Injury = Veto? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Injury = Veto?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Injury = Veto?

Postby Trojan Pony » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:59 pm

I know this has been discussed before but I couldn't find a good thread on it. I need to settle a debate between myself and other people in my league. If a player is injured after the trade is accepted but before it is processed should the response be "That sucks but it's part of the game, still gotta pass it" or "The injury changes the whole trade and it's only fair to veto it". What do you guys think? I'm hoping for a consensus so I can resolve this issue... Thanks.
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Injury = Veto?

Postby pokerplaya » Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:54 pm

Without a doubt, it's "Tough break, but you have to pass it.."
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby DevilDriver » Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:43 am

pokerplaya wrote:Without a doubt, it's "Tough break, but you have to pass it.."

;-D
DevilDriver
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Snakes Gould » Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:24 am

even if the injury occurs before the guy accepts it, its on them. you need to do some research before you click accept. and if the trade was already passed through and the day after the guy had him the player got hurt, you wouldnt think about vetoing it back would you?

im the commish in my baseball league and i generally allow most trades through immediately so there is no period. i also dont like letting proposed trades sit for more than a day or two because the other guy could easily just click accept if one of my players were to get hurt.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Bloody Sox » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:22 am

I'm in 100% agreement that evaluations should be made based on the deal at the time it was accepted. Those two owners made a decision based on info at that time - that's what matters.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby Trojan Pony » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:12 pm

Does it change anything, in your eyes, if it's a keeper league and the trade involves a stud keeper and a non-keeper-eligible player? For example, let's say the trade is Alex Rios for Jake Peavy and Peavy gets injured the day after the trade is accepted and he's out for the rest of the season. Then you would have one team getting Alex Rios for 3 years and another team SOL. Still gotta pass it?
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Bloody Sox » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:07 pm

Trojan Pony wrote:Does it change anything, in your eyes, if it's a keeper league and the trade involves a stud keeper and a non-keeper-eligible player? For example, let's say the trade is Alex Rios for Jake Peavy and Peavy gets injured the day after the trade is accepted and he's out for the rest of the season. Then you would have one team getting Alex Rios for 3 years and another team SOL. Still gotta pass it?

Yes - its all a matter of timing. When the deal is agreed upon, it is locked in. The evaluation period should not consider what happens after the deal is agreed upon - it is meant to evaluate the deal as the managers agreed upon. How is it any different than Peavy getting hurt the day after the veto period? Should you be able to retroactively veto? Of course not.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:56 pm

If the other owner knows of the injury and still is fine with the deal, that's cool. Really, the only issue that I have is if someone tries to quickly trade a player that just got injured before the other owner knows about it.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby mfisher17 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:40 am

Not to long ago I traded for Alfonso Soriano to make a push in my league. One hour later he came up lame trying to beat out a ground ball. I was shocked to say the least, but I never once thought about asking the league to veto the deal.
-Mattias-
mfisher17
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 3)

Postby letsgomets07 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:59 am

I agree, if the injury happened after the trade took place, tough luck - it has to go through.

A few weeks back I traded Ryan Dempster for Jim Thome, Thome was pulled from the game for back spasms literally 20 minutes after I clicked 'accept'. I sucked it up and didn't complain, and turns out he was okay.
letsgomets07
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner