MLB fantasy 411 listeners? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

MLB fantasy 411 listeners?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: MLB fantasy 411 listeners?

Postby Rounders » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:54 pm

bigwords wrote:I really believe that Cory saves his best research and insight for his own teams and gives casual off-cuff opinions to his listeners. So just be careful when using their advice...

I this statement is BS. That may be your opinion, but the guy is the main adviser on one of the most listened to fantasy baseball podcasts (if not the most). Yes, some of the advice he gives comes back to bite him in his leagues because it turns people onto players they wouldn't have seen before, but it doesn't keep him from giving the advice. When going through Pitch and Ditch (yes, it's a take-off from LIMA, but he doesn't claim to have created the strategy), many times he will say when he picked one of the pitchers up for his own team. He shares the same research with everyone that has helps him in his many leagues. With the stats he rattles off at any given time, he obviously does his homework, knows his stuff, and shares it with whomever will listen. You can like the advice or not, but based on the amount of listeners they have, he does something right.
Rounders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigwords » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:45 pm

Just because Spongehead Bob gets higher ratings than The Sopranos doesn't make Spongehead Bob (as much I like the show) a superior show to The Sopranos. What's better -- a vs. b -- is clearly subjective, but popularity doesn't equate to quality.

I think Cory is knowledgable and impressive when he can cite stats off of his head, but that doesn't mean he's good at identifying spot starters, as I said. Usually, he's asked about a certain guy in a certain matchup and he takes less than two seconds to say "pitch" or "ditch." I've listened time in and time again to recommended starters who go on to miserable performances. This is much closer to the norm than the exception, unfortunately. Sometimes, he'll bring up a pitcher he decided to spot start the night before on his own fantasy team, and it's clear he made a lot more careful research before making that particular decision.

I agree with you that people listen...they must do something right. But that something isn't exactly great advice. I said I listened to entertainment value. I tuned into the show for the first time late last year and found the experience so enjoyable (from an entertainment standpoint) that I went back and listened during the off-season to some of the show's archives. Man, you wouldn't believe what a wince-inducing experience that became, as I listened to bad advice after bad advice. (In hindsight, "bad" becomes less subjective and more measurable.) Sure, the advice may seem smart at the time, but I urge you to listen to some of their preseason shows just to see whether their advice to callers stands up over time.

Cory and Mike may give better advice than your baseball-naive next door neighbor, but they aren't the best source if you want to win your league.
bigwords
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby RynMan » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:56 pm

Well said GP - it's a little surreal that I know who you are just from listening to the show for so long.

I honestly don't find Corey condescending - I feel like he says a lot of stuff tongue in cheek for much of the time, so it just adds to the comic value. I also think it's a little weak to pick on Mike for not winning a league. Fantasy baseball isn't always about skill - you gotta be lucky also. At the end of the day, you take it for what it's worth and create your own opinion. I think people get pissed off when they don't really have the confidence or ability to come up with their own opinion and rely solely on one or two people's advice, when something goes bad.

Both guys create the perfect balance for the show in terms of characteristics, which makes it so enjoyable.

The show is great, and without a doubt is the best fantasy show on the web. ;-D
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby gabba » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:24 pm

I agree with Rynman.

All information is good information if you know how to filter out the BS.

I have been listening to the 411 for 2 years and the first few months i took on too much of their opinions as gospel, but after a while I got a feel for the theories they speak of.
gabba
College Coach
College Coach

Postby RynMan » Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:51 pm

Good show today peoples. Coco Ma joins the fellas in studio for the show. Outstanding. :-D
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Slapweasel » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:20 pm

August 14th's show was a disaster, in this viewer's opinion. Joe Sheehan was subjected to Corey's berating of some jackass for not getting a name correct in his show-notes. While his former employer and mentor is important to him and him alone, his rant should have been taken care of off the air. Joe Sheehan, who in my eyes, (and Corey's it seems), is one of the best analysits out there. For even thirty seconds to be taken out of this broadcast to seriously take a member of the staff to task for this error is stupid. Let me reiterate the fact that this is stupid.

This was a waste of my time, Joe Sheehan's time and all of the viewers' and listeners' time. Sheehan even made a comment about how he felt, as though he were in the end of a movie. While I cannot recall the movie, it was a commentary about how surreal the situation was. His next comment was that Corey should take the show wherever he wants because he was "scared". While this was mentioned in jest, it added to the dimention this broadcast had taken.

If Corey never hosts a show alone again, it would be a blessing to all the 411's viewers. It only stresses how important Mike's role is on this show.

I've stated earlier that Mike was a perfect counterpart to Corey. This was personified clearly in the August 14th broadcast. While Joe Sheehan was a high-quality counterpoint to Corey's opinions, he was a guest. As a guest, he was subject to Corey's confused rantings and incorrect opinions. Clearly, he should never act as host again.

I am accountable for my opinions, and I call in semi-frequently as "Marc from Cleveland". I also show my work and don't confuse my decisions with my outcomes.

If you need to check your opinions against quality opinions, you should view/listen to this show. Of course there are other opinions and advice out there! I tend to make my first stop at the 411 because these guys know what they are talking about. Period.
-The Self-Proclaimed Voice Of Truth And Reason-
-Your Friendly Neighborhood Slapweasel-
...I'm Your Huckleberry.
Slapweasel
College Coach
College Coach

Postby FantasyBaseballMafia » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:00 am

for all those Mike Siano haters ;) you have to take a week off:

Noon - MLB.com Fantasy 411
"Brandon Costa and Cory Schwartz follow the top stories as they affect your fantasy lineups, offering free advice as usual."

Mike's out on MLB business all week as Brandon dropps in to take over the Host chair.

GP
http://www.FantasyBaseballMafia.com
http://wiretap.hipcast.com/rss/fbm_wiretap.xml
FantasyBaseballMafia
T-Ball Trainer

Postby RynMan » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:34 pm

Slapweasel wrote: I tend to make my first stop at the 411 because these guys know what they are talking about. Period.

I listen to the show everyday, however this place is my first stop. You can't beat live information like this, in an environment with discussion. Some of it is intelligent, some of it isn't.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby DSheppard » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:50 am

its 1 am so forgive me if someone asked this and i skipped it, but is there any way to get this through itunes?

i used to listen everday, but in the offseason i deleted it from my itunes podcast list since it was unnecessary for a while, and then when i came to turn it back on this year it wasnt on itunes.

i like the show, but ive only listened here and there as i dont like having to go to their site and get the episodes for something i dont care THAT much about.
DSheppard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby sportsguy138 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:18 am

I'm listening to Wednesday's podcast right now and it's not too bad. I really hope people don't weigh heavily what some of these guys have to say though, even though some of the advice is good. I'll be interested to see how the next couple shows are. ;-D
sportsguy138
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 388)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers