Trade opinion.....Riot in the league, need help!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Trade opinion.....Riot in the league, need help!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Trade opinion.....Riot in the league, need help!!

Postby Santana's Squad » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:10 am

Two teams traded Melky Cabrara for Mark Buerhle.........two other teams are complaining about it. Is this even vetoable??
Santana's Squad
Little League Legend
Little League Legend


Posts: 17
Joined: 10 Aug 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Trade opinion.....Riot in the league, need help!!

Postby talan37 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:58 pm

its pretty awful, melky is borderline WW in most leagues, and buerhle is a pretty productive pitcher. That being said, without further information I don't know if I would definitely veto it or not.(League size, keeper/redraft etc) Unless pitchers are really valuable though because its very deep I would probably let it slide as I doubt it would make or break the league. Based on contributed value so far though buehrle is FAR more valuable than melky. If pitchers are hard to come by though this is probably close to vetoable based on value and expected productions, as imo melky is barely rosterable in a fairly standard 12 team league, while buerhle is a pretty solid pitcher. Note* Buerhle is about the 22nd most productive SP(making him a #2 high #3 starter in 12 team), while melky is about 50th most productive OF, making him a #5 outfielder on an average team. I would also consider it far more likely buehrle will continue to play well. I would be extremely curious about the rationale and situation involved with the trade and would probably base my opinion on that.
Check out my blog at http://www.rotopulse.com for fantasy baseball analysis, injury reports, commissioner info and more. For laughs check out http://www.sportshysterics.com
talan37
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar
Trivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 316
Joined: 13 Apr 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Trade opinion.....Riot in the league, need help!!

Postby Santana's Squad » Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:09 pm

Your the first person to say you didnt like it. Thanks for your input
Santana's Squad
Little League Legend
Little League Legend


Posts: 17
Joined: 10 Aug 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Trade opinion.....Riot in the league, need help!!

Postby talan37 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:12 pm

I just don't see the point... unless your in a super deep league you should be able to get a guy like melky off the WW, while buerhle is a very solid pitcher not replaceable by WW.
Check out my blog at http://www.rotopulse.com for fantasy baseball analysis, injury reports, commissioner info and more. For laughs check out http://www.sportshysterics.com
talan37
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar
Trivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 316
Joined: 13 Apr 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Trade opinion.....Riot in the league, need help!!

Postby Santana's Squad » Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:16 pm

talan37 wrote:I just don't see the point... unless your in a super deep league you should be able to get a guy like melky off the WW, while buerhle is a very solid pitcher not replaceable by WW.



Well Melky was not on the waiver wire and has been picked up at a rapid pace the last week or two in Yahoo leagues due to the fact that he's hitting .368 since the all star break. Considering that Torre said he will be starting in centerfield the rest of the season.....I don't see the big deal. Neither do the any of these other people who think its not bad at all.

viewtopic.php?t=312453
Santana's Squad
Little League Legend
Little League Legend


Posts: 17
Joined: 10 Aug 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Trade opinion.....Riot in the league, need help!!

Postby talan37 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:32 pm

Like I said I would probably let it slide, but unless your really shallow on pitchers imo the guy giving up buerhle is getting robbed. Lots of guys have 1 month hot streaks, but that doesn't suddenly make them fair trade value for a solid pitcher who's been good all season. Another issue is that as soon as melky cools down back to regular melky he will probably lose his fulltime role. Its certainly not a trade I would "riot" about or get up in arms about, but i think its pretty awfully unfair, and unless the one guy desperately needed OF and hitting help and had an absolute glut of pitching, its borderline imo. If I was commish and most of the league seemed to think it was fine then I would let it go, but if enough owners didn't like it, and there wasn't some noticeable need then I might re-consider.
Check out my blog at http://www.rotopulse.com for fantasy baseball analysis, injury reports, commissioner info and more. For laughs check out http://www.sportshysterics.com
talan37
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar
Trivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 316
Joined: 13 Apr 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Trade opinion.....Riot in the league, need help!!

Postby Santana's Squad » Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:40 pm

talan37 wrote:Like I said I would probably let it slide, but unless your really shallow on pitchers imo the guy giving up buerhle is getting robbed. Lots of guys have 1 month hot streaks, but that doesn't suddenly make them fair trade value for a solid pitcher who's been good all season. Another issue is that as soon as melky cools down back to regular melky he will probably lose his fulltime role. Its certainly not a trade I would "riot" about or get up in arms about, but i think its pretty awfully unfair, and unless the one guy desperately needed OF and hitting help and had an absolute glut of pitching, its borderline imo. If I was commish and most of the league seemed to think it was fine then I would let it go, but if enough owners didn't like it, and there wasn't some noticeable need then I might re-consider.


In this case, the guy who wanted Melky had Soriano go down and wanted another outfielder. Buerhle IMO is a decent pitcher, not great. His ERA and WHIP this year is about the only thing going for him. He barely strikes anyone out and has less than ten wins. I say when you have two managers with a need of something, and the trade isn't blatantly unfair, than it has to go through. In this case, only a small minority feel the deal is "pretty awful" so I'm glad this deal has gone through. The original question I asked was is this trade vetoable, not who gets the better of the deal. Thanks for your opinion.
Santana's Squad
Little League Legend
Little League Legend


Posts: 17
Joined: 10 Aug 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Trade opinion.....Riot in the league, need help!!

Postby talan37 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:49 pm

Thats why I said originally I would need to know some further details... if he needed someone because soriano went down, that would probably be reason enough. I understand at times it can be tricky to make trades, and it can be often hard to get fair value for a player, which is why I think when there is an actual need you can expand a bit on whats fair and whats not. Because if noone will give him anything for buehrle and he can't get a replacement OF hes screwed.

While he only has 9 wins, his ratios are very good, and while his strikeouts are mediocre(90), his good era and whip more than make up for it, making him much better than "average".
Check out my blog at http://www.rotopulse.com for fantasy baseball analysis, injury reports, commissioner info and more. For laughs check out http://www.sportshysterics.com
talan37
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar
Trivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 316
Joined: 13 Apr 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Trade opinion.....Riot in the league, need help!!

Postby Santana's Squad » Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:55 pm

talan37 wrote:Thats why I said originally I would need to know some further details... if he needed someone because soriano went down, that would probably be reason enough. I understand at times it can be tricky to make trades, and it can be often hard to get fair value for a player, which is why I think when there is an actual need you can expand a bit on whats fair and whats not. Because if noone will give him anything for buehrle and he can't get a replacement OF hes screwed.

While he only has 9 wins, his ratios are very good, and while his strikeouts are mediocre(90), his good era and whip more than make up for it, making him much better than "average".


You gotta be a White Soxs fan. :-D
Santana's Squad
Little League Legend
Little League Legend


Posts: 17
Joined: 10 Aug 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Trade opinion.....Riot in the league, need help!!

Postby talan37 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:08 pm

Nah... But I can look at the numbers, and based on contribution this season hes the #25 SP in a 5x5, and I would much rather have him on my team than melky.
Check out my blog at http://www.rotopulse.com for fantasy baseball analysis, injury reports, commissioner info and more. For laughs check out http://www.sportshysterics.com
talan37
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar
Trivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 316
Joined: 13 Apr 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact