To Catch a Predator suspect commits live-on-TV suicide - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

To Catch a Predator suspect commits live-on-TV suicide

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

To Catch a Predator suspect commits live-on-TV suicide

Postby CheeseBeger » Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:36 am

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/no ... 92335.html

Live-on-TV suicide follows paedophile sting

WHEN a gaggle of police officers and an NBC TV crew pulled up at the home of Louis Conradt in the town of Murphy, the neighbours must have thought it was for a traditional Texas barbecue.

They had come to the home of the locally famous county prosecutor, a veteran of countless arrests and stakeouts against Texas criminals.

But what happened next was to shake the wealthy community to its core and raise serious questions about the antics of the broadcast news media which has turned criminal investigations of paedophiles into a reality TV show watched by millions.

In this case the veteran prosecutor was the target of a sting by the police, an online watchdog group Perverted Justice and NBC's top-rated show 'Dateline: To Catch a Predator.' Working hand in glove with police forces around the country the programme targets paedophiles who cruise the internet trying to solicit sex from minors.

For the show in Murphy, near Dallas, NBC rented a house in a well-to-do area and installed hidden cameras throughout. To lure suspects to the honeytrap, they brought in professional actors to impersonate underage teenagers.

Unlike the other suspects in the show, Mr Conradt never made it to the rented Dateline house, but he did use the online moniker 'inxs00' in an internet chat room to talk dirty with an actor posing as 'a thirteen-year-old boy'. This, Mr Conradt would have known is a criminal act in Texas. With the cameras rolling Mr Conradt refused to answer the door or answer his home or mobile phones. The police then smashed their way in to find the prosecutor standing in the hall with a semi-automatic pistol in his hand.

He shot himself in the head. NBC and Chris Hansen who is the star of the show are unapologetic about the prosecutor's live-on-TV death.

It has since emerged that the case was so badly botched that it would have been thrown out of court. The search warrant had the wrong date and listed the wrong county.

There is also the mystery of why the police forced their way in when they could have arrested him at work the next day.

The prosecutor's sister, Patricia, says Dateline effectively killed her brother.

"[His suicide] was an act precipitated by the rush to grab headlines where there was no evidence that there was any emergency other than to line the pockets of an out-of-control group and a TV show pressed for ratings and a deadline."

- Leonard Doyle

I'm not mad to see this guy dead, but I think there is something seriously wrong with this show. Talk about sensationalist TV, it is like nothing will stop them at trying to get their ratings. Some of the tactics the "Perverted-Justice" group uses toes the line of entraptment so closely it is not funny.
2010 H2HWS Champion - Cleveland Clams
CheeseBeger
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: To Catch a Predator suspect commits live-on-TV suicide

Postby great gretzky » Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:02 pm

the problem is that its not technically entrapment, because the government isn't doing it, but with a lot of their tactics, it really feels like it is in some regards.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby sportsaddict » Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:30 pm

I've heard that half the time these guys go to court and get off without any jail time, because they can find a way around it.

I've watched the show before, and it's disturbing. I say let the police deal with these people- I don't know if NBC actually cares about getting them off the streets as much as they care about their ratings.
"Oh, that Lankford and McGee, the trio of 'em. They're a one-man wrecking crew."

-Mike Shannon
sportsaddict
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby beatdrum » Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:57 pm

I don't have a problem with the show. In this case, the ends may very well justify the means. I have no sympathy for a guy trying to meet up with a 12 year old girl for sex even if the girl initiated the sex talk.
beatdrum
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby knapplc » Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:33 pm

I have zero problems with this show and/or their tactics. If you're not guilty, you're OK. If you go along with their offers of sex with minors you get what you deserve.

I have zero sympathy AT ALL for any person who gets busted for this stuff. No amount of encouragement in the world is going to "trick" a non-pedophile into sex with a minor as they portray it on this show. The people they bust intentionally and with all prior knowledge agree to attempt sex with minors. They should be roasted alive for this stuff, IMO. Getting busted on live national TV is the least of the punishment they deserve.

As for Mr. Suicide - yeah, cry me a river. The guy knew what he was doing, he got busted, and like the coward he is he ate a bullet rather than facing the courts/prison. Hope the lead tasted swell, jerk. Have a nice eternity in hell. :-t
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby beatdrum » Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:47 pm

knapplc wrote:I have zero problems with this show and/or their tactics. If you're not guilty, you're OK. If you go along with their offers of sex with minors you get what you deserve.

I have zero sympathy AT ALL for any person who gets busted for this stuff. No amount of encouragement in the world is going to "trick" a non-pedophile into sex with a minor as they portray it on this show. The people they bust intentionally and with all prior knowledge agree to attempt sex with minors. They should be roasted alive for this stuff, IMO. Getting busted on live national TV is the least of the punishment they deserve.

As for Mr. Suicide - yeah, cry me a river. The guy knew what he was doing, he got busted, and like the coward he is he ate a bullet rather than facing the courts/prison. Hope the lead tasted swell, jerk. Have a nice eternity in hell. :-t

;-D
beatdrum
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Snakes Gould » Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:12 am

ok, ive had this discussion before with my g/f and others and my point is usually never taken too well. no one sympathizes with a 20 year old who gets busted for a 14 yr old girl? so many times in high school a 14 year old freshman would be going out with an 18 year old senior, and there is ZERO problem with it, at least where i come from. a 2 year difference really doesnt make someone a sexual deviant/predator in my opinion. he probably shouldnt be doing it, but how its comparable to a 55 year old man and a 12 year old girl is completely bogus in my eyes. many 14 year olds can easily pass for 17 and me being 22 years old can honestly say that ive been sexually attracted to a 17 year old and i would hypothetical have no morale dilemma being with said girl. now if i found out the girl was 14 id definitely back track, but if i already did her and then she told me, does that make me a predator. now i realize most of the guys on the show do indeed "prey" for underage minors to fulfill their sick fantasies, but not all of them. im not saying every person on the show, but some i have a small amount of pity for.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Melo255 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:25 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:ok, ive had this discussion before with my g/f and others and my point is usually never taken too well. no one sympathizes with a 20 year old who gets busted for a 14 yr old girl? so many times in high school a 14 year old freshman would be going out with an 18 year old senior, and there is ZERO problem with it, at least where i come from. a 2 year difference really doesnt make someone a sexual deviant/predator in my opinion. he probably shouldnt be doing it, but how its comparable to a 55 year old man and a 12 year old girl is completely bogus in my eyes. many 14 year olds can easily pass for 17 and me being 22 years old can honestly say that ive been sexually attracted to a 17 year old and i would hypothetical have no morale dilemma being with said girl. now if i found out the girl was 14 id definitely back track, but if i already did her and then she told me, does that make me a predator. now i realize most of the guys on the show do indeed "prey" for underage minors to fulfill their sick fantasies, but not all of them. im not saying every person on the show, but some i have a small amount of pity for.

I don't see your later example as comparable. It would be one thing if you met some hot chick at a club who looked 18, slept with her and later found out she was 14 but in these cases they find out the girls, or boys, age almost immediately and decide to take it from there. The only people I feel bad for here are the wives and kids of some these sick bastards. Remember that show with the respected doctor? He was really tall and thin and whining that he didn't do anything? When he called his wife to tell her he was in a lot of trouble and needed to be bailed out of jail at the end he said "Don't bring the girls". I felt a little bad for the guy as it's obvious his entire life as a doctor, husband and father is pretty much over but it was of his own doing and he completely deserved it. His wife and his daughters however are the innocent victims that really made me sad. Every time I hear one these A-Holes say he has a wife or kids I want to kill him myself for putting them through all this crap that they don't deserve. Destroying your wifes life and very probably scarring your children for life is inexcusable. What really sickens me is that most of these people get between nothing and 5 years. Realizing that 5 years is often suspended and essentially becomes probation or say 6 months in jail just ticks me off. To me if there's anything besides murder that is deserving of a life sentence without parole it's this.
Melo255
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby knapplc » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:32 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:ok, ive had this discussion before with my g/f and others and my point is usually never taken too well. no one sympathizes with a 20 year old who gets busted for a 14 yr old girl? so many times in high school a 14 year old freshman would be going out with an 18 year old senior, and there is ZERO problem with it, at least where i come from. a 2 year difference really doesnt make someone a sexual deviant/predator in my opinion. he probably shouldnt be doing it, but how its comparable to a 55 year old man and a 12 year old girl is completely bogus in my eyes. many 14 year olds can easily pass for 17 and me being 22 years old can honestly say that ive been sexually attracted to a 17 year old and i would hypothetical have no morale dilemma being with said girl. now if i found out the girl was 14 id definitely back track, but if i already did her and then she told me, does that make me a predator. now i realize most of the guys on the show do indeed "prey" for underage minors to fulfill their sick fantasies, but not all of them. im not saying every person on the show, but some i have a small amount of pity for.

I don't, not one bit. There's a world of difference between two kids in High School going out, even if the guy is 18 and the girl is 14. Take that same 18-year-old and have him already graduated and it becomes uncool, IMO. You're talking about life stages here, not just black-and-white age discussions.

That 22 year old guy hooking up with that 17 year old girl is in a vastly different stage of life than she is. He's at the point where he's going to be graduating college, or at least he's of an age to be, and at best she's a senior in High School. That's a tremendous difference in life stages there. She's WAY more child than he is at that point, generally speaking.

I have zero sympathy for any guy 20 or older who hooks up with a 14 year old girl. I don't care how old she looks, it's his responsibility to check it out, and if she's not of age he's at fault, not her, end of story.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby brewcrew4you » Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:40 pm

Wooderson: That's what I love about these high school girls, man. I get older, they stay the same age.
brewcrew4you
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to General Talk