Anyone else have this problem - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Anyone else have this problem

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby M_Zimm » Wed Feb 11, 2004 2:35 pm

menyak wrote:First of all, thanks for the heads up. ;-D

Can anyone tell if it's really just the amount of graphics that adds up, or if it's the problem of a busy server that's slow when answering requests?

(Possible way to tell: the first page you view will always be slower because the graphics are loaded for the first time. But the next page should be much faster because most images are already stored in your own cache.)

We already introduced a hard limit that restricted avatars to 6kb and sigs to 10kb. Maybe that's not enough? Or how about a check box in the user profile where registered members can chose NOT to view other people's sigs and/or avatars?

Either way, maybe it's time to get a server upgrade. :-?

I don't care what you do, just don't make the limits smaller. It is hard enough to get a signature under 10k. I don't want to have to start making them like 80x150. Most of mine now are about 300x86.

As a side note, I got DSL when it was first available in my developement and it was very fast at first but now I think more people are getting it here and it has got noticably slower at every site I go to.
M_Zimm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby menyak » Wed Feb 11, 2004 5:54 pm

Let me know if you notice an improvement - thanks. :-B
"Never argue with an idiot. People won't know who's who."
menyak Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

WebmasterCafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby M_Zimm » Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:30 pm

menyak wrote:Let me know if you notice an improvement - thanks. :-B

I hadn't been paying much attemtion but now that you mention it...it does seem faster, at least the past half an hour it has. What did you do?
M_Zimm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert

Postby BigLebowski » Thu Feb 12, 2004 1:04 am

Today I haven't had as many problems as I did, even yesterday. I live out in the boonies and dial-up is what I have. The last few weeks I've noticed slow times are 3PM to 7PM Eastern. Before and after that I've had no problems.

Today however I've has no issues, even during those times. ;-D
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 473)

Postby Arlo » Thu Feb 12, 2004 7:27 am

M_Zimm wrote:

I hadn't been paying much attemtion but now that you mention it...it does seem faster, at least the past half an hour it has. What did you do?

Last I heard from menyak on this subject was:
menyak wrote:Ok let's see - one ounce of flour... three ounces of baking powder... six ounces of black powder... dum-di-dum...

Apparently it worked. ;-D

(I'll start worrying when he mentions eye of newt... :-D )
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby kentx12 » Thu Feb 12, 2004 8:49 am

Arlo wrote:
M_Zimm wrote:

Last I heard from menyak on this subject was:
menyak wrote:Ok let's see - one ounce of flour... three ounces of baking powder... six ounces of black powder... dum-di-dum...

Apparently it worked. ;-D

(I'll start worrying when he mentions eye of newt... :-D )

:-D

It seemed to be going much faster yesterday afternoon for me. Whatever you did thanks.

There will come a day when Barry Bonds leaves baseball, and everything about the game will be the better for it.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby menyak » Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:00 pm

Just a reminder to please keep me updated on any server lags. Visitor numbers are constantly rising, and if the server starts getting slower again, we can always throw in some more RAM. :-B
"Never argue with an idiot. People won't know who's who."
menyak Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

WebmasterCafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby M_Zimm » Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:52 pm

menyak wrote:Just a reminder to please keep me updated on any server lags. Visitor numbers are constantly rising, and if the server starts getting slower again, we can always throw in some more RAM. :-B

Right...I like RAM.... :-D
M_Zimm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert

Postby Mercer Boy » Wed Feb 18, 2004 2:06 pm

M_Zimm wrote:
menyak wrote:Just a reminder to please keep me updated on any server lags. Visitor numbers are constantly rising, and if the server starts getting slower again, we can always throw in some more RAM. :-B

Right...I like RAM.... :-D

Don't remember if I made this up or whether I heard it on ESPN NEWS one time - I think I made it up. Anyway, if you have Alex Rodrizuez as "A-Rod" and Juan Gonzalez as "Juan-Gone," wouldn't Manny Ramirez have to be "Man-Ram?" :-b
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to General Talk