1st time Commish - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

1st time Commish

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

1st time Commish

Postby CraigMasbruch » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:23 pm

i have played in a friends league for the past five years, and it has become less competitive every year as consistently losing owners lose interest. The problem is that it's a daily transaction H2H league, so a lot rides on spending time with your team every single day. This is impossible for some of the guys, so it's pretty imbalanced. Next year, I'm planning on starting a new league, taking the most active (and smartest) owners from this league and adding some new guys. I want to do a weekly transaction league, auction draft, FAAB, the whole deal. Rules will be similar to those of Tout Wars. So I have a couple questions for you guys:

1) What site is the best for this? We have used Yahoo! in the past. Is ESPN more suited for this type of league? I would prefer a free league, but I don't want to sacrifice quality to save a few bucks.

2) How much should be automated, and how much done by email through the commish?

3) Do any of you have an "official constitution" or list of rules for this type of league?

Thanks everyone
CraigMasbruch
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 1st time Commish

Postby talan37 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:31 pm

My league does all of those things, although we do daily lineups, we only do weekly free-agents, via an open bidding process.

Mon-Thursday-Anyone can "open" bidding on a player in the minors or majors who isn't on a team.
Before Sunday at noon you submit a faab bid on whatever players you want that have had bidding opened-whoever wins gets the guy on monday.

This prevents streaming and people doing fickle roster changes, while still allowing you to carry a useful bench and get some value out of platoon guys, but the entire FA agent pool isn't available to you on a daily add/drop basis.

We use rotowire and like it, it does cost money, but its not much(I wasn't commish so i don't know for sure, but i believe around 5-10$ a person for a 12 man league).
Check out my blog at http://www.rotopulse.com for fantasy baseball analysis, injury reports, commissioner info and more. For laughs check out http://www.sportshysterics.com
talan37
College Coach
College Coach

Trivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby koondog » Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:05 am

CBS has had FAAB for about 2 years now and its awesome. I use it in my baseball and football leagues.
Its all automatic. you decide how much $ each team starts with and which days the FAAB runs.

yahoo currently doesn't have faab, and I don't espn has it either.
allstar stats has it, but very $$. Other then CBS, i don't think there is a cheaper host. Its $130/yr, so it cheap for the owners to chip in a few bucks. plus you get live scoring, minors, keepers, and some other extras.
koondog
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Diamond Miners » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:54 am

Make sure the owners that you want to take would be interested in a weekly transaction league. I know I love my daily and get bored with my weekly team.
Good luck, feel free to PM me
DM

Minor League forum
Diamond Miners
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby CraigMasbruch » Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:30 pm

Diamond Miners wrote:Make sure the owners that you want to take would be interested in a weekly transaction league. I know I love my daily and get bored with my weekly team.

A bunch of us are in a daily league currently, and it has become non-competitive, because certain owners don't have the time or ability to check their rosters every day. I want to do a weekly to level the playing field a bit, as 3 or 4 of us have been at the top of our league every year, just because we spend more time with our teams than the others. It should even it out if these guys just have to make a decision once a week.
CraigMasbruch
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)

Return to Commissioner's Corner