Jeremy Accardo - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jeremy Accardo

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jeremy Accardo

Postby Havok1517 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:54 pm

I was curious as to what people think about Jeremy Accardo? He been very good this year and some people have called him the next Joe Nathan. Now, I'm not sure if that is just because he was traded form the Giants and has succeeded as a closer in the AL because he's clearly not as dominate but still good. So, what do people think about Accardo in the future? BJ Ryan looks to come back for next year which would likely make Accardo a closer. The problem is, could he be traded to close? Will Ryan take more time to recover to pitch, if he can pitch again? Is Accardo a keeper?
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 123)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Jeremy Accardo

Postby bdrotoronto » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:21 pm

If BJ Ryan comes back and can pitch effectively then he will be the closer, end of story. He has a huge contract, and is also flat-out better than Accardo when healthy. I would not really put Accardo in Nathan's league either.

If Ryan returns well, I could see Accardo being the set-up guy going forward at that point. League doesn't look like a guy the Jays can depend on, and Janssen still projects as a guy who should be in the rotation in future years. I don't really see any reason at all for the Jays to trade Accardo, he is one of only three guys in the bullpen right now they trust; and he is also the return the Jays got for Hillenbrand, so you can bet JP likes that too.
You've got a diamond, You've got nine men
You've got a hat and a bat, And that's not all..
bdrotoronto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:30 pm

If Ryan returns and is anywhere near as good as we've seen, he's the closer. Accardo will continue to be a great setup man if that's the case, but that's about it.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby sportsguy138 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:24 am

The Jays will have Accardo for a while. He won't be going on free agency and we should sign for a few years. The Jays won't trade this guy, he's too solid of a back up for BJ and a great set-up man. Ryan will come back and be the closer of this team, even though Accardo has been fairly solid over the time that he's pitched. I definitely wouldn't call him a Joe Nathan, but the kid can pitch and he can be a closer. He's looked shaky at times, but still has great stuff. He should be the set-up man for this team after Ryan gets back in full force for next year. It's going to be interesting to see how much time BJ's going to need to get back healthy though. There's no way the Jays will be rushing him back in the 'pen, so who knows how long he'll be gone for. First month of the season, two months, half the season? No one really knows, but I sure hope he doesn't turn out into a Gagne type with the injuries. If that's the case, Accardo can be more valuable than you think.
sportsguy138
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 405)

Postby mweir145 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:47 am

Accardo definitely has "closer stuff," but I'm still not sure he has the "closer mentality" yet. He seemingly gets nervous in big moments occasionally, but for the most part, he's a very good reliever. When he throws strikes (he does have slight control problems), Jeremy is extremely tough to beat. I expect him to be a successful closer for this team for the rest of this year, as well as next year. There's no way they can rely on BJ Ryan for much of anything, atleast in the 1st half.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby os_gamejunkie » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:50 am

He actually saved two of my leagues in which I had Ray and Fuentes. I'd say the Blue Jays will move him at the peak of stock like KC did with Dotel.
os_gamejunkie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby sportsguy138 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:15 pm

os_gamejunkie wrote:He actually saved two of my leagues in which I had Ray and Fuentes. I'd say the Blue Jays will move him at the peak of stock like KC did with Dotel.

Why would we do that? Still a strong set-up man when BJ comes back, good insurance and it's not like he's going to be a free agent any time soon. No way the Jays do that.
sportsguy138
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 405)

Postby Havok1517 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:08 am

sportsguy138 wrote:
os_gamejunkie wrote:He actually saved two of my leagues in which I had Ray and Fuentes. I'd say the Blue Jays will move him at the peak of stock like KC did with Dotel.

Why would we do that? Still a strong set-up man when BJ comes back, good insurance and it's not like he's going to be a free agent any time soon. No way the Jays do that.

If the right deal came along where they would improve their team they'd deal him (a good young SS for example). So, yes there is a "way" that that would happen.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 123)

Return to Baseball Leftovers