How to deal w/ falling behind "max games played" pace? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How to deal w/ falling behind "max games played" pace?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How to deal w/ falling behind "max games played" pace?

Postby nyrblue2 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:59 pm

I doubt I'm going to get anything useful here, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Is there any way to make up ground if I've fallen behind schedule on my hitters' max games pace? I know for pitchers, falling behind max IP pace can be fixed with streaming and spot starters. Through a combination of injuries and regular-ol' benchings, I'm 7-10 games behind schedule at 2B, 3B and SS (I'm also waaaaay behind schedule for C, but there's not much I can do about that. That was mainly due to Ramon Hernandez and LoDuca being hurt, but not on the DL).

I mean, I guess I could do a "streaming technique" for hitters to make sure I have an active, full roster each day, but I'd have trouble flat out dropping anyone on my team to make roster space for this technique.

Anyone have any suggestions? Is it just too late at this point? Should I try 2-for-1 deals where I send 2 solid players to get 1 super-solid player to free up a roster spot, and then do the streaming?
nyrblue2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: How to deal w/ falling behind "max games played" pace?

Postby nebgib5 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:21 pm

if you're ~10 games back, there's not a whole lot you can do, as it will be tough to find enough days when your starters aren't playing and someone you could stream is. i wouldn't worry about it too much- by trying to stream a bunch of guys through, you're going to put a strain on your pitching and possibly your avg, without a lot of benefit imo.
nebgib5
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Rounders » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:28 pm

If you're not willing to drop someone off your team, then there's not much you can do. If you have 1 or 2 players you can afford to get rid of, then pick up the best guy on the wire that is playing on Monday or Thursday to plug in for your guys that have the day off. Doing this, you could make up 1 game a week at 1 or 2 positions. I wouldn't worry too much about the C slot, but I'd try to max out your games in your other slots. Yes, you could drop your AVG a little (but 20 extra games isn't going to drop them much even if your guys hit .250), but you can gain in R, HR, RBI, and SB. Sometimes 3 extra HR or SB could mean a few extra points at the end of the year. I try to max out my games every year, because the award out weighs the risk.
Do the math and see how much 8-12 more R, 8-12 more RBI, 3 HR, 3 SB gets you (just a guess at what 20 extra games might be able to net you).

Ideally you want to use this strategy all year long so that you don't fall behind, and you can get an extra 50-100 games, which could make a huge difference in the standings (assuming you're somewhere around 10 games behind at each position slot and at each OF slot without using this strategy)
Rounders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby nyrblue2 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:37 pm

Yea, I figured that the only way to remedy this would be to "suck it up" and drop a player or 2 to allow myself timely fill-ins.

I guess I can continue this discussion over in the FA/Waiver/Trade forum to see who I can afford to lose or trade. If you guys feel inclined to help me out over there, you'll probably see a lengthy post over there later tonight, lol.
nyrblue2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby great gretzky » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:34 pm

I forget to do this EVERY year, but I usually take two more pitchers than hitters because "bench hitters are a waste." I really need to remember to just have essentially "two open positions" once I get a sense if I am under games played, so I can pick nice spot starters for Tuesday, Wednesday and a weekend day, then account for Monday and Thursday to maximize.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:37 pm

Rounders wrote:If you have 1 or 2 players you can afford to get rid of, then pick up the best guy on the wire that is playing on Monday or Thursday to plug in for your guys that have the day off. Doing this, you could make up 1 game a week at 1 or 2 positions.

Either this or nothing, in my opinion.
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby RugbyD » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:11 am

i dont consciously keep X number of hitter on my bench for subs, but every day from the beginning of the year i've made a point to not have an empty starting spot on a given day with whatever my roster would allow that day. Exceptions were made for Lugo's slump. I am currently just a few games up or down at each position except C. Gotta start from day 1 b/c there's too many similar off-days.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby duckbillgates » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:13 am

I would tend to not worry about it too much. You need to make sure that you're getting someone worthwhile in your lineup.

I wouldn't try streaming batters, but you could probably pick up a second catcher (look for Saltalamacchia) and pick up an extra 10 games or so based on matchups.

You are better off focusing your concern on the categories where you can make up ground.
duckbillgates
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Niffoc4 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:16 pm

I think the open bench spot is the only way to go with this. Try to focus on matchups/platoon splits in picking your players. For example, if you are behind in 2B, see if Biggio is playing on one of your open days (and he's playing at home) he's still not horrible at home... There are lots of guys you can do this with... either home/away splits or lefty/righty splits can hide players that our rather useful...
I guess you could also make sure to pick up and play guys who get doubleheaders for whatever reason...
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby norton17 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:38 pm

Look for teams that have doubleheaders remaining.
norton17
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers