100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Joba up

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Joba up

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:32 pm

tmacdaman1 wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:
Richie Rich wrote:he will be a starter next year...
(below is what i posted in injuries & player updates thread on Joba):
"just figured i would let you guys know...my dad told me that they are being very careful with him...if he pitches one inning, he has one day off, 2 innings, 2 days off, etc...and our local paper also said he will never pitch back-to-back days"

Is that the same paper that said that Rivera would never pitch more than 1 inning??

Let's not compare a 12 year veteran to a rookie who the Yankees are trying to protect. Cashman has said publicly what the "Joba rules" consist of. He will not be used in the middle of an inning, only to start one. He will not be used on back to back days. For 1 inning pitched, he will rest 1 day. For 2 innings pitched, he will rest 2 days. Could that change in 3 weeks in a highly important mid-September game? Wouldn't shock me. But for now, the Yanks ARE following those rules.

Please don't reach for arguments. I was merely commenting on the fact that the Yankees publicly stated that Rivera would only be used for 1 inning this season. That changed quickly. As for Chamberlain, they said that he would start an inning and would never pitch B2B days. I am just saying that we shall see. Cashman even stated in the past few days that they would reevaluate that in the near future. Are you telling me that when they play Boston, they won't pitch him 2 days in a row if they need him??
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tmacdaman1 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:04 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
tmacdaman1 wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:
Is that the same paper that said that Rivera would never pitch more than 1 inning??

Let's not compare a 12 year veteran to a rookie who the Yankees are trying to protect. Cashman has said publicly what the "Joba rules" consist of. He will not be used in the middle of an inning, only to start one. He will not be used on back to back days. For 1 inning pitched, he will rest 1 day. For 2 innings pitched, he will rest 2 days. Could that change in 3 weeks in a highly important mid-September game? Wouldn't shock me. But for now, the Yanks ARE following those rules.

Please don't reach for arguments. I was merely commenting on the fact that the Yankees publicly stated that Rivera would only be used for 1 inning this season. That changed quickly. As for Chamberlain, they said that he would start an inning and would never pitch B2B days. I am just saying that we shall see. Cashman even stated in the past few days that they would reevaluate that in the near future. Are you telling me that when they play Boston, they won't pitch him 2 days in a row if they need him??

Where did I reach for arguments? I just said that the situation with a player who has been a closer for 11 years can't really be compared to a rookie who was just turned into a reliever and whos arm the organization is going to protect at all costs, I think that's reasonable.

And I agreed with you that when they play Boston that will change. Hence:
Could that change in 3 weeks in a highly important mid-September game? Wouldn't shock me. But for now, the Yanks ARE following those rules

Even on the radio today on WFAN, Cashman reiterated that there are in fact "rules" for Joba but it is up to him to change those rules in more important games down the stretch. So I wasn't reaching for arguments, I wasn't even arguing at all IMO.
tmacdaman1
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:48 pm

Can I bank on this guy to be a starting pitcher at the start of the '08 season? Has anyone heard further clarification on his role for next year?
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Postby raygunpunx » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:08 pm

BillyHallDisciple wrote:Can I bank on this guy to be a starting pitcher at the start of the '08 season? Has anyone heard further clarification on his role for next year?

He will be a starter for sure
raygunpunx
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:25 pm

raygunpunx wrote:
BillyHallDisciple wrote:Can I bank on this guy to be a starting pitcher at the start of the '08 season? Has anyone heard further clarification on his role for next year?

He will be a starter for sure

I tend to agree but I don't know how we can be so sure. I am also not convinced that his '08 role will be the same as in future years.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby tmacdaman1 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:51 pm

The only way he will turn into a reliever is if he is a failed starter for 2-3 years. And the chances of him being a failed starter are low, he went through A ball, AA, and AAA in less than 4 months and dominated more and more at leach level as a starter. He is a top 5 starting pitching prospect in baseball. It isn't as tohugh he rose through the minors as a reliever and the Yankees want to test him as a starter.

He'll be a starter, next year and beyond.
tmacdaman1
College Coach
College Coach

Postby DevilDriver » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:14 pm

tmacdaman1 wrote:he went through A ball, AA, and AAA in less than 4 months and dominated more and more at leach level as a starter

actually he dominated A ball more than AA, and he only made one start at AAA
DevilDriver
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:16 am

tmacdaman1 wrote:The only way he will turn into a reliever is if he is a failed starter for 2-3 years. And the chances of him being a failed starter are low, he went through A ball, AA, and AAA in less than 4 months and dominated more and more at leach level as a starter. He is a top 5 starting pitching prospect in baseball. It isn't as tohugh he rose through the minors as a reliever and the Yankees want to test him as a starter.

He'll be a starter, next year and beyond.

Stick?? Is that you??
Lofunzo

Postby tmacdaman1 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:36 am

DevilDriver wrote:
tmacdaman1 wrote:he went through A ball, AA, and AAA in less than 4 months and dominated more and more at leach level as a starter

actually he dominated A ball more than AA, and he only made one start at AAA

But that one AAA start consisted of 10 Ks in 5 innings. Then he was forced to bring his dominance out of the pen where he struck out 8 guys in 3 innings. His AA numbers were better than his numbers in Tampa up until his last start in AA where he gave up something like 5 runs. But regardless, we both agree that for all intensive purposes, he has dominated each level of the minors as a starting pitcher.
tmacdaman1
College Coach
College Coach

Re: Joba

Postby blankman » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:54 am

I don't think there's a chance he doesn't go back to starting. The Yankees would be foolish to waste his talent.

The only conceivable way is if he gets seriously injured.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers