How to deal w/ falling behind "max games played" pace? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How to deal w/ falling behind "max games played" pace?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: How to deal w/ falling behind "max games played" pace?

Postby Bloody Sox » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:42 pm

Yeah, like the other guys said - you can only do so much at this point. Two thoughts:

Look for good spot starts the rest of the way and rotate 1-2 guys in where you can. If you can strategically make up 15 games overall (2 per week) using guys with good splits (home/road, lefty/righty) then you can eek out 1/10 of a decent player's stats... might be good for 8 runs, 8 RBIs, 2 HRs and 2 Steals... depending on who you use.

DOUBLEHEADERS. Try to maximize your spot starts with guys who are playing in doubleheaders. Doing so, you might be able to squeeze out another 3-4 games, which can only help. Might get those extra stats up to 10-10-3-3.

From the start of the year, I like to employ a few multi-position eligible guys who I can use for maximizing games player as well as for platoon purposes. To do it effectively, you need to commit to using 2-3 offensive bench guys and be willing to manage it daily, which a lot of people aren't.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AdvRider » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:43 am

I did some hitter streaming this week. Dropped Billy Butler for A.J. Pierzynski and A.J.'s start on Thursday, filling my otherwise empty C spot. A.J. paid off with a 1 for 3 and a HR. ;-D Next day I dropped A.J. for Melky Cabrera.

There are more than seven weeks left in the season. This time of year, many managers pay less attention to FB because they're out of the race and football is coming around ... meaning competition for WW players is less than it was in say May and June. Over seven weeks, I'm pretty confident a streaming strategy in roto for both hitters and Ps can pay off with a few points in the standings.

Of course you can drop a bench hitter for an middle reliever, net a few Ks and low ERA and WHIP (hopefully!) until Monday or Thursday, then drop the MR for hitter to plug a hole given the abbreviated MLB schedule. Or a spot starter against a weak team -- e.g., Shaun Marcum Friday 8/10 vs. KC.

It also pays if you have the time to check your lineups an hour before gametime to ensure your starters are indeed starting ... especially important in mid to late September when lots of starters get a day off. Andy Behrens had a pretty good "Roto Arcade" column on this topic today:

So if you're in the middle of the pack in R and RBI in a public league, and you're 18 games off the games max at OF, which of these options do you think will be more valuable: owning Casey Blake for the remainder of the season, or owning the best available free agent outfielder every day, whether it's Blake or another player?

I'd take the latter option. It's not really a difficult choice, either. Think of the free agent pool as your fantasy team's farm system. You can call those guys up whenever it's necessary. If you're way behind the pace in games and innings, it's probably necessary right now. Full column
AdvRider
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 16)

Postby nyrblue2 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:31 am

Yea, I read that article earlier. It's like he was talking right to me, lol.
nyrblue2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers