To Catch a Predator suspect commits live-on-TV suicide - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

To Catch a Predator suspect commits live-on-TV suicide

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: To Catch a Predator suspect commits live-on-TV suicide

Postby J35J » Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:45 pm

I really enjoy the show! I've watched most of the "episodes" and I am amazed every time!! I can't help but laugh when the cameras show up and they realize they are SCAAAARRRUUUUUUUUDDDEEE!!!! Priceless!
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 398)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby great gretzky » Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:29 pm

I hear the point. BUT, and this is an incredibly relevant BUT, temptation while it might lead to something, isn't a sin itself, otherwise Jesus was a sinner. A lot of these people persist, even when some of the would-be victimizers back off. They employ personas, begging and wheedling even when the mark has begun to have second thoughts.

I don't have much sympathy for these types of people at all, and they get what they deserve. But I also have a major problem with extra-legal procedures like this, because it really is an offshoot of vigilantism, just instead of punishment, they are launching investigations and sting operations. Seems to me a job best left to the authorities.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby JTWood » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:42 pm

brewcrew4you wrote:Wooderson: That's what I love about these high school girls, man. I get older, they stay the same age.

Dude... Ben Affleck was in that movie. That trips me out every time. :-b
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Yoda » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:05 am

I don't sympathize with these guys at all. They are doing something illegal, knowingly and they are taking a big risk by seeking out their fantasies/dreams. Everyone knows the consequences of having sex with underage children. There is no excuse for it. At all.

Actually in the NJ shores sting, one of my old fraternity brother was caught soliciting a 14 yo girl. HE was lonely and didn't care how old she was but still, why not just get a hooker if you are that desperate?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Snakes Gould » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:31 am

ok all your points are taken, and taken very well. but whether or not you guys have sympathy for the people and whether they deserve 10-12 years in prison are completely different. and like i said, if the guys are preying on young kids over and over and over again ok, they are "predators", but in some cases, i just dont feel like the guy is a "predator".

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby josebach » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:55 am

I've only seen clips of the show, but I thought the whole premise was they ambushed the guy only after he lured "the child" somewhere. Meaning, it's already gone beyond "temptation". :-?

I have mixed opinions on the show. Where I believe these guys should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, flashing their faces all over national television as a form of entertainment reeks of opportunism and makes me feel voyeuristic and dirty just watching it. To me it's not much better than watching public excecutions. I guess I just don't understand why people find it entertaining.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby knapplc » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:24 am

Snakes Gould wrote:ok all your points are taken, and taken very well. but whether or not you guys have sympathy for the people and whether they deserve 10-12 years in prison are completely different. and like i said, if the guys are preying on young kids over and over and over again ok, they are "predators", but in some cases, i just dont feel like the guy is a "predator".

I get where you're coming from with this whole "relative age" thing, and I don't think your 100% wrong. There is gray area when it comes to people of certain age groups, and different levels of culpability in these situations. But in the case of this show (which, for the record, I do not watch for the very reasons Jose stated above ^^^) these guys are not typically "gray area" guys, and Mr. Bullet For Dinner was WAY not a "gray area" guy.

It's hard to deal in absolutes, even in this situation. If I could provide free advice to everyone and their brother it would be to stay WELL AWAY from any of these girls. It is by all means better to be safe than sorry in these situations.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye

Postby great gretzky » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:22 am

If "sympathy" were the only consideration in the criminal justice system, an awful lot of people would be doing life terms. Fairness and justice do have to prevail. I also believe the law should be enforced and investigated by the Executive Branch of the government, not normal citizens at the quasi-behest/enabling of some TV show.

To say so isn't justifying the actions of people who obviously have problems. It's not a good precedent here.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby slomo007 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:27 am

Does anyone know if the chat transcripts are posted online somewhere? I'd be curious to read them to figure out just how hard Perverted Justice tries to set these people up. It's one thing if they guy is all over them sending xxx pics and begging to come over, it's another if he's confused and just wondering what he should do....then they suggest that he come over.

I have really mixed feelings on this issue. On one hand I do think it's good that predators in chat rooms everywhere have to worry that they're talking to a decoy....if it prevents some children from having it happen to them then that's great. On the other hand, I agree with the "vigilante justice" label that was used earlier in this thread. It seems like too much of a setup and I agree that I feel a little bad for some of those guys....not all of them....but there are some that have legitimate mental problems that just need help more than anything. Arresting them, putting them in prison, then releasing them so they can do it again is not going to help anything, except TV ratings.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby josebach » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:42 am

slomo007 wrote:Does anyone know if the chat transcripts are posted online somewhere? I'd be curious to read them to figure out just how hard Perverted Justice tries to set these people up. It's one thing if they guy is all over them sending xxx pics and begging to come over, it's another if he's confused and just wondering what he should do....then they suggest that he come over.

I have really mixed feelings on this issue. On one hand I do think it's good that predators in chat rooms everywhere have to worry that they're talking to a decoy....if it prevents some children from having it happen to them then that's great. On the other hand, I agree with the "vigilante justice" label that was used earlier in this thread. It seems like too much of a setup and I agree that I feel a little bad for some of those guys....not all of them....but there are some that have legitimate mental problems that just need help more than anything. Arresting them, putting them in prison, then releasing them so they can do it again is not going to help anything, except TV ratings.

For what it's worth...
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11131562/
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk