Minor League Keeper Question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Minor League Keeper Question

Postby OctaShields » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:04 pm

I need to drop one of the following players from my minor league roster:

Donald Veal
Franklin Morales
Kevin Slowey

I can keep 8 minor leaguers through the offseason. I need to drop one of these three to make room for Chris Iannetta (who I get to keep for free in the offseason since he lost his rookie eligibility - he fits in under the "Farm Keepers" rule that allows me to keep him for 2 seasons without counting against my minor league roster or major league keepers. I feel that he'll be worth something next year as an average catcher in a deep league so I don't want to drop him, but I can't afford to keep him on my major league roster right now as I'm currently in 2nd. Therefore, I need to drop one of the 8 guys currently on my minors roster to make room. Here are the 5 guys I'm not mentioning, because I plan to keep them:

Evan Longoria
Andrew McCutchen
Matt Antonelli
Carlos Triunfel
Tommy Hanson

The 3 I'm considering dropping are all starting pitchers who are struggling this year and have lost value from where I drafted them pre-season.

Slowey has been lights-out in AAA, but wasn't good for the Twins and with Santana, Liriano, Garza, Bonser, Baker and possibly Silva coming back next year, as well as a stocked pitching staff in the low minors, Slowey isn't guarenteed for next year either. His ceiling is also probably only as a #3 or 4, which doesn't impress in fantasy.

Morales has been shaky, but has been pitching well lately and will probably get his big league opportunity the soonest of the three. However, he will pitch for Colorado, which is never a good thing, humidor or not. He hasn't been striking as many people out this year and his walk rates are still high. Can you survive as an SP in Colorado if you average almost 4.5 BB/9 IP? Luckily, he doesn't get hit hard (.225 BAA this year), but the K rate that made him so attractive last year has slipped a good deal (06: 179 K/154 IP.....07: 84 K/101.2 IP). Because he's been pitching in a tough environment and because he still has great stuff, I'm a little reluctant to just part ways with him, but at the same time, if he's not going to be become a useful fantasy pitcher in his first 3 seasons, he has no use.

Veal has been having the worst season of the three by far. A 5.23 ERA in AA should tell the story, but there are other things to consider. A terrible April hurt his numbers pretty badly, but April notwithstanding he'd still have a pretty unimpressive 4.30 ERA. While he is still getting about 1K/IP, his walk rate - which was already frightening at over 4.5/9 IP - has gotten even worse and sits at 5.4/9. He still has good stuff and hasn't lost all of his ace potential, but there are just more question marks with him than I'm comfortable with.

Keep in mind, again, that we can keep "farm keepers" for free for 2 seasons after the season in which they burn their rookie eligibility. That means that I'll have Iannetta in 08 and 09 (hopefully Hurdle doesn't continue to ruin him). Of the three guys I'm considering dropping, Morales has the best projection as a #2, the best opportunity for 08, but the worst situation (pitching in Colo). Veal still has #2 potential, but also has the best probability of never figuring it out. Slowey has a lower ceiling and questionable opportunity for 08, but also the lowest risk for being a complete flop. Sorry this was so long, but I'll help anyone in return.
OctaShields
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Minor League Keeper Question

Postby OctaShields » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:20 pm

bump.....keep in mind your answer doesn't have to be as long as my question?
OctaShields
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby J35J » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:46 am

OctaShields wrote:I need to drop one of the following players from my minor league roster:

Donald Veal
Franklin Morales
Kevin Slowey

I'd drop Veal
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby raiders_umpire » Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:45 pm

OctaShields wrote:bump.....keep in mind your answer doesn't have to be as long as my question?

:-D

I would drop Veal. Morales is just too talented, and the Twins always seem to make pitchers useful somehow.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Minor League & College Baseball