Ryan Braun hype control - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ryan Braun hype control

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Ryan Braun hype control

Postby Yoda » Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:40 pm

I remember preseason how hyped up Gordon was. People were predicting .300 30/15 type season from him. Now we have Braun who is tearing the cover off the ball. There is a lot of hype for Braun for sure. However, if he finishes the season strong, then it will be very difficult to not take him top 25-30. He will be worth it.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby masterpinky0509 » Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:06 pm

Considering he has roughly an 80% contact rate in the minors, and a similar one this year, I'd say that we should temper our expectations on him. His K:BB ratio is about 3:1, which is just not good. And his power is not otherworldly, despite what his stats say today.

I'm going to guess that next year he'll have an average around .290, with about 25 homers (yes, the entire year), 90 RBI and 100 R w/ about 20-25 SB. In fact, the SB will be where most of his value comes from. Now that being said, those kind of stats are definitely good enough to consider in the 3rd-4th rounds of most drafts, when coupled with his upside for significantly more stats.

We do have to temper the hype on him, however. He's not the 2nd coming of Albert Pujols, who had light-tower power combined with ludicrous plate discipline/coverage. That being said, he could very well be the 2nd coming of David Wright, since his tools are very similar. One should note that Wright looks more like a 25 homer guy right now than a guy who'll put up 35 year after year.
masterpinky0509
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Whisp » Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:33 pm

common strategy is to tell everyone to curb their enthusiasm toward braun, and then
quicklysnatchhimup with the #5 overall pick next year. laughing at the first four teams!
C-MMontero/Iannetta 1B-Hosmer 2B-Kendrick 3B-MiCabrera/Rolen SS-Rollins
CI-IDavis MI-RRoberts OF-Bruce/Crisp/Hunter/Cain/Rios
SP-Sabathia/ClLee/Wainwright/Pineda/Hellickson/JSantana
RP-Putz/Santiago/Rodney/Lidge/Clippard
Whisp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RynoDyno » Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:30 pm

:-° He sure is making it tough to control the hype...

"Riiide the snake"
DaSh 1s wrote:PS how do u not want to cup the best player in baseball's sack?

ewwww
RynoDyno
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Scooter1027 » Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:53 pm

RynoDyno wrote::-° He sure is making it tough to control the hype...

"Riiide the snake"

What a freakin' clutch HR tonight off Lidge with 2 strikes and 2 outs. It will be a joy to watch this young man's career unfold.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Ender » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:36 pm

I said it before he even came up but Braun is the best hitting prospect to be called up this season. His AVG will dip down as thats partially luck driven but it will not surprise me if he's the best hitter in that lineup next season and thats with Fielder being a top 5 hitter in the NL already.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby rmande09 » Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:04 am

masterpinky0509 wrote:Considering he has roughly an 80% contact rate in the minors, and a similar one this year, I'd say that we should temper our expectations on him. His K:BB ratio is about 3:1, which is just not good. And his power is not otherworldly, despite what his stats say today.

I'm going to guess that next year he'll have an average around .290, with about 25 homers (yes, the entire year), 90 RBI and 100 R w/ about 20-25 SB. In fact, the SB will be where most of his value comes from. Now that being said, those kind of stats are definitely good enough to consider in the 3rd-4th rounds of most drafts, when coupled with his upside for significantly more stats.

We do have to temper the hype on him, however. He's not the 2nd coming of Albert Pujols, who had light-tower power combined with ludicrous plate discipline/coverage. That being said, he could very well be the 2nd coming of David Wright, since his tools are very similar. One should note that Wright looks more like a 25 homer guy right now than a guy who'll put up 35 year after year.

The one thing I'd like to point out is your comment on his power; it is close to otherworldly. I'd say if you ranked the top five RH by power, he would be in there. He's ridiculously strong as is, but his bat speed is INSANE. Pujols, ARod, MigCab ... those are the four guys I would say have better power than Braun from the right side. MAYBE Sheffield. But Braun has a ridiculous, ridiculous amount of power. I'm not sure what makes you say he doesn't have ludicrous power, but that is simply untrue.
C: Pierzynski
1B: Pujols
2B: Altuve
3B: Miggy
SS: HanRam
OF (x3): CarGo, M. Bourn, D. Jennings
UTIL (x2): E. Encarnacion, C. Hart
BN: Cuddyer, C. Ross, J. Montero

SP: Price, Gallardo, T. Hudson, Lester
RP: Chapman, Jansen, Rodney, Putz, Cishek, Bailey
rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Snakes Gould » Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:05 am

does anyone just snicker to themselves whenever they see the milwaukee box scores and/or stat tracker every night. i cant help but chuckle at how great he is.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby GHirsch516 » Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:44 am

Gordon, Butler, Pence.. Braun is the real deal.. I would take him as a 3rd or 4th round pick..
GHirsch516
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Whisp » Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:06 am

"did you see braun's stats today?" has become a daily question i ask the 2nd place team
C-MMontero/Iannetta 1B-Hosmer 2B-Kendrick 3B-MiCabrera/Rolen SS-Rollins
CI-IDavis MI-RRoberts OF-Bruce/Crisp/Hunter/Cain/Rios
SP-Sabathia/ClLee/Wainwright/Pineda/Hellickson/JSantana
RP-Putz/Santiago/Rodney/Lidge/Clippard
Whisp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers