Hunter vs Byrnes: who's the more valuable OF? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Hunter vs Byrnes: who's the more valuable OF?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

better OF for 08

Torii Hunter
8
57%
Eric Byrnes
6
43%
 
Total votes : 14

Hunter vs Byrnes: who's the more valuable OF?

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:13 pm

i'm trying to decide who'll be a better fantasy OF for 08. they both can hit for some power and have good speed, but hunter has the track record. on the other hand, byrnes is having a stellar season and maybe everything is coming together for him late at age 31. i believe both were playing for contracts until byrnes recently signed the contract extension. is it possible that hunter signs to be a part of a more potent lineup and thus increasing his value? i know torii has the edge in power, but byrnes has the edge in speed which can be more scarce in fantasy.
Image
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 6508
Joined: 18 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: City of Grigori

Re: Hunter vs Byrnes: who's the more valuable OF?

Postby Snakes Gould » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:34 pm

well considering torii hunter is 90 % going to another team, i dont think you can determine it right now.
Image

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16051
(Past Year: 65)
Joined: 1 Nov 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Eternal Bliss

Re: Hunter vs Byrnes: who's the more valuable OF?

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:38 pm

I would definatly say Hunter's consistancy at this point.
Image

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

User avatar
CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 3538
(Past Year: 133)
Joined: 11 May 2006
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Hunter vs Byrnes: who's the more valuable OF?

Postby Snakes Gould » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:42 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:I would definatly say Hunter's consistancy at this point.


consistency of what? hes a career ..271 hitter, and hes having the best slugging year of his career (conveniently his contract year) and hes never had a OBP of higher than .337. his sb's 23, 6, 21, 23, 12, 11 so far this year. not so consistent.

to me, torii is a .275 hitter with 27 hr 18 sb or so and not really being a big run producer or scorer. this, mixed with him being 32 and getting a fat contract, makes me not too high on torii. never have been actually.
Image

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16051
(Past Year: 65)
Joined: 1 Nov 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Eternal Bliss

Re: Hunter vs Byrnes: who's the more valuable OF?

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:50 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:
A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:I would definatly say Hunter's consistancy at this point.


consistency of what? hes a career ..271 hitter, and hes having the best slugging year of his career (conveniently his contract year) and hes never had a OBP of higher than .337. his sb's 23, 6, 21, 23, 12, 11 so far this year. not so consistent.

to me, torii is a .275 hitter with 27 hr 18 sb or so and not really being a big run producer or scorer. this, mixed with him being 32 and getting a fat contract, makes me not too high on torii. never have been actually.


I haven't ever been particularly high on him either, and put his past #s down as much as you want, but they're still a heck of a lot better than Byrnes' past #s.
Image

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

User avatar
CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 3538
(Past Year: 133)
Joined: 11 May 2006
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Hunter vs Byrnes: who's the more valuable OF?

Postby King Tim » Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:24 am

I've read that the Rangers are the front runner to land Torii next year. He would post great #s in that ballpark.
King Tim
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 695
Joined: 17 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Vegas

Re: Hunter vs Byrnes: who's the more valuable OF?

Postby Yoda » Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:17 am

Byrnes has been this year but he couldn't carry Hunter's jock in terms of career.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Re: Hunter vs Byrnes: who's the more valuable OF?

Postby WharfRat » Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:31 am

Do you have to take either? I don't trust Byrnes. His BABIP is up at .336, which is not bad but how repeatable is it? And we don't know where Hunter is playing. IMO, they're both overrated, but Byrnes moreso.
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 3056
Joined: 27 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Walking my fish

Re: Hunter vs Byrnes: who's the more valuable OF?

Postby Snakes Gould » Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:32 am

Yoda wrote:Byrnes has been this year but he couldn't carry Hunter's jock in terms of career.


thats pretty silly. byrnes has been moved around so much and you can throw 2005 out the door. he was traded twice within 2 weeks. no one would be comfortable in that situation. AND his career avg, obp, and ops are all very similar to torii's. and personally, i think he has better potential for sb's. arizona's a young aggressive rising team. i like his lineup around him.

if torii goes to texas i think his value takes a hit unless they sign another hitter or two. they wouldnt have any protection behind him (asusming they hit m young 3rd and torii 4th).

both players are very similar, i just have a preference for byrnes i guess.
Image

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16051
(Past Year: 65)
Joined: 1 Nov 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Eternal Bliss

Re: Hunter vs Byrnes: who's the more valuable OF?

Postby Yoda » Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:43 am

Snakes Gould wrote:
Yoda wrote:Byrnes has been this year but he couldn't carry Hunter's jock in terms of career.


thats pretty silly. byrnes has been moved around so much and you can throw 2005 out the door. he was traded twice within 2 weeks. no one would be comfortable in that situation. AND his career avg, obp, and ops are all very similar to torii's. and personally, i think he has better potential for sb's. arizona's a young aggressive rising team. i like his lineup around him.

if torii goes to texas i think his value takes a hit unless they sign another hitter or two. they wouldnt have any protection behind him (asusming they hit m young 3rd and torii 4th).

both players are very similar, i just have a preference for byrnes i guess.


Byrnes has had about 3 good years in MLB. How many has Hunter had? More than 3.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: footballisbetter.com, germani40, Johnesmype, neoforce, Saltydog and 6 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Thursday, Apr. 17
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Atlanta at Philadelphia
(1:05 pm)
Cleveland at Detroit
(1:08 pm)
Toronto at Minnesota
(1:10 pm)
Seattle at Texas
(2:05 pm)
LA Dodgers at San Francisco
(3:45 pm)
Colorado at San Diego
(6:40 pm)
Milwaukee at Pittsburgh
(7:05 pm)
St. Louis at Washington
(7:05 pm)
NY Yankees at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Boston at Chi White Sox
(8:10 pm)
Kansas City at Houston
(8:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact