MLB fantasy 411 listeners? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

MLB fantasy 411 listeners?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: MLB fantasy 411 listeners?

Postby Esen » Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:08 pm

BigZ38 wrote:The 411 is excellent...Mike and Cory are hilarious but I love it when Jeff "Coco" Ma is on.

Yea he is on with them eery Thursday
~Erik
Esen
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RynMan » Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:22 am

I've been a consistent listener for the past 3 years, download it every day and listen while driving to work for 45 mins. Great show - the guys crack me up. I think I'm at the point now where I'm not so much tuning in for fantasy advice, but just to listen to the jokes and baseball talk. Jeff Ma is my favorite show of the week - that kid is awesome - love hearing about his escapades in Las Vegas lol.

Some of their advice I agree with, some I don't.....everyone should form their own opinion eventually.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby sharkraider » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:43 pm

I've been a pretty loyal listener / watcher the last 2+ years. Some great info, excellent guests (Jeff Ma of Protrade, Baseball Prospectus gang + others) and an overall flow to the show that I really enjoy.
Schwartz (King of stats) has the solid factual information, while Siano brings an every man vibe to the show. Both know their stuff in terms baseball, fantasy or otherwise.
Check out the show, if you haven't. They offer podcasts on the MLB website, it's well worth the 55 minutes per day (M-F).
I too belong to one of the Fantasy Baseball Mafia leagues (Keeper #12), and enjoy the competition.
;-D
sharkraider
T-Ball Trainer

Postby Slapweasel » Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:41 pm

I've been listening since around 2001 or 2002. I rate this web-show as my #1 source of insight before and during a season. They do a great job of quickly breaking down your league format into facts you can quickly use. Even though Cory is a bit smarmy, his assessments are well-reasoned and keen. Mike takes his abuse quite often and has the perfect personality to absorb, deflect and turn Cory's barbs back to the matters-at-hand. I, too, listen for the entertainment value on top of the information.

This is a great show that is nicely condensed into an hour's-worth of pertinent, digestable information. For those of you who are just tuning in, remember...

-Have a strategy but be flexible
-Don't confuse the decision with the outcome
-Flags Fly Forever
-The Self-Proclaimed Voice Of Truth And Reason-
-Your Friendly Neighborhood Slapweasel-
...I'm Your Huckleberry.
Slapweasel
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Rounders » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:37 am

The wikipedia page for fantasy 411 used to be pretty big. Does anyone know what happened to all the content? Did it just become too cluttered and they tried to condense it?
Rounders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bigwords » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:27 am

I listen, but mostly for the entertainment value.
Cory knows his stuff, but on the other hand, he can be pretty obnoxiously pompous at times. He obviously doesn't care very much what other people think, whether he's ranting how the media hasn't given players accused of steroid use a fair shake or chewing gum right next to a microphone. Giving a strong opinion is fine, but he tends to insult all those who disagree with him. (Plus, he's not nearly as smart as he thinks he is.)
Mike is much better than people give him credit for. He's a pretty good straight man and has a good future in radio.
Unfortunately, both are a little too addicted to their own strategic masterplan. For instance, "pitch or ditch" is a good strategy, but both are truly awful at identifying good spot starts. They should retire that segment. Also, they often advocate the obvious, i.e. trade two players for one stud, offers that would likely generate more insults than anything else.
The tamdem work best when they are talking off the cuff, relating how fantasy and their real lives intertwine. The segment with Jeff Ma is definitely a highlight, or pretty much anytime a guest comes on, and Cory keeps his enormous ego in check. They are on their ballgame about important fantasy news, prospects to watch, breakout pitchers.
And the show would be even better if they limited callers from naming their entire rosters or looking for approval on every 15 player trade in an 8-team league.
That said, obviously I do listen to the show, so they do something right. Just don't take everything they say literally. The road to 3rd place is paved with Cory's opinions.
Last edited by bigwords on Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigwords
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Esen » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:02 am

Also Mike made a good point the other day, He plays in only really tough leagues, no family leagues.
I trust his advice as much as I trust Cory.
No matter where you get advice from, you should always research it,

They are a good combo. better then most other radio sources out there.
AND... They dont sugar coat ya, they tell ya exactly how it is. Still with good humor
~Erik
Esen
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 6)

Postby d18Mike » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:31 am

Loyal listener to the 411 show since its earilest days ... in my opinion there are only two fantasy baseball podcasts worth listening to: Fantasy 411 and the Baseball HQ podcast, which, alas is weekly.

The chemistry of the 411 has never been better than it is right now -- Corey and Mike work exceptionally well together on air. Reminds of a bit of the NPR Car Talk program -- genuine expertise peppered with some good-natured banter.

I've heard Corey being criticized recently as being highly opinionated. That's absurd. People tune and call-in for his opinion - what else should he be? When he makes a mistake, he is the first person to admit it. The force of their personalities is what makes the show fly. Making a daily program consistently interesting is hard work! And when it sounds as fun as they make it, you know they are doing a great job.
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Havok1517 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:27 pm

Esen wrote:Also Mike made a good point the other day, He plays in only really tough leagues, no family leagues.
I trust his advice as much as I trust Cory.
No matter where you get advice from, you should always research it,

They are a good combo. better then most other radio sources out there.
AND... They dont sugar coat ya, they tell ya exactly how it is. Still with good humor

For sure, but Mike needs to win a tough league and experience what it feels like. I'm sure he will but until he does he's Ernie Banks, Charles Barkley, & Dan Marino. All 3 are HOFs but all 3 lacked something that would have made them whole. Funny stuff. lol jk.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 122)

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:01 pm

One item I'd put on the wish-list to make the show even better is for them to not do filler material for 15 straight minutes before heading straight to the phone calls. They could be giving more nuts n' bolts fantasy insight during the first several minutes of the show. I'm all for warming up with some banter, but sometimes that's all it is for 15 minutes before they take callers with trade questions on 6-for-6 deals. (The types of calls they get aren't their fault, of course).

I like the Pitch or Ditch segment, and to me their jokes about that have been the funniest ones (I still laugh at the line: "I trust Adam Loewen...").

Again, I dig the show overall and am a loyal listener, so these are minor complaints.
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers