Chipper Jones - A HOFer? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Chipper Jones - A HOFer?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Chipper Jones - A HOFer?

Postby wake » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:35 pm

While I don't think it makes a difference how players produce the numbers they do, I think it will work to Chipper's advantage with the HOF voters that he could be arguably the 2nd best switch hitter of all time after Mantle.
wake
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:01 am

I think Chipper's a very close call. Looking at his career number, since 1998 he has had an OBP of a least .400 and a SLG of at least .500 all but once. Also, he was one of the premier players on those Braves teams that owned the NL East for more than a decade.

However, his defense has been terrible, and he also hasn't played a full season since 2003. SO I'd say he's not an HOF. However, he's very close, and if he can put up a few more good years (I need to see 2-3 more great years out of Chipper; not just see him hang around for 5 years racking up numbers), then I think he's in....
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby arod77 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:54 am

According to Baseball - Reference he is close to being a Hall of Famer. He is right behind Don Mattingly and Albert Belle. 2 Players with good career and close to HOF but not quite there. Chipper has 375 homers and he's 35 years old. I say he is about 2-3 years from being a true HOF. If he retired right now, he is not a HOF. He is really close though.
arod77
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Nerfherders » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:19 pm

Is he in if he retired today? Maybe.. maybe not. Its close, but you also have to remember that he has alot of intangibles that go along with how he is perceived as a player. He's a consummate winner - last year was the first season he has never gone to the postseason in his ENTIRE LIFE. Including minors, high school, little league. He's a switch hitter - The best since Mickey Mantle and possibly the best all-time besides the Mick.

All that said I could see it go both ways. However, the idea is irrelevant because he has a few more good years left in him. Even though he has been fighting injuries the last few years it has not affected his hitting when he is playing. So I am thinking he will play until 38-40 and at that point he will be close to 500 HR. 450 will put him in without a doubt. I think he embodies what the HoF is all about. A face of a franchise who's won like no other for 15 years.
Nerfherders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 4)

Postby zhutou » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:12 pm

it would be a shame if he didn't. even today, he is one of the best hitters in the league when healthy.
zhutou
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby chipper » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:39 pm

Yoda wrote:In a word yes. He was amazing in his prime.

Agreed
chipper
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Splendid61 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:21 am

Chipper has never struck out 100 times in a season... he has more walks than strikeouts.

He also set the record for consecutive games with an extra-base hit.

He owns the 24th highest OPS of all-time.

1999 NL MVP
Splendid61
College Coach
College Coach

Postby J35J » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:33 am

He's in for me and when he's all done, he'll be a "shoe in"!
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 398)

Postby Tavish » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:48 am

Being the second best switch hitter isn't a real big calling card for the Hall. Mantle, Murray, Raines, Rose have been the only good switch hitters before Chipper. I'm not sure I would consider Chipper to be a better hitter than Murray. If Chipper can play at a high level for a few more years he could surpass him.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby IllinoisBandit » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:36 pm

Tavish wrote:Being the second best switch hitter isn't a real big calling card for the Hall. Mantle, Murray, Raines, Rose have been the only good switch hitters before Chipper. I'm not sure I would consider Chipper to be a better hitter than Murray. If Chipper can play at a high level for a few more years he could surpass him.

I'm pretty sure I'd consider Chipper a FAR superior hitter to Murray.

I hate Chipper and has cocky smirk, but if he doesn't go to the hall pretty much no one should.

And what are you guys talking about, "him being awesome in his prime"? The man is having a rediculous season right now - 1.029 OPS.
IllinoisBandit
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers