles north, off of Sheffield) to see a jazz singer that evening. So what here's I would like to know.

Since we're planning on staying within a couple miles of Wrigley all night long, where should I think about parking w/o getting towed?

What are some good things to do / places to hit between the end of a day game and a concert around 9 PM a couple miles north.

I appreciate any ideas and input you guys could come up with for me.

Thanks,
Rich
mailto:rjbflb@hotmail.com
rjboles
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ironman » Wed Feb 11, 2004 12:50 pm

Last year was the first year I went to Wrigley and hung around afterwards. As far as bars a lot of people talk about Sluggers, Wrigleyville, and the Cubby Bear. All in all they're not bad places but they are always way too crowded and their prices are a bit too outrageous, especially on the weekends when they really like to gouge you. I think the consensus favorite for me and my friends was Bernie's. Bernie's is across from Wrigley on Clark. Its nothing fancy but we had a good time there and we didn't feel like sardines trying to move about. A couple blocks north on Clark is a place called the Ginger Man. Not a sports bar by any means but has an excellent selection of beers, had a decent crowd after the game without the overpacked drunken rowdy vibe you get at other places. I recommend that place if you wanna sit down and not drink the lame light beers. If you head south on Clark you'll find Goose Island which is a microbrewery and restaurant. We had dinner there. Good burgers and a lot of good brews. If you ever venture downtown after a game you gotta eat at Harry Caray's. Great food and you may bump into a player or two. We went there after Cubs-Cards one time and saw Fernando Vina and Chip Caray was at the bar talking to all the customers.

Parking can be an issue. When we've drove in we usually are there about three hours before game time so we've never had a problem finding a spot on the street somewhere. Just be prepared to walk. I have no idea if there are time limits for on-street parking. I'm a big fan of taking the train in. We usually try to stay somewhere near a CTA station and take the Red Line to the game. That way we don't have to worry about the headaches of parking and if we're all having some beers we don't have to worry about who's driving. You can check out the train system at http://www.transitchicago.com.

That's about all I know. Have fun. Wrigley is always a good time! ;-D
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)

Postby DieHardCubbie » Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:43 pm

Welcome to the Cafe' rj... ;-D

ironman gave you some good ideas.....the last few times I went to Chicago...we stayed near the CTA and took the Redline as well....That seems to be what worked out best for us....and any true Cubbie fan that goes to Wrigley....will definately visit Harry Caray's while they are there.... ;-D

Bernie's is pretty cool too.... B-)
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby rjboles » Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:47 am

thanks for the tips guys.

A few specifics. I was hoping to drive to Kenosha and take the Metra down there, but the last Metra runs back to Kenosha too early for us to be out all night. So THEN we were going to drive to Skokie, but the Yellow line from Skokie to the Howard St. Station (where the redline starts) doesn't run on Saturdays, grrr. So now the thought is to drive to the Howard St. station and leave the car there all day/night. So NOW what I want to know is...

What's THAT neighborhood like, and is it safe?

Do any of you have any better ideas?

Thanks,
Rich
rjboles
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

bump

Postby rjboles » Fri Mar 05, 2004 3:27 am

Bueller? Bueller?
rjboles
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Re: ...

Postby bell » Fri Mar 05, 2004 4:43 pm

I used to live in Racine. I moved from there out here to Arizona. Man, do I miss cheese curds, Racine's kringles and Infusinos' pizza. :,-(
bell
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Buy a kringle

Postby rjboles » Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:29 pm

rjboles
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Re: Buy a kringle

Postby bell » Mon Mar 08, 2004 11:06 am

lol... ;-D

How am I supposed to decide between all of those flavors. :-?
bell
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby rjboles » Tue Mar 09, 2004 4:09 am

any more comments about the Howard St. area, and other ideas for an out of towner, or is this thread pretty much dead?

Thanks,
Rich

PS: I'm a fan of plain old cherry. Can't go wrong with fruit.
rjboles
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Re: Buy a kringle

Postby ironman » Wed Mar 10, 2004 1:06 pm

bell wrote:

lol... ;-D

How am I supposed to decide between all of those flavors. :-?

That's crazy this was brought up. My co-worker last month brought in two kringles he had sent to him from a bakery in Racine for his birthday. I had never heard of them before. I ate nearly half of one, I couldn't help myself. I think they lace them with heroin! ;-)
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)

Next

Return to Chicago Cubs