Who's the next to win 300? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who's the next to win 300?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Who's the next to win 300?

Postby Old_Style » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:21 am

buffalobillsrul2002 wrote:Do postseason wins count on the career win total? Becuase if so, it's possible that Randy could get number 300 in the playoffs this year.... that would be really really cool....

Pretty sure they don't.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:31 am

Snakes Gould wrote:i still doubt that anyone will do this, not including randy johnson or someone who's there already...

felix, cc, johan, peavy etc... no shot.

I think Felix has a shot to get there. He's only 22, and he's showing that he has the talent to win 15 games a year for a long time. And Sabathia might have a shot. He's got 111 wins and he's only 28. If he can somehow make it to age 40 (I don't think he will, but if he he can...), and he can win 15 games a year, he'll be close.

I also want to add that whether or not anybody gets to 300 wins again is very dependent upon the evolution of baseball. It's completely possible (though doubtful) that baseball reverts back to an era where starters finish (or come close to finishing) their own games. A fair amount of this is also dependent on medical science, as the thing keeping these guys form 300 wins will usually be injury instead of performance......
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby TheA'sFatLeadoffMan » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:03 am

15 wins a year for 12 years(In regards to CC) is a lot of good work, not to mention if one of these guys goes down for an extended period of time 1 or more times the feat becomes outright impossible.
TheA'sFatLeadoffMan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jfg » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:33 pm

Late to the party, but I'm among the naysayers. I don't know about season long pitch counts because that only affects a couple years of a players career. But, game pitch counts probably take 15-30 wins off a pitchers career. That's just a guess, but how many pitchers get up to 110-120 pitches by the end of the 6th, get taken out to see their lead blown?

Another big reason players will never get to 300 again is because of injuries and money. Players get shut down all the time now if teams are out of contention for minor injuries. I'm sure that happened a little in the past but not to the extent we see today.

Maybe it could happen but I'm doubtful and I agree that 250 is going to be the new 300 for HOF standards. Maddux, Johnson and Glavine, maybe Clemens will be elected and then a pitcher won't get in for awhile except for the closers. Once Santana and other guys who had long careers but didn't make it to 300 the committee will have to reevaluate. Guys like Mussina, Pedro and Pettite will stir up the debate and probably won't get in. Once they get to Santana and whoever else had great careers despite not getting to 300 they'll have to change the rules. It is written. :-D
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby JasonSeahorn » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:37 pm

Pedro did have that ridiculous pitching year, he should have a better chance to get in the HOF than Pettite or Mussina IMO.
JasonSeahorn Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Old_Style » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:45 pm

JasonSeahorn wrote:Pedro did have that ridiculous pitching year, he should have a better chance to get in the HOF than Pettite or Mussina IMO.

Which year are you talking about? :-)

Pedro's a lock in my book. ;-D
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby JasonSeahorn » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:52 pm

Old_Style wrote:
JasonSeahorn wrote:Pedro did have that ridiculous pitching year, he should have a better chance to get in the HOF than Pettite or Mussina IMO.

Which year are you talking about? :-)

Pedro's a lock in my book. ;-D

Yeah I think he is getting in, jfg said Pedro, Pettite and Mussina would cause a stir but probably won't get in...I was just trying to point out Pedro was definitely better than them so should have better chances than those two. And by "year" I should say "years" :-b
JasonSeahorn Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby jfg » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:11 pm

Pedro a lock? With 212 wins? Only 7 15+ win seasons? I think he'll get in but I don't know if he's first ballot like everyone thinks he'll be. He could be since there are so few pitchers from the 90's to now that will get in. The win total is still going to call for debate though.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:38 pm

Pedro's gotta be a lock. Look at '97 through his first year with the Mets. Those numbers are just silly. And if you ask me, a 9-year peak that high is good enough for the HOF...
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers