Chipper Jones - A HOFer? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Chipper Jones - A HOFer?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Chipper Jones - A HOFer?

Postby toledomudhens » Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:54 pm

the way i see it is in the steriod era where you have clowns like sosa, mcquire, and bonds. i look at chipper jones and don't really associate him in that class of cheaters. to me he is like a breath of fresh air when you put this whole era together. thats a big yes for me. now and in 3 years from now!!! ;-D ;-D ;-D
toledomudhens
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 200)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tavish » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:34 pm

IllinoisBandit wrote:
Tavish wrote:Being the second best switch hitter isn't a real big calling card for the Hall. Mantle, Murray, Raines, Rose have been the only good switch hitters before Chipper. I'm not sure I would consider Chipper to be a better hitter than Murray. If Chipper can play at a high level for a few more years he could surpass him.

I'm pretty sure I'd consider Chipper a FAR superior hitter to Murray.

Why do you consider Chipper to be FAR superior? Murray started his decline at about the point Chipper is in his career right now. For a quick comparison through age 34 Murray had a 140 OPS+ and Chipper had a 142 OPS+. Chipper had 4 seasons over 150 OPS+ (175, 162, 157, 155), Murray had 5 (156, 156, 156, 156, 159). Chipper had 464 BRAA (top 3 of 70, 59, 56), Murray had 589 (66, 60, 57).

Chipper's 1999 season was better than any of Murray's other seasons, but after that there is very little difference between the two as hitters. The two produced at the same level, but Chipper's last two seasons of health problems would put Murray over him IMO. If Chipper were to go on to put up a couple more seasons like he has in the past then I would take him over Murray. Again, that's only as a hitter. I would give Chipper a better look for Hall if he was a DH in the AL instead of the butcher of thirdbase in the NL.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby sgnilloccaz » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:01 pm

Theres no why Chipper is not HOF worthy, he was and still is the centerpiece of the braves, hes done so much for them throughout the 90s and earlier 21st century.
sgnilloccaz
College Coach
College Coach

Eagle Eye

Postby Tavish » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:55 pm

sgnilloccaz wrote:Theres no why Chipper is not HOF worthy, he was and still is the centerpiece of the braves, hes done so much for them throughout the 90s and earlier 21st century.

The centerpiece for the dynasty Braves over Maddux, Glavine, and Smoltz?

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby raiders_umpire » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:04 pm

sgnilloccaz wrote:Theres no why Chipper is not HOF worthy, he was and still is the centerpiece of the braves, hes done so much for them throughout the 90s and earlier 21st century.

I imagine Smoltz goes down as the centerpiece of the great Braves run of the 90s and early 00s. Smoltz was in Atlanta when they were bad in 90 and was there all the way through the entire run. Chipper played a huge part offensively for the Braves, but Smoltz is and should go down as the face of those Braves teams.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers