Braun vs Wright - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Braun vs Wright

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Better 3B for 08

Ryan Braun
39
31%
David Wright
88
69%
 
Total votes : 127

Re: Braun vs Wright

Postby Yoda » Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:08 am

MCab > Wright. MCab is reaching near Pujols status. Wright is right there too but MCab will always be the better hitter.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Re: Braun vs Wright

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:31 pm

Yoda wrote:MCab > Wright. MCab is reaching near Pujols status. Wright is right there too but MCab will always be the better hitter.


I think it's fairly close if Wright can prove to be a 30/30 threat year in and year out, but M-Cab is developing as a possible 40-45 HR hitter to go with the gaudy average, as you said, Pujols-esque. I still prefer M-Cab by a good bit as well.
Image
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21672
(Past Year: 452)
Joined: 3 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Not nineteen forever

Re: Braun vs Wright

Postby Scooter1027 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:55 am

The Artful Dodger wrote:
Yoda wrote:MCab > Wright. MCab is reaching near Pujols status. Wright is right there too but MCab will always be the better hitter.


I think it's fairly close if Wright can prove to be a 30/30 threat year in and year out, but M-Cab is developing as a possible 40-45 HR hitter to go with the gaudy average, as you said, Pujols-esque. I still prefer M-Cab by a good bit as well.


Yeah, to me, Rodriguez and Cabrera are the clear top 2. After that it's a bit more muddied and personal preference comes into play. I have tended to like Ramirez 3rd simply because over the past couple years he's shown more pop than Wright (12 more HR last year) with comparable averages. I know he doesn't get the SB, but I tend to look elsewhere for that anyway. It also kind of depends on how my draft has been going. If I get Reyes in the 1st round, I'd prefer Ramirez to Wright later because I don't really need the speed as badly and would like the extra power that my first rounder isn't getting me. If I take a first round slugger, then Wright's probably the better pick. Of course, it's quite possible Braun could leapfrog them both with A-Ram's power and Wright's speed.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 1124
Joined: 16 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Braun vs Wright

Postby Grounded Polo » Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:10 pm

Although I am a Mets fan, I'd rather have Wright over Cabrera in a keeper league because I don't see Cabera staying at 3b long term. He's gotten worse there as a fielder this season whereas Wright improves each season. He benefits from the Marlins lack of any position prospects in their system but I don't know how long it will be before the Marlins consider moving Cabrera out of 3b for good unless he improves his defense. Wright is definitely not going anywhere at 3b and doesn't have Cabrera's weight issues. Wright's offensive numbers aren't much worse than Cabreras and although Cabrera is the better hitter, he could be putting up those numbers from somewhere less glamorous like left field.

I'd also side with Reyes over HanRam for basically the same reason since Reyes has become a perennial gold glove shortstop and switch out left field with center field although who knows, maybe both HanRam and Cabrera get alot better on defense and stick with their positions, just in a virtual tossup, I'd rather have the two guys who are locks to remain at their infield positions for the rest of their careers and not become outfielders in 2-3 seasons.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 6579
(Past Year: 78)
Joined: 11 Aug 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Braun vs Wright

Postby Yoda » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:47 am

Grounded Polo wrote:Although I am a Mets fan, I'd rather have Wright over Cabrera in a keeper league because I don't see Cabera staying at 3b long term. He's gotten worse there as a fielder this season whereas Wright improves each season. He benefits from the Marlins lack of any position prospects in their system but I don't know how long it will be before the Marlins consider moving Cabrera out of 3b for good unless he improves his defense. Wright is definitely not going anywhere at 3b and doesn't have Cabrera's weight issues. Wright's offensive numbers aren't much worse than Cabreras and although Cabrera is the better hitter, he could be putting up those numbers from somewhere less glamorous like left field.

I'd also side with Reyes over HanRam for basically the same reason since Reyes has become a perennial gold glove shortstop and switch out left field with center field although who knows, maybe both HanRam and Cabrera get alot better on defense and stick with their positions, just in a virtual tossup, I'd rather have the two guys who are locks to remain at their infield positions for the rest of their careers and not become outfielders in 2-3 seasons.


biased...
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Re: Braun vs Wright

Postby joshheines » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:41 am

Sure it's biased, but it's no more biased than looking at HR and saying that Cabrera is better than Wright. The above poster made several good points about Wright's offensive merits and Cabrera's defensive shortcomings. As a Mets fan, I disagree about Hanley. Despite his defensive shortcomings, his offense as a SS means he will stick. He was a well regarded prospect who is exceeding his expectations and most likely going to see his numbers deflate next year. However, he is every bit the real baseball player than Jose is. I put them on par with each other. Hanley has better offensive numbers, but his defense is not yet as sharp as Reyes. In the end I think Wright + Reyes = Cabrera + Ramirez when you factor in both sides of the ball.
It's easy, fun, and 100% safe!
joshheines
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 535
Joined: 29 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Braun vs Wright

Postby Grounded Polo » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:53 am

I think HanRam will stick at SS also, I just think that if you have two superstar shortstops, I'd take the guy with the gold glove caliber defense because you know he's not going anywhere for sure. I'd rather play it safe rather than get burned and end up with a center fielder because if they all stick, you don't lose significantly by picking any one of them over the other anyway.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 6579
(Past Year: 78)
Joined: 11 Aug 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Braun vs Wright

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:20 pm

2008 so far as of this morning:

Wright:
AVG .284
HR 20
RBI 85
Runs 74
SB 14

Braun:
AVG .300
HR 30
RBI 84
Runs 65
SB 10

too bad braun won't be 3B eligible next year so its not worth much comparing these guys anymore, but braun turned out a bit better for 08.
Image
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 6508
Joined: 18 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: City of Grigori

Re: Braun vs Wright

Postby Yoda » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:50 pm

His AVG will definitely come down unless he greatly improves his approach and discipline but the power and speed is real. Very excited to have this kid on a keeper team. ;-D


Man whoever said this is a genius.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Re: Braun vs Wright

Postby The Handsome One » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:32 pm

Yoda wrote:
His AVG will definitely come down unless he greatly improves his approach and discipline but the power and speed is real. Very excited to have this kid on a keeper team. ;-D


Man whoever said this is a genius.


I am glad to have both on my keeper team. ;-D ;-D
The Handsome One
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

User avatar

Posts: 57
Joined: 19 Jul 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: skjelstrom and 12 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Saturday, Apr. 19
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Chi Cubs at Chi Cubs
(1:05 pm)
Minnesota at Kansas City
(1:05 pm)
Cincinnati at Cincinnati
(1:08 pm)
Houston at Oakland
(1:35 pm)
Milwaukee at Pittsburgh
(2:10 pm)
NY Yankees at Tampa Bay
(2:20 pm)
indoors
Seattle at Miami
(4:05 pm)
indoors
NY Mets at NY Mets
(7:05 pm)
Atlanta at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
Philadelphia at Colorado
(7:10 pm)
Chi White Sox at Texas
(7:10 pm)
LA Dodgers at LA Dodgers
(8:05 pm)
Arizona at Arizona
(8:10 pm)
San Diego at San Diego
(8:10 pm)
San Francisco at San Francisco
(8:40 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact