100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Joba up

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Joba up

Postby DevilDriver » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:27 am

tmacdaman1 wrote:
DevilDriver wrote:
tmacdaman1 wrote:he went through A ball, AA, and AAA in less than 4 months and dominated more and more at leach level as a starter

actually he dominated A ball more than AA, and he only made one start at AAA

But that one AAA start consisted of 10 Ks in 5 innings. Then he was forced to bring his dominance out of the pen where he struck out 8 guys in 3 innings. His AA numbers were better than his numbers in Tampa up until his last start in AA where he gave up something like 5 runs. But regardless, we both agree that for all intensive purposes, he has dominated each level of the minors as a starting pitcher.

Yes, he dominated each level of the minors, and that's all that matters. I was just nitpicking. :*)
DevilDriver
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mkultra » Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:20 pm

BillyHallDisciple wrote:Can I bank on this guy to be a starting pitcher at the start of the '08 season? Has anyone heard further clarification on his role for next year?

Let's look at this empirically. Of the current rotation, Clemens and Pettitte are not signed into '08. Pavano will definitely not start the season, if play at all. That leaves Wang, Mussina, and Hughes, all of whom I expect to be in the rotation on opening day. Unless Cashman signs a back-of-rotation guy, I can easily see Joba as their #4.

I'm not sure when Wang is up for his big-money contract, but if it's not in '08 then the Yanks have a great young staff at a bargain price, and plenty of cash to go after Johan. Can you imagine Santana/Wang/Hughes/Chamberlain?
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:23 pm

Indeed, that rotation would be ridiculous. Sounds like something Steinbrenner would certainly be in favor of...
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mak1277 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:38 pm

Five pages and nobody mentions Papelbon? C'mon...it's such an easy parallel. I agree that Joba will probably go back to starting next year, but I think it's pretty naive to think that it's not possible for him to be returned to the pen, a la Papelbon.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby raygunpunx » Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:54 pm

mak1277 wrote:Five pages and nobody mentions Papelbon? C'mon...it's such an easy parallel. I agree that Joba will probably go back to starting next year, but I think it's pretty naive to think that it's not possible for him to be returned to the pen, a la Papelbon.

The 1 difference is the Sox had a gapping hole at closer and the Yanks do not
raygunpunx
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ajgdrums7814 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:51 pm

Last edited by ajgdrums7814 on Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ajgdrums7814
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby tmacdaman1 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:52 am

mak1277 wrote:Five pages and nobody mentions Papelbon? C'mon...it's such an easy parallel. I agree that Joba will probably go back to starting next year, but I think it's pretty naive to think that it's not possible for him to be returned to the pen, a la Papelbon.

Well Papelbon was a reliever before the Sox turned him into a starter in the minors, and he never had a 3rd or 4th pitch such as Joba, so it just made sense for Papelbon to stay in the pen then try to completely redevelop him as a starter...Joba doesn't need that redevelopment.
tmacdaman1
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers