Who's the next to win 300? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who's the next to win 300?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Who's the next to win 300?

Postby IllinoisBandit » Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:39 pm

Add me to the list that thinks there will never be another 300 game winner.
IllinoisBandit
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby nebgib5 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:50 pm

os_gamejunkie wrote:
AllStar215 wrote:I think Sabathia has the best chance at 300 wins

I second this one. He started young so he's got an advantage. Also, if they keep Sizemore, Hafner and V-Mart together...plenty of run support.

i think the odds are against sabathia with his weight and possible susceptibility to injury.
nebgib5
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby thedude » Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:20 pm

King Felix has a shot because he is so young, but he is an injury risk.

Santana needs 210 wins in about 12 years. Will that happen? It will be hard.

Josh Beckett, Roy Oswalt, and Dontrell all have a chance of getting 300 wins.

Sabathia has a very good shot.

Probably the guy with the best chance is Randy Johnson since he is so close. But he also might retire.

There will be another 300 winner, ten years ago people were saying there would be no more 300 game winners and since then there have been 3.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby willy-t » Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:44 pm

I think RJ will get there, he's only 16 short of 300. He can cobble together a couple more injury affected years most probably. After that I dont think there will be another. When you think of it as 20 years 15 wins, it's a damn tough landmark.
willy-t
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jvmillion83 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:12 pm

ActionHero wrote:I may get mocked here, but I don't think it's out of the question that Mussina reaches 300. He has 245 wins right now and is "only" 38. I could easily see him pitching for anther 3-4 years after this season. He reminds me of Maddux and Glavine in that he doesn't rely on overpowering stuff to win. Plus if he stays with the Yankees, the offense should pick him up a lot. I'd give him about a 30% shot which I think is better than most of the guys on the list...

I completely agree here. This guy can pitch till about 42 or 43 I think. He was winning at least 17 games a season since his early days in Baltimore. I can see him with about 12 wins next year and then pitching for an incentive laden contract in the NL for the Padres or maybe the Mets.
jvmillion83
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Snakes Gould » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:24 am

yeah but even then, winning 12 games a season, he needs 5 more seasons. not good odds.

anyone saying someone has a "good shot" at 300 is dead off. even if you think they have "shots" they cannot be called good.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dorje3 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:06 am

CC Sabathia? The guy has just over 100 wins and he seems to be the favorite to reach 300? I just don't get it.
Mussina, perhaps.
Maybe if they put a dome over fenway and wakefield played into his fifties...
dorje3
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Old_Style » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:43 am

dorje3 wrote:CC Sabathia? The guy has just over 100 wins and he seems to be the favorite to reach 300? I just don't get it.

Sabathia has 95 wins and is 26 years old. Take a look at the last three guys to reach 300 career wins. Maddux and Clemens had 95 wins by the age of 26. Glavine had 73 wins by 26.
Before the season is over, Sabathia could have 100 wins before the age of 27. He'll be on pace to eclipse 300 if he plays ball into his 40's.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jondunc » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:19 am

Old_Style wrote:
dorje3 wrote:CC Sabathia? The guy has just over 100 wins and he seems to be the favorite to reach 300? I just don't get it.

Sabathia has 95 wins and is 26 years old. Take a look at the last three guys to reach 300 career wins. Maddux and Clemens had 95 wins by the age of 26. Glavine had 73 wins by 26.
Before the season is over, Sabathia could have 100 wins before the age of 27. He'll be on pace to eclipse 300 if he plays ball into his 40's.

I wholeheartedly agree. He entered the league in 2001 (at age 20) and has averaged 30.8 starts and 13.5 wins since then. He's on pace to surpass those numbers this year. He has never had a single arm injury and has pitched more than 200 innings only once in his career. So, let's say he wins 5 more games this season and ends the year at 100 wins at age 27. He will have to average a little over 15 wins for the next 13 years to reach the mark at age 40. With his lack of injury history and proven ability to move towards more of a soft-throwing approach (as compared to his style earlier in his career), I would say he's an excellent candidate to hit the milestone.
2008: 37th ranked Yahoo PLUS Rotisserie Public team (24 weeks in top 45, 9 weeks as #1)
2006: 18th ranked Yahoo PLUS Rotisserie Public team (17 weeks in top 35)
jondunc
College Coach
College Coach

Postby brewcrew4you » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:53 am

Do/Should we count wins in Japan :-b ?

Dice-K had 108 in Japan, 13 this season, and doesn't turn 27 until September...
brewcrew4you
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers