Joba Chamberlain has gotten the call - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Joba Chamberlain has gotten the call

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Joba Chamberlain has gotten the call

Postby bologna_sandwich » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:56 pm

Y`s Guy wrote:With passport in hand Joba is in The Show, folks.

You said hand Joba!!!!!
bologna_sandwich
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Richie Rich » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:11 am

vladrules wrote:So he'll be another SP/RP option for us to use, right?

yahoo! only lists him as a "RP" as of now...

just figured i would let you guys know...my dad told me that they are being very careful with him...if he pitches one inning, he has one day off, 2 innings, 2 days off, etc...and our local paper also said he will never pitch back-to-back days.
C:Sandoval 1B:Teixeira 2B:Ramirez 3B:Huff SS:Rollins OF:Crawford OF:Markakis OF:Kemp U:Holliday U:Morneau B: Werth DL: Lowell
SP Billingsley Shields Verlander Lackey Romero Hughes
RP Cordero Bell Bailey Francisco
DL Dempster
Richie Rich
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Mashug » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:28 pm

I still think he's worth a pickup in inning capped roto leagues. He'll give you K's more than 1 K per inning and a couple of cheap wins and saves. He has amazing stuff and I don't say that because i'm a Yankee fan. I've seen him pitch. His fastball/curveball combo reminds me of Dwight Gooden before the idot destroyed himself
Mashug
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Richie Rich » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:03 pm

wow...he looks amazing again tonight...if you are in a holds league i think he will be $ down the stretch...just keep in mind his rules that i posted above, but still, most relievers usually don't pitch every night anyways...he strikes out a lot of guys, low ERA, WHIP, high K/9...i just grabbed him in my holds league and am going to trade okajima and a starter to upgrade SP now...
C:Sandoval 1B:Teixeira 2B:Ramirez 3B:Huff SS:Rollins OF:Crawford OF:Markakis OF:Kemp U:Holliday U:Morneau B: Werth DL: Lowell
SP Billingsley Shields Verlander Lackey Romero Hughes
RP Cordero Bell Bailey Francisco
DL Dempster
Richie Rich
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby psflipper » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:15 am

Mashug wrote:I still think he's worth a pickup in inning capped roto leagues. He'll give you K's more than 1 K per inning and a couple of cheap wins and saves. He has amazing stuff and I don't say that because i'm a Yankee fan. I've seen him pitch. His fastball/curveball combo reminds me of Dwight Gooden before the idot destroyed himself

He doesn't throw a curveball. At least not in his major league appearances so far. He throws a real hard nasty slider though. He struck out two last night with that pitch.
psflipper
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Mashug » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:10 pm

psflipper wrote:
Mashug wrote:I still think he's worth a pickup in inning capped roto leagues. He'll give you K's more than 1 K per inning and a couple of cheap wins and saves. He has amazing stuff and I don't say that because i'm a Yankee fan. I've seen him pitch. His fastball/curveball combo reminds me of Dwight Gooden before the idot destroyed himself

He doesn't throw a curveball. At least not in his major league appearances so far. He throws a real hard nasty slider though. He struck out two last night with that pitch.

Nasty breaking ball that drops like it's falling off a table. I guess that's the slider. It's a killer.
Mashug
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby hscsoph » Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:30 pm

I remember watching this kid @ Nebraska, he is filthy! Kind of scary to know that he and Alex Gordon were teammates in college. Here is what Gordon said of Chamberlain before being called up:

“I think his attitude, the way he carries himself and the confidence he has in himself would be a great fit for the Yankees,” Gordon said tonight. “When he goes out there, he brings a lot of energy and a lot of excitement. I know he has the stuff. It’s just the mental part, and I know he has that, too.”

Chamberlain's K/9 is just frightening. i can't wait to see him match up with Manny later this month, take a seat seed boy!
Montero MigCab Beckham Andrus Sandoval Lind J Upton Ellsbury Braun Markakis Willingham B Roberts B Anderson Ubaldo "no hit" Jimenez Nolasco F Cordero Rodney Morales Baker Matusz Lilly Marcum Scherzer Romero Porcello
hscsoph
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Wrangor » Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:51 pm

I picked him up using the #3 Waiver position...knew I wouldnt get Buchholz. Now the question is will he be a starter next year? I will be tempted to keep him if he is projected as a starter next season. He definitely has great stuff, and the Yankees need to retool their pitching staff. Hughes and Chamberlain would seem to make a great young duo for the future.

Any inside info on whether he will be a longterm starter? I am in a 10 team - Keep 12 League. It will probably come down to picking two out of Joba, Vernon Wells, Kendrick, James Loney.

Any thoughts?
Wrangor
College Coach
College Coach

Postby abc11435 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:25 pm

Yes so far the Yanks are saying he will be starter. I don't want to dig for the article, but it came from Joe Torre's mouth.
abc11435
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 23)

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates