Top 10 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Top 10

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 10, 2004 10:46 pm

thanks, now with postion scarcity in there, where do you guys rank them just 1-10, no more projections please, just your rankings, thanks

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby TheRock » Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:19 pm

I've played H2H points quite a bit, and I'd not have Gagne in the top 10. Very few pitchers in fact.

Let me 'splain. Some of the same principles apply as in roto, position scarcity, predictability, etc. But you also have to look at how the game is played. The goal is not to finish the season with the most points, the goal is the finish the WEEK with the most points. Each weekly matchup runs from Monday to Sunday, whoever puts up the most points in the timeframe wins.

My league gives 3 pts/inning so absolutely pitchers put up the most points. We play 10 hitters, 7 pitchers. With a 7 day week, a couple things happen. At least one pitcher from every team sometimes two, will pitch twice. So while it's nice that Prior is getting you 20 points/game, I can trot out Millwood with his 13 points a game and 2 starts and be competitive. Yeah, Prior will get just as many 2 start weeks as Millwood, but I can fill my bench with good pitchers and plan on having 2 or 3 in most every week of the season, even with waiver limits.

So my draft strategy would be to stack up on hitters early in the draft. Let the impressive point totals sucker people into grabbing the top pitchers early, then I come in the mid rounds and pick up what's left. Guys like Wolf, Nomo, Freddy, Leiter, etc. I get 8 or 9 of those guys and my pitching can hang with most anyone because I'll be getting more starts every week. And since I waited to grab pitching, my hitters rock.

How does your league handle position eligibility? Mostly I mean who can play in a RP spot? On Yahoo! and most others, anyone who had some number of relief appearances this year or last qualifies. Last year Kevin Brown was RP eligible on Yahoo!. Several others as well. Santana will be this year. You could grab those guys and play them in the RP spots and get their double starts from time to time and never own a true closer all year. I hate closers in H2H because they're such a crap shoot. Some weeks, yes, you get 3 saves. Other weeks your guy doesn't even get a save opp. Who you gonna go to with the playoffs on the line, Percival on a week when the Angels play the A's and he may not play, or Jeff Weaver who you know is scheduled to start twice?

So, I've just made the case for alot of people that H2H points sucks. And yes, it has it's shortcomings. The system can be worked to reward he who plays the system best, not he who assembles the best team.

But, it's not going away. It's easy, it's fun for the casual player, it's quick to learn, and I know most of the guys in my league won't switch to Roto.

So, to answer your question. Keeper league top 10...

ARod
Pujols
Helton
Vlad
Delgado
Soriano
Nomar
Beltran
Prior
Rolen

Exact order debatable... OPS is your friend.
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BGbootha » Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:26 pm

Speaking of a Simulator. Anyone know where to get a good one?
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby LBJackal » Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:31 pm

Good points TheRock. And that's exactly why I play roto. It's not luck or strategy that involves using multiple lesser players. And you can't lose an entire season based on having a sub-par week or your opponent having an above-par week.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:50 pm

LBJackal wrote:Good points TheRock. And that's exactly why I play roto. It's not luck or strategy that involves using multiple lesser players. And you can't lose an entire season based on having a sub-par week or your opponent having an above-par week.

Amen
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Fumbler » Wed Feb 11, 2004 12:02 am

And you can't lose an entire season based on having a sub-par week or your opponent having an above-par week.

But that's exactly why it's more appealing to people. Life is unpredictable. In a predictable world the Marlins would not have won the World Series last year (nor the Angles the year before that). It gives everyone hope that they have a chance to win.

Anyways, it's not much different than leading your Roto league all year long and then end up losing after the last week of the season because your team played poorly and the guy in second had a great week.

If anyone is really concerned about it, the simple solution is to make the playoff matchups be cumulative over a two-week period. Not foolproof, but the better team would win alot more often.
Fumbler
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers