Next year 2B after Utley. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Next year 2B after Utley.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Next year 2B after Utley.

Postby Snakes Gould » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:22 am

a few things

to call cano a .330 hitter, is a huge mistake. i think the reason everyone was so low on him is because everyone (at least me) expected him to go much higher than you'd be willing to take him because of that high average. no one though he was going to sustain it.

as for uggla, i dont see him being a 2 hitter for much longer. hitting .252 with a .320 OBP isnt going to keep you at the top of the lineup much longer. the only reason hes there, is because of the lack of better options. if he hits, lets say 6th next season, his runs go down drastically, and his rbi's should probably stay around the 80 range. i dont know what to expect him to hit avg wise, so ill most likely stay away from him and let someone else get aroused over his 30 hrs while ill take someone else.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RynMan » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:37 am

Personally, I like Upton as the #2 second baseman for 2008 (at this point). The kid can run, has big time power, tremendous upside and hits in a rapidly improving lineup. A 30/30 season isn't out of the question in the next couple of years.

I'm still not 100% sold on Phillips. His power numbers in the minors weren't all that great, so I'm a little weary about that.

Uggla is in a very tough park to hit in, and I'm expecting a .250-.270 average.

Roberts, I think is a solid number 3.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Pirates4Life » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:58 am

RynMan wrote:[code]
I'm still not 100% sold on Phillips. His power numbers in the minors weren't all that great, so I'm a little weary about that.

Well, in 2002, he had 18 HRs and 31 doubles as a 20-21 year old in about 500 ABs between AA and AAA. That's awesome. There's a reason why he was a top 5 prospect and about as can't-miss as there was at the time.

He spent most of 2003 in the majors as a 21-22 year old and wasn't really ready, and he followed that up by having a down year in 2004.

And then, in 2005, he boucned back with 15 HRs and 24 doubles, but his average suffered.

A change of scenery has definitely helped him, and he's now a building block for the Reds so you can count on him hitting in a great home ballpark for the foreseeable future. If I need a guy who's definitely going to be a 2B for the next 5+ years, Phillips is my #1 guy (other than Utley, of course). If you need a 2B for next year and it doesn't matter where he plays after that, Upton's the guy in my opinion.
Pirates4Life
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Zito is God » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:00 pm

I am still puzzled as to how people rank Phillips ahead of Roberts. Roberts will bat at least 40 points over Phillips in average, his OPS is roughly 50-75 points better, he steals more bases, his K/BB ratio is largely better than that of Phillips. I will gladly take all those points over the only advantage Phillips has which is roughly 10 more HRs...

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby CBMGreatOne » Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:59 pm

Upton is second right now, but Cano is making a hard move...

Next year, I think I'll be able to get Cano later, so I'll probably end up with him.

Phillips is nice, but I'd like to see him hit for a better average. I feel safer with Upton or Cano.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby George_Foreman » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:10 pm

No love for Kelly Johnson? The kid is a top-10 2B this year and he's been platooning for two months.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby CBMGreatOne » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:15 pm

George_Foreman wrote:No love for Kelly Johnson? The kid is a top-10 2B this year and he's been platooning for two months.

In certain formats, I could see an argument for Kelly Johnson. He has better plate discipline than anyone in the field besides Utley, with a pretty terriffic walk rate. Most roto leagues don't count walks and OBP, so that doesn't help you as much, but for those that do, he might be bumped up into the top 3.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby sgnilloccaz » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:44 pm

phillips, cano, roberts, uggla, upton (if still elibigle)
sgnilloccaz
College Coach
College Coach

Eagle Eye

Postby pokerplaya » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:58 pm

For me, Utley is on my keeper team, so I don't have to worry. ;-)

That said, Upton is my #2, followed by Phillips at 3. Uggla/Roberts would come in at 4-5.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby San D » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:43 am

If I don't get one of the top guys at a good draft slot next year, the way I see things, I'll probably punt 2B and grab someone like Theriot late. Someone said it earlier, there are a lot of serviceable and equivalent 2B out there, but only a few top ones.
San D
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers