Tom Tancredo: Presidential Candidate/Nutjob Extrordinaire - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Tom Tancredo: Presidential Candidate/Nutjob Extrordinaire

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Tom Tancredo: Presidential Candidate/Nutjob Extrordinaire

Postby CheeseBeger » Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:32 am

WASHINGTON (CNN) — Colorado Rep. Tom Tancredo’s campaign stood by his assertion that bombing holy Muslim sites would serve as a good “deterrent” to prevent Islamic fundamentalists from attacking the United States, his spokeswoman said Friday.

“This shows that we mean business,” said Bay Buchanan, a senior Tancredo adviser. “There’s no more effective deterrent than that. But he is open-minded and willing to embrace other options. This is just a means to deter them from attacking us.”

On Tuesday, Tancredo warned a group of Iowans that another terrorist attack would “cause a worldwide economic collapse.” IowaPolitics.com recorded his comments.

“If it is up to me, we are going to explain that an attack on this homeland of that nature would be followed by an attack on the holy sites in Mecca and Medina,” Tancredo said. “That is the only thing I can think of that might deter somebody from doing what they would otherwise do. If I am wrong, fine, tell me, and I would be happy to do something else. But you had better find a deterrent, or you will find an attack.”

Tom Casey, a deputy spokesman for the State Department, told CNN’s Elise Labott that the congressman’s comments were “reprehensible” and “absolutely crazy.” Tancredo was widely criticized in 2005 for making a similar suggestion.

8-o
I am appalled that he is a Representitive of our country. How he could have risen to the level he has is completely beyond me and I hope this statement is effectively politcal suicide and he never holds ANY position of importance again. This level of ignorance is completely unnacceptable!
2010 H2HWS Champion - Cleveland Clams
CheeseBeger
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Tom Tancredo: Presidential Candidate/Nutjob Extrordinaire

Postby josebach » Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:37 pm

Why is he a nutjob? Having our military openly target innocent civilians is the perfect way to decrease terrorist activity and gain world support. ;-7
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Big Pimpin » Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:35 pm

It's a bit crazy to actually say such a thing, but I actually can't dismiss the merit of the idea. I mean seriously, what's to stop the terrorists? Loss of life? They don't care. Tearing apart their countries trying to root them out? Again, they don't care. They'll go somewhere else. I would think the threat of this might actually make them think about attacking the US. Heck you could bomb the holy sites in Mecca at night to minimize civilian death.

Though where you'd run into trouble is if you actually did bomb the holy sites. While the threat might be a deterrent, actually doing it would probably just rile them up even more, not to mention piss off the non-extremist peaceful Muslims here in the States and around the world. Wouldn't end well I imagine.

In any case, I'm not appalled at all by the statement. In fact, it's this kind of out-of-the-box thinking that might actually get something done. Not that this idea is particularly good, but I wonder what else this guy has floating around in his head. :-B
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Postby josebach » Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:36 pm

We're the most powerful country in the world, right? And we need to resort to bombing mosques full of women and children?

People that really feel this way are just as extreme as the terrorists because they don't care if innocent life is lost. I guess as long as it's not American life, it's ok.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Boyakasha » Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:51 pm

This is the kind of stuff that almost makes me embarrassed to be an American. Whenever I travel abroad, I find myself always apologizing for the insane stuff that our country keeps doing. Like it's my fault :-b ; but I can't defend it, so I just sigh and say, "I know, I know, I'm sorry, my country's gone crazy right now; here, let me buy you a beer."
Boyakasha
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 15)

Postby CheeseBeger » Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:58 pm

Tancredo is definatley not helping us out in the PR department. Does he seriously believe bombing the places held most sacred by 1.6 BILLION people (even the threat of it) will in any way whatsoever be benificial to us?

Yes lets go bombing holy sites located in an allied country to really show those terrorists who's boss. There truly is nothing like killing a bunch of innocents civilians to show off how big our testicles are.
2010 H2HWS Champion - Cleveland Clams
CheeseBeger
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Coppermine » Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:46 am

Hearts and minds baby, hearts and minds.

Dick Cheney wrote:I really do believe that we will be greeted as liberators.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby davidmarver » Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:16 am

Heaven forbid a Presidential candidate bounces an idea off the public.

I always love how
If I am wrong, fine, tell me, and I would be happy to do something else.
is conveniently ignored.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby bleach168 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:31 am

davidmarver wrote:Heaven forbid a Presidential candidate bounces an idea off the public.

I always love how
is conveniently ignored.

"Tancredo was widely criticized in 2005 for making a similar suggestion."

They did tell him. :-b
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 52)

Postby josebach » Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:52 am

davidmarver wrote:I always love how
is conveniently ignored.

So you're saying it's ok to suggest anything as long as you put a disclaimer at the end of it?

I think I'm going to go on the internet and scam on 11 year old girls... if I am wrong, fine, tell me and I would be happy to do something else.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to General Talk