Better 3B for 08

Ryan Braun
31%
David Wright
69%

Total votes : 127

Re: Braun vs Wright

Postby Yoda » Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:08 am

MCab > Wright. MCab is reaching near Pujols status. Wright is right there too but MCab will always be the better hitter.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:31 pm

Yoda wrote:MCab > Wright. MCab is reaching near Pujols status. Wright is right there too but MCab will always be the better hitter.

I think it's fairly close if Wright can prove to be a 30/30 threat year in and year out, but M-Cab is developing as a possible 40-45 HR hitter to go with the gaudy average, as you said, Pujols-esque. I still prefer M-Cab by a good bit as well.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 452)

Postby Scooter1027 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:55 am

The Artful Dodger wrote:
Yoda wrote:MCab > Wright. MCab is reaching near Pujols status. Wright is right there too but MCab will always be the better hitter.

I think it's fairly close if Wright can prove to be a 30/30 threat year in and year out, but M-Cab is developing as a possible 40-45 HR hitter to go with the gaudy average, as you said, Pujols-esque. I still prefer M-Cab by a good bit as well.

Yeah, to me, Rodriguez and Cabrera are the clear top 2. After that it's a bit more muddied and personal preference comes into play. I have tended to like Ramirez 3rd simply because over the past couple years he's shown more pop than Wright (12 more HR last year) with comparable averages. I know he doesn't get the SB, but I tend to look elsewhere for that anyway. It also kind of depends on how my draft has been going. If I get Reyes in the 1st round, I'd prefer Ramirez to Wright later because I don't really need the speed as badly and would like the extra power that my first rounder isn't getting me. If I take a first round slugger, then Wright's probably the better pick. Of course, it's quite possible Braun could leapfrog them both with A-Ram's power and Wright's speed.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Grounded Polo » Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:10 pm

Although I am a Mets fan, I'd rather have Wright over Cabrera in a keeper league because I don't see Cabera staying at 3b long term. He's gotten worse there as a fielder this season whereas Wright improves each season. He benefits from the Marlins lack of any position prospects in their system but I don't know how long it will be before the Marlins consider moving Cabrera out of 3b for good unless he improves his defense. Wright is definitely not going anywhere at 3b and doesn't have Cabrera's weight issues. Wright's offensive numbers aren't much worse than Cabreras and although Cabrera is the better hitter, he could be putting up those numbers from somewhere less glamorous like left field.

I'd also side with Reyes over HanRam for basically the same reason since Reyes has become a perennial gold glove shortstop and switch out left field with center field although who knows, maybe both HanRam and Cabrera get alot better on defense and stick with their positions, just in a virtual tossup, I'd rather have the two guys who are locks to remain at their infield positions for the rest of their careers and not become outfielders in 2-3 seasons.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby Yoda » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:47 am

Grounded Polo wrote:Although I am a Mets fan, I'd rather have Wright over Cabrera in a keeper league because I don't see Cabera staying at 3b long term. He's gotten worse there as a fielder this season whereas Wright improves each season. He benefits from the Marlins lack of any position prospects in their system but I don't know how long it will be before the Marlins consider moving Cabrera out of 3b for good unless he improves his defense. Wright is definitely not going anywhere at 3b and doesn't have Cabrera's weight issues. Wright's offensive numbers aren't much worse than Cabreras and although Cabrera is the better hitter, he could be putting up those numbers from somewhere less glamorous like left field.

I'd also side with Reyes over HanRam for basically the same reason since Reyes has become a perennial gold glove shortstop and switch out left field with center field although who knows, maybe both HanRam and Cabrera get alot better on defense and stick with their positions, just in a virtual tossup, I'd rather have the two guys who are locks to remain at their infield positions for the rest of their careers and not become outfielders in 2-3 seasons.

biased...
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby joshheines » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:41 am

Sure it's biased, but it's no more biased than looking at HR and saying that Cabrera is better than Wright. The above poster made several good points about Wright's offensive merits and Cabrera's defensive shortcomings. As a Mets fan, I disagree about Hanley. Despite his defensive shortcomings, his offense as a SS means he will stick. He was a well regarded prospect who is exceeding his expectations and most likely going to see his numbers deflate next year. However, he is every bit the real baseball player than Jose is. I put them on par with each other. Hanley has better offensive numbers, but his defense is not yet as sharp as Reyes. In the end I think Wright + Reyes = Cabrera + Ramirez when you factor in both sides of the ball.
It's easy, fun, and 100% safe!
joshheines
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Grounded Polo » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:53 am

I think HanRam will stick at SS also, I just think that if you have two superstar shortstops, I'd take the guy with the gold glove caliber defense because you know he's not going anywhere for sure. I'd rather play it safe rather than get burned and end up with a center fielder because if they all stick, you don't lose significantly by picking any one of them over the other anyway.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:20 pm

2008 so far as of this morning:

Wright:
AVG .284
HR 20
RBI 85
Runs 74
SB 14

Braun:
AVG .300
HR 30
RBI 84
Runs 65
SB 10

too bad braun won't be 3B eligible next year so its not worth much comparing these guys anymore, but braun turned out a bit better for 08.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Yoda » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:50 pm

His AVG will definitely come down unless he greatly improves his approach and discipline but the power and speed is real. Very excited to have this kid on a keeper team. ;-D

Man whoever said this is a genius.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby The Handsome One » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:32 pm

Yoda wrote:
His AVG will definitely come down unless he greatly improves his approach and discipline but the power and speed is real. Very excited to have this kid on a keeper team. ;-D

Man whoever said this is a genius.

I am glad to have both on my keeper team. ;-D ;-D
The Handsome One
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers