MLB fantasy 411 listeners? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

MLB fantasy 411 listeners?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: MLB fantasy 411 listeners?

Postby Rounders » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:15 pm

As one of the 3 guys that kept track of pitch and ditch stats, I don't mind that segment at all. The way I did the stats is that I took the pitchers they said they would start, and threw out the stats for the pitchers that went in the 1st 9 rounds (since Cory's strategy is to not draft SP until round 10 unless a very good deal falls to you). I then added in the stats of the 2 closers and 1 middle reliever Cory drafted (since his strategy also involves getting 2 top tier closers and fill in with good middle relievers). The stats based on a 1500 IP limit didn't come out too bad (and that's assuming only 3 relievers). This stats are from 2006 because I didn't have the time to do them this year.

And to his credit, he realized after playing NFBC that this strategy doesn't work for all formats. It obviously has it's limitations if it's an auction league, or your league has a maximum roster moves.

EDIT: here's my findings from 2006 http://mlbradiofans.sonoftheraven.com/v ... highlight=
Rounders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Kingctb27 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:36 pm

Alright, we know that the 411 guys know about this thread now, so I would like to throw these out there...

Scrap pitch or ditch. Anyone with adequate knowledge can look at a guy's last few starts and the opponent that the guy is facing.

Also, Cory's ego is quickly making me re-think why I listen to the show. His condescending attitude about everything is really starting to p*ss me off... So much that I fast forwarded through the whole Bonds thing monday because it's like he won't even listen to Mike's argument.
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Champion

Postby Havok1517 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:05 am

Kingctb27 wrote:Alright, we know that the 411 guys know about this thread now, so I would like to throw these out there...

Scrap pitch or ditch. Anyone with adequate knowledge can look at a guy's last few starts and the opponent that the guy is facing.

Also, Cory's ego is quickly making me re-think why I listen to the show. His condescending attitude about everything is really starting to p*ss me off... So much that I fast forwarded through the whole Bonds thing monday because it's like he won't even listen to Mike's argument.

Cory goes off on tangents sometimes and I was also like "Shut up Cory" during the Bonds thing but for all of the knowledge, wisdom, and stats he gives listeners its something I can stand.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 116)

Postby sharkraider » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:34 am

I think some of the posts are getting a little ridiculous. Cory's ego / Mike's no league win.
Personality is what makes the show tick.

Less :-t more :-b

Flags fly forever, Baby !
sharkraider
T-Ball Trainer

Postby Bwanna » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:22 am

So, I was listening to yesterday's podcast. There was a reference to a message board by Cory below. Wonder if he was referring to FBC?

"One of our callers yesterday pointed us to a message board where some people were talking about the show, kind of critiquing the show a little bit, and for the most part it was very positive and I appreciate that, it's good to get good feedback.

And I can take bad feedback as well, but there were a couple of people that were a little bit critical of Mike, they say he's never won a big-time league so how seriously should we take his advice? And I just think that's really weak to be honest with you. He was a little bit peeved by that, and I was like 'yeah, don't worry about it', but the more I thought about it, you know what, if you like the advice, if you think the advice is sound then take it on its merits.

What does it matter if it's coming from the tic-tac-toe-playing chicken down in Chinatown? If you think the advice is sound, take the advice, don't put the qualifications on it. The other things we've become very adamant about here on the show, is we show our work. We say why we think what we think. And, if you agree with that, with what we say, and you think the advice is sound, then you run with it, and if it works out, great.

If it doesn't work out, we explain why we thought it and you had your option to buy into it. Mike and I have been on this show for 4-5-6 years, I don't even know how long. Mike's been a staple and I think the show is fairly well regarded, and clearly Mike is a part of that.

Take the advice on its merits. If you think Mike is out of his mind, call up the show and say 'Mike, we've heard your advice and I think it's nonsense.'

... Advice has to be viewed in a bubble, we take all the information we get, we apply what we think we know and we take our best show at it, and if you think it makes sense run with it. Mike can go to bat for himself, he's a big boy, but I think it needed to be said, and the bottom-line is, maybe that's why Mike's out sick today. Maybe his feelings were a little bit hurt. (both laugh)"
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st]
123Innings '08 [1st/1st], '09 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/4th], '12 [4th/2nd]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Cool 3.0 '08 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 262)

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:26 am

He was referring to FBC, a caller mentioned the site by name during the previous show.
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Bwanna » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:33 am

Anyone have their IM handy?
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st]
123Innings '08 [1st/1st], '09 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/4th], '12 [4th/2nd]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Cool 3.0 '08 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 262)

Postby Rounders » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:03 pm

BillyHallDisciple wrote:He was referring to FBC, a caller mentioned the site by name during the previous show.

No one needs to mention this site on that show. All the guys I play with listen to the show, so I don't need them finding out where I get my information so quickly.
Rounders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby FantasyBaseballMafia » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:56 pm

Hey Guys and maybe gals

This is GP, AKA Goingpostal in Cincinnati AKA Postal
I run the previously mentioned http://www.mlbradiofans.com and also our newest site http://www.FantasyBaseballMafia.com

Like Brad and many others, I too am A Fantasy 411 Hall of Fame member (06) and have been with the guys since the begenning. In the early days Lenny Melnick was involved as was Klayman and a host of other talent. I'm the first to admit my view is biased as I havn't missed a show in alsmost 5 years but never the less - I don't think there is any debate the 411 is the uncontested #1 Fantasy Baseball Podcast out there.

Having met Both Cory Schwartz and Mike Siano in person at the first annual Fantasy Summit in Cleveland I can attest first hand to both Mike and Corys Knowledge, there were no que cards or notes as we talked Baseball from one establishment to the next just plain old baseball smarts.

Here is how the story goes:

a caller calls the 411 and mentiones this thread what? Monday i guess?
I instant message Mike a link to the URL during the show
The previously mentioned conversation in this thread by cory takes place on yesterdays show
Mike comes back today and the thread get's no mention

I'll end my 2.5 cents this way - as good fantasy baseball players we should all be thinking for our selves and constantly challenge the opinions given to us so that we ourselves can investigate and learn and ultimatly grow as a player. The 411 has always made me question my own beliefs and theirs, I may be a dedicated listener but I think for myself!

GP
http://www.FantasyBaseballMafia.com

P.S. Brad, many of us read the cafe and or never post, I havn't posted in so long i forgot my old username and pass and created this one. it's safe to say the word about the cafe is out - hell we have it linked from both our sites, lol but your secrets safe with me ;)
FantasyBaseballMafia
T-Ball Trainer

Postby bigwords » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:27 pm

"As one of the 3 guys..."

They didn't invent the strategy of picking pitchers late or cheap. I would say that it's a dumbed-down version of the LIMA (low investment mound aces) approach: http://www.fantasyinfocentral.com/featu ... a_plan.php

I don't think they would claim credit for inventing the strategy, though they come close at times.

My bigger bone to pick is that they seem to do very little research before recommending or not recommending a certain starter before a game. They seem to go on names, basic peripheral stats, and recent track record. That's fine, but it's also pretty cursory and they've recommended a lot of pitchers who have gone on to disaster starts. It's no coincidence that they've had to change the opening of the "pitch or ditch" segment several times as they've been embarrassed by their previous endorsements.

Their results may not have "come out too bad," as you put it, but I dare you to compare their track record to the team behind ESPN's "Daily Notes" or even FBC's own NHsportsfan. I really believe that Cory saves his best research and insight for his own teams and gives casual off-cuff opinions to his listeners. So just be careful when using their advice...
bigwords
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers