Joba up - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Joba up

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Joba up

Postby xeifrank » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:43 pm

Now that Joba Chamberlin is on the Yanks 25 man roster. Can someone tell us a little about him and if he is worthy of a roster spot in a mixed keeper league, and if so would he be worth any more than the likes of Justin Upton, Tim Lincecum etc..., which rookie would he be on even par with in a keeper league?
vr, Xei
Author of: 2013 Mock Draft Software
Author of: Dodger Sims
Author of: The Sober Angels
Author of: Xei On Sports
xeifrank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Joba up

Postby nettles3Ball-star » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:47 pm

I can tell you this, it's said that his stuff is better than Hughes. Hughes may have more command, poise and presence, but Joba has ace stuff. He fell in the draft due to injury concerns, a lack of experience as a SP and weight concerns.

How he compares to Lincecum I don't know. Time will tell. But, he is highly ranked on a lot of mid-season prospect lists.
nettles3Ball-star
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 5)

Postby pokerplaya » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:54 pm

Obviously only time will tell for sure, but I'd definitely rather have Upton or Lincecum in a keeper league. I just see them as having a higher ceiling, and when you are dealing with very inexperienced prospects, ceiling is really the only thing you have to go on.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:04 am

Depending on how many keepers you have and who else is on your team, he very well may be worthy of a roster spot, but it all depends. He has filthy stuff.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby theclefe » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:27 am

I think your taking a risk keeping this guy. Not because he isn't a good pitcher, but because he doesn't have a role. There is a good chance he could go the Joel Zumaya, Jonathan Broxton route and be a solid bullpen guy for a few years before he takes up the closer spot. You have to ask yourself if can potentially hang onto a weak fantasy producer for 2-3 years to be assured a top closer. Of course, that is the worst case scenario. He may start next season or they may not sign Mariano, then you have yourself a nice young prospect.
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby tmacdaman1 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:30 am

Joba is NOT going to be a reliever in the future, this is just to limit his innings this year and help the Yankees pen down the stretch. Next season he'll be in the starting rotation. I don't know about him being a keeper (there are probably better options) but by the end of next season, he may be worthy of it. Anybody throwing 97+ mph (touching 99 and 100) with a slider that is ALREADY one of the best in baseball, to go along with a very good curve and a developing change is set for a ton of success as long as he stays healthy. And while health is his only concern, he has lost a considerable amount of weight since he was drafted and those concerns get less and less by the day.
tmacdaman1
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Defiant » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:14 pm

I think Joba is a better option than Lincecum because the Giants offense is so miserable and I don't think they have anybody in their farm system to help there or replace their 40 somethings all over the diamond. Joba is built like a horse so he's less of an injury risk, in a WAY better offense, and also has ace stuff. Right now, you can take Lincecum but Joba will be better in the long run if the Yankees don't commit a gross misuse of talent by leaving Joba in the bullpen until he can close.

I have the rights to Joba in my keeper league and I think he should be a safe bet for the rotation in '08 because Broxton was always a reliever in the minors, Rivera only became a reliever because he was a terrible starter, Neshek was forced to become a submarine pitcher so he's better off relieving, and the best closer this season, JJ Putz, was an average prospect and once a 26 year old still in AAA. I just don't see how the Yankees could possibly waste Chamberlain as a setup man when he has dominated the minor leagues as a starter and can take Clemens' spot in the rotation next year.
Defiant
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby hot4tx » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:33 pm

Joba is NOT going to be a reliever in the future

Don't be so sure. I've read several things over the course of the year talking about him being a possible September call up as a RP, and that could be his position. Basically that the Yanks aren't sure where he'll fit in best, but they need both SP and RP.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Postby tmacdaman1 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:55 pm

hot4tx wrote:
Joba is NOT going to be a reliever in the future

Don't be so sure. I've read several things over the course of the year talking about him being a possible September call up as a RP, and that could be his position. Basically that the Yanks aren't sure where he'll fit in best, but they need both SP and RP.

Every indication from Cashman and Nardi Contreras (the Yankees' minor league pitching coordinator who basically tells Cashman what is going on with these prospects) has been that this is a move to help the big league club short term and the perfect way to limit his innings this season. They both realize that Joba for 200 innings is better than Joba for 70 innings a season, and an ace caliber pitcher is more valueable than a good closer. They aren't going to screw with a future of Hughes-Chamberlain-Wang-Kennedy.
tmacdaman1
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jnormy » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:01 am

OK, he's been up for two days. The big question is... when is Yahoo gonna add him? :-?
jnormy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers