Strategy to block streaming in a H2H league - ethical? WHIR! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Strategy to block streaming in a H2H league - ethical? WHIR!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Strategy to block streaming in a H2H league - ethical? WHIR!

Postby acertijo » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:35 pm

I'm in first place (by a lot) in a 10 team H2H league. A couple of guys have been streaming pitchers against me, basically guaranteeing wins and K's and usually losing ERA and WHIP. I mostly find it frustrating because it's generally a strategy used to cover up your poor drafting and waiver management.

I fully understand that it is not against the rules to stream and that many managers do it.

I am considering implementing my anti-streaming strategy when the playoffs start. Basically, what I plan to do is this: On each day during the playoffs, I will add and drop every non-rostered pitcher who is supposed to be starting in the next 2-3 days. By doing so, each of them will be on waivers and unavailable for streamers to pick up before their actual start. I'll just set aside one spot on my roster to be the anti-streaming position (with no expectations to play whoever winds up in that spot), and use the rest of my players as usual.

I'm pretty sure it will work to block streaming in the playoffs. I'm curious what you all think about the idea of doing this? I really don't like the idea, but I also don't like the idea of automatically losing two of five pitching categories each week during the playoffs to these managers who function like robots and have no idea how to put together an actual team.

Leave a link and I'll be happy to provide feedback to others!

Thanks!
acertijo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Strategy to block streaming in a H2H league - ethical? WHIR!

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:52 pm

If you can sleep at night, I still see some problems:

1. All league-related transactions will be executed with the intent of improving the owner's team and/or its standing within the league.
2. No owner may drop or "dump" players from their team for any reason other than improving their own team and/or its standing within the league.

3. No owner will engage in any action that may be deemed to be collusive (two or more owners agreeing to make moves that benefit one team, but not the other).
4. No owner will make any roster moves (including waiver claims, trade proposals, etc.) whose sole purpose is to hamper the play of other owners.
5. No owner will take any action whose purpose is to, in any way, interfere with fair play in a league.

And, unless you plan on keeping those players for a day, it doesn't matter. Players picked up and dropped on the same day go back as FA.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:12 pm

Lofunzo wrote:And, unless you plan on keeping those players for a day, it doesn't matter. Players picked up and dropped on the same day go back as FA.

Exactly. Players don't go on waivers unless you have them on your roster for a day. If you can afford 2-3 roster spots to churn you can burn them pretty good anyway. You don't need to pick up everyone.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 377)

Postby CBMGreatOne » Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:07 pm

What you describe is called "roster churning" and is considered unethical at the very least, and perhaps cheating at worst.

Lofunzo is right to quote the yahoo fair play and sportsmanship section. What you would be doing would pretty clearly be in violation of items 1 and 4.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby talan37 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:03 am

Yeah, churning is bad news. Next year either join a league that doesn't allow streaming, or in your league implement some or all of these rules:

Max moves-Prevent people from endless streaming
Trade Deadline-You have to do playoffs with your team, no streaming/pickups during playoffs.
FA pickups only on certain days of the week.(My auction league uses sunday bidding)
A couple of other things you can do as well.

Trade deadline is probably the easiest thing to implement, and imho you should have anyway, playoffs shouldn't be about who can get lucky streaming players not even on there team, but about the team you drafted and built over the year.
Check out my blog at http://www.rotopulse.com for fantasy baseball analysis, injury reports, commissioner info and more. For laughs check out http://www.sportshysterics.com
talan37
College Coach
College Coach

Trivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby CraigMasbruch » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:38 pm

I've been in a Y! H2H league for about 5 years, and a number of owners employ streaming. We simply consider it a fun alternative to your average roto league, in which a number of alternative strategies can be employed. Some people go with all closers and middle relievers. Others draft closers and stream starters. Others boot HR and go for avg, steals, and runs. I have begun streaming certain position players based on what pitcher/park they are facing. For us, it makes it fun, although it certainly degrades the credibility of the league. Mainly, it seriously devalues starting pitchers. But we all go into the year knowing this, so we draft accordingly, and it's a level playing field. What you need to do is take a vote before next year's draft. If most owners like the freedom to employ their personal strategy, you're stuck in an "alternative" league like me, and you may have to join or start a new one if you want a more "serious" league. I plan to do that next year, but I'll still play in this league, as I win every year!
CraigMasbruch
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Bloody Sox » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:47 pm

Lofunzo wrote:If you can sleep at night, I still see some problems:

1. All league-related transactions will be executed with the intent of improving the owner's team and/or its standing within the league.
2. No owner may drop or "dump" players from their team for any reason other than improving their own team and/or its standing within the league.

3. No owner will engage in any action that may be deemed to be collusive (two or more owners agreeing to make moves that benefit one team, but not the other).
4. No owner will make any roster moves (including waiver claims, trade proposals, etc.) whose sole purpose is to hamper the play of other owners.
5. No owner will take any action whose purpose is to, in any way, interfere with fair play in a league.

And, unless you plan on keeping those players for a day, it doesn't matter. Players picked up and dropped on the same day go back as FA.

Well, I'd say that at most he'd be in violation only of #4 as he would be improving his own standing in the league (#1), he would be helping his team by dropping those players (#2) and I don't really think its unfair (#5). Even #4 is debatable since he's not really hampering the play of other owners - they have as much of an opportunity to grab those players. I do agree that the way to fix this "problem" is to institute a max IP rule.

That said, from a strategy standpoint, you can use it to your advantage. Stick to the league minimum in IP and try to make sure you win ERA/WHIP. In our league, we use H, BB, and ER instead of ERA/WHIP, so its even easier and more rewarding. Trade for more closers to make sure you win 3/5 pitching categories. And focus more on offense.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby Snakes Gould » Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:33 am

its definitely not cheating but thats not the way to go. by churning they basically are giving up era and whip. make sure you win those categories plus saves and you should be ok.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bravo369 » Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:23 pm

I consider this a strategy and find it completely unethical if you try to stop it. I started doing this in my league because it seemed like every pitcher got hurt. I had to fill up my roster somehow even if they stunk. You may call it cheating but in some situations, we have no one else to turn to so we have to keep picking up new pitchers. Don't penalize me...or others in your league just because you had a good draft and your players stayed healthy...not to mention that you are only starting to do it now that it might potentially affect you in the playoffs.
bravo369 Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby FLEX » Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

I can see if it is due to injuries..but see my thread- if someone is behind in Ks and Ws, and they drop 3 players and pick up 3 starting pitchers, on Friday for Sat and Sunday, that basically screws the other player- True they might lose in WHIP and ERA by just picking up anyone, but if they are already behind in those and just need Ws or Ks they screw the other team..
FLEX
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Return to Commissioner's Corner