Barry Bonds, and how many HRs will he end up with, and WHY? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Barry Bonds, and how many HRs will he end up with, and WHY?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Barry Bonds, and how many HRs will he end up with, and WHY?

Postby sgnilloccaz » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:28 am

How many HRs do you think Barry Bonds will end up with at the end of his career, and WHY?
sgnilloccaz
College Coach
College Coach

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Barry Bonds, and how many HRs will he end up with, and WHY?

Postby PlayingWithFire » Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:00 pm

Less than 800 that's for sure, will probably play 1 more season. I don't see any team besides the A's(and that's only if Bonds had a horrible year) or the Giants wanting him. And I can't picture him playing OF in 09, it's bad enough defense already this year.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:02 am

I'm going to say he ends up around 850-900. However, this is completely dependent on Barry going to the AL. If he goes to the AL, I think he can hit around 35, maybe 40 HR next year (assuming he's not indicted). Barry's going to end up around 30 this year. Going to the AL will enable him to play in more games, and not have to wear himself out playing defense. Also, the media circus will not be around him as much, which will give him a calmer mind. Also, Barry has said that he'll play until he can't play at an MLB level anymore. THis makes me think he has about 3 years left in him.

THis year: 8 more HR
2007: 40 HR
2008: 35 HR
2009: 15 HR (Barry finally falls apart, but still hits a few as a part-time DH....)

This ends him up with 855 HR, which is around where I think he'll end up at (this is of course, dependent on him ending up in the AL and him not being indicted)...
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby AussieDodger » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:37 am

I don't think he'll be back next year. (Although I'd like him to keep playing)
How big an offer will teams seriously give him?
I can't see anyone paying more then $10 million maximum - and will that be "worth Barry's while" for all the bull he is probably going to get (as usual).
Playing for Oakland for around $7 million (which would be great , go Oakland) - but has he got enough money where all the annoyance is not worth it?
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 24)

Postby willy-t » Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:28 pm

AussieDodger wrote:I don't think he'll be back next year. (Although I'd like him to keep playing)
How big an offer will teams seriously give him?
I can't see anyone paying more then $10 million maximum - and will that be "worth Barry's while" for all the bull he is probably going to get (as usual).
Playing for Oakland for around $7 million (which would be great , go Oakland) - but has he got enough money where all the annoyance is not worth it?

Barry will get paid, and without hikm the Giants offence would be even more miserable than it is. He's still an elite hitter - 5th on SLG, 1st in OBP by almost 70 points, 1st in OPS and 9th in HRs. He's still a stud at the plate and would be considerably underpaid at $10m in this market
willy-t
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AussieDodger » Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:04 pm

willy-t wrote:He's still an elite hitter - 5th on SLG, 1st in OBP by almost 70 points, 1st in OPS and 9th in HRs. He's still a stud at the plate and would be considerably underpaid at $10m in this market

Yes , you are right. He is still awesome with .497 OBP and .590 SLG.
But I'm thinking that teams would be wary of someone who is 43 , health-wise and the inevitable skill slide that they have at that age.
I don't think anyone would be silly enough (outside the Yankees , who seem to think it is a race to spend all their cash) to risk more then $10 million on someone that old.
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 24)

Postby thedude » Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:12 pm

no one other than the giants wanted anything to do with him last offseason.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Scout » Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:24 pm

AussieDodger wrote:
willy-t wrote:He's still an elite hitter - 5th on SLG, 1st in OBP by almost 70 points, 1st in OPS and 9th in HRs. He's still a stud at the plate and would be considerably underpaid at $10m in this market

Yes , you are right. He is still awesome with .497 OBP and .590 SLG.
But I'm thinking that teams would be wary of someone who is 43 , health-wise and the inevitable skill slide that they have at that age.
I don't think anyone would be silly enough (outside the Yankees , who seem to think it is a race to spend all their cash) to risk more then $10 million on someone that old.

I completely disagree. Bonds is the major league's best hitter. There are plenty of teams that would risk $10 million for him despite the fact that he's old. The one deterrent is the media circus that surrounds him, not necessarily his age.

For God's sake, teams throw money at the likes of Zito, Meche, Drew, etc. And they're not willing it to throw just $10 million to the best hitter in baseball?!
Scout
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby GiantsFan14 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:06 am

thedude wrote:no one other than the giants wanted anything to do with him last offseason.

actually he was quite close to signing with the rangers and they seem to have no problem signing guys with off-field baggage (sosa)

my guess is that the giants bring him back next year as the team is still gonna be horrible and he will draw fans...if he still wants to play in '09 he probably goes to an AL team and DHs, probably the A's or the rangers
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 429)

Return to Baseball Leftovers